JH MuppetVision 3D reopening report

Cmdr_Crimson

When I saw the show the timing was perfect, he was on screen, then in audience... not both spots.

This is a TRUE FACT! After the Theater explodes sweetums comes out to say "Wow is everyone okay?" Watch the screen he's on the right side in the crowd as the firetruck comes in!

Figment1986

This is a TRUE FACT! After the Theater explodes sweetums comes out to say "Wow is everyone okay?" Watch the screen he's on the right side in the crowd as the firetruck comes in!

Maybe it depends on his friend helping with the timing? Or I never seem to notive that I guess when I go back on friday I will see if that happens.

Also interesting: The CM in the theater said "No flash photography or external video lighting" anyone else have a CM say that, or was it just the one I had (probably was working at mermaid during the down time since that their spiel)

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
Perfect refurb. If they had REPLACED anything, I probably would have been concerned, but a cleaning is JUST what it needed.

s8film40

This is primarily a cost savings refurbishment. Replacing film projectors with video projectors will save them a huge amount of money, and with projector technology getting better and better it should only be a small sacrifice of quality. Lat's just hope they don't do this with some of the larger theaters. The relatively small screen in Muppet Vision is ok for this but when you start replacing projectors in some of the bigger theaters the decline in quality is much more noticeable.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
This is primarily a cost savings refurbishment. Replacing film projectors with video projectors will save them a huge amount of money, and with projector technology getting better and better it should only be a small sacrifice of quality. Lat's just hope they don't do this with some of the larger theaters. The relatively small screen in Muppet Vision is ok for this but when you start replacing projectors in some of the bigger theaters the decline in quality is much more noticeable.

All the opening reports indicate how much better the image quality is with the new projectors. No decline in quality.

Master Gracey 5

Sounds like everything is looking good in the theatre but there are a few bugs to work out. My guess is they will keep testing at night and get these cleaned up shortly but that they rushed the opening a bit to keep to schedule.

Still concerned about the rumor that they will change the preshow, if its still on when I next get down there, I'll make an effort to get there and videotape the whole thing.

All the opening reports indicate how much better the image quality is with the new projectors. No decline in quality.

Technically, a digital image should be of inferior quality to film. But, with the 3D effects translating better in digital and the film print probably looking awful, the new digital looks better (although it shouldn't)

s8film40

As wishesjake said it may be perceived as a higher quality image to the casual observer since the prints usually wear out fast from continuos daily use. Also since the screen is relatively small the decrease in resolution is not too noticeable and the brightness can be better on the video project since they don't have to worry about burning the film.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Technically, a digital image should be of inferior quality to film. But, with the 3D effects translating better in digital and the film print probably looking awful, the new digital looks better (although it shouldn't)

As wishesjake said it may be perceived as a higher quality image to the casual observer since the prints usually wear out fast from continuos daily use. Also since the screen is relatively small the decrease in resolution is not too noticeable and the brightness can be better on the video project since they don't have to worry about burning the film.

Absolutely, as you both say, film is of a higher resolution. However, we can only go on real world results, and the fact is, the digital image in Muppets is now considerably better than the previous film based image. This has to be chalked up to a good move, regardles of the theoritcal performance of film VS digital.

s8film40

Absolutely, as you both say, film is of a higher resolution. However, we can only go on real world results, and the fact is, the digital image in Muppets is now considerably better than the previous film based image. This has to be chalked up to a good move, regardles of the theoritcal performance of film VS digital.

Well yes for the most part. It is subjective though some of course will notice the loss of resolution, but even so on a screen of this size it's really only minor nitpicking. Personally I prefer watching film presentations, not just for the higher resolution but the other more undefinable qualities as well. My worry is though that someone will see the costs savings with minimal show impact going on at Muppets and get the idea to implement this in more film based attractions. While it's not too big of a deal at Muppets this could ruin an attraction like Soarin'.

tim911

As I stated above, I saw the opening show after the refurb. The image was definately clearer and brighter, but this could be from new bulbs and a "cleaned" optics path in the old projectors. My understanding of digital 3D films is that they only requires a single projector. I clearly saw 2 projectors operating during the presentation. Can anyone confirm if the film projectors were actually replaced for digital projectors??

anc33

I have no idea what was up with Sweetums - it was the weirdest thing! Unfortunately it seemed like a lot of people noticed - I saw quite a few people point up at the screen and whisper to each other. Kinda bad show, and ruins the effect of having Sweetums co-exist between screen and in-person...

I went yesterday and experienced the same thing. I wasn't aware if the people around me noticed but it definitely stood out to me.

RSoxNo1

As I stated above, I saw the opening show after the refurb. The image was definately clearer and brighter, but this could be from new bulbs and a "cleaned" optics path in the old projectors. My understanding of digital 3D films is that they only requires a single projector. I clearly saw 2 projectors operating during the presentation. Can anyone confirm if the film projectors were actually replaced for digital projectors??

I'm almost certain that disney digital 3d requires 2 projectors.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom