Jasmine's new look

No Name

Why was it bound to change? What am I missing?

Because
a) her costume is too revealing (whether you agree or not, that's what Disney seems to think)
b) they gave themselves the liberty of changing the other princesses oufits to ones that aren't seen in the movies, and so they basically gave themselves permission to cover up Jasmine
c) other posters who are "in the know" have said that Jasmine's costume would change

I don't neccessarily agree with the change or like the new costume. Perhaps "bound to change" wasn't the best wording. What I meant is: the points I listed above led this to be no surprise for me.

A note on point a)... I guess Ariel still has a rather revealing costume. Wonder if hers will change.

castevious

Because
a) her costume is too revealing (whether you agree or not, that's what Disney seems to think)
b) they gave themselves the liberty of changing the other princesses oufits to ones that aren't seen in the movies, and so they basically gave themselves permission to cover up Jasmine
c) other posters who are "in the know" have said that Jasmine's costume would change

I don't neccessarily agree with the change or like the new costume. Perhaps "bound to change" wasn't the best wording. What I meant is: the points I listed above led this to be no surprise for me.

A note on point a)... I guess Ariel still has a rather revealing costume. Wonder if hers will change.
I think Ariel's costume is safe and that the change happened to Jasmine based off of the culture of where the story takes place.

No Name

The directors of Aladdin and The Little Mermaid are the same ones working on Moana. Doesn't have much to do with this topic but I do find that a tad bit interesting.

Um, not a dig against you, but against Disney management: aren't they the ones that made her costume in the first place?!

Well, of course. But very few of those same individuals are still in the company today. And as you surely know, the conpany in 2016 is a very different one than which existed in the early 90s.

And on a side note: with the passage of time often comes a change in the way people think, and so even if "management" were comprised of the same individuals, those people might now consider it too revealing.

I think Ariel's costume is safe and that the change happened to Jasmine based off of the culture of where the story takes place.

Yeah, that's a big reason for the changes to the princess costumes in general. They're going for cultural/historical accuracy over accuracy to the movie. I'm a big history and culture guy, but even I think that's a misguided decision.

Last edited:

mousehockey37

Well, I'm late to the party on this one, but yeah, that's no Jasmine. The picture later of "Aladdin and Jasmine".... yeah, not them. There's good character look-alikes and then there's what was pictured.

I guess the Jasmine we're seeing now is from Family Guy's mockery of Aladdin 4: Jafar may need glasses, lol.

I mean, you watch the movies and then go to the parks expecting something close to the character. These are way out in left field.

I guess the next step is to de-clam Ariel?

Disney4family

Wow. If this is for historical reasons, maybe I can get more boys signed up for my College Level French class if I show them the tarted up new look of Belle and Cindy. Maybe the tousled hair and come hither looks could even be put in the curriculum guide for my French History course. Woo-hoo enrollment!

castevious

Well, I'm late to the party on this one, but yeah, that's no Jasmine. The picture later of "Aladdin and Jasmine".... yeah, not them. There's good character look-alikes and then there's what was pictured.

I guess the Jasmine we're seeing now is from Family Guy's mockery of Aladdin 4: Jafar may need glasses, lol.

I mean, you watch the movies and then go to the parks expecting something close to the character. These are way out in left field.

I guess the next step is to de-clam Ariel?
I still believe Ariel is safe. I think this was more about the specific culture Jasmine comes from.

mousehockey37

I still believe Ariel is safe. I think this was more about the specific culture Jasmine comes from.
It's probably nothing more than a few tourists who were "offended" honestly. Instead of Disney sticking up for themselves, they folded and put an outfit on Jasmine that has never existed anywhere in her being.

Ariel might be ok because well, to put it the way it is, she's a white girl with red hair that fills out her clam shells.

Remember, we live in a country where there are members of Congress who are in favor of bombing the fictional city of Agrabah....

castevious

It's probably nothing more than a few tourists who were "offended" honestly. Instead of Disney sticking up for themselves, they folded and put an outfit on Jasmine that has never existed anywhere in her existence.

Ariel might be ok because well, to put it the way it is, she's a white girl with red hair that fills out her clam shells.

Remember, we live in a country where there are members of Congress who are in favor of bombing the fictional city of Agrabah....
I've heard from a Jasmine friend of mine, that people ask all the time why she isn't wasn't covered up more.

mousehockey37

I've heard from a Jasmine friend of mine, that people ask all the time why she isn't covered up more.

It's Disney. This is the place where the cartoons come into reality. The expectation is that you will see a character performer that mirrors what you see on tv. Seeing this Jasmine is not that. Reality vs Fiction. Disney is the escape from Reality. I mean, c'mon now, Tinkerbell doesn't have that much to her costume... So Tink and Ariel better find ways to cover up... but then again, it's a cultural issue (which wasn't prevalent at the time of the making of the movie). So the American white girls will remain the way they are because, well, Murica and Jasmine will change because someone cried to a lawyer...

This is why there was somewhat of a shock the other year when WDW had the VSS for MNSSHP and it was the green Maleficent and not the live action one.

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
It's Disney. This is the place where the cartoons come into reality. The expectation is that you will see a character performer that mirrors what you see on tv. Seeing this Jasmine is not that. Reality vs Fiction. Disney is the escape from Reality. I mean, c'mon now, Tinkerbell doesn't have that much to her costume... So Tink and Ariel better find ways to cover up... but then again, it's a cultural issue (which wasn't prevalent at the time of the making of the movie). So the American white girls will remain the way they are because, well, Murica and Jasmine will change because someone cried to a lawyer...

No. The accuracy of your escapism is NOT worth exacerbating the sexual harrassment these girls have to put up with on a daily basis just to make y'all happy.

castevious

No. The accuracy of your escapism is NOT worth exacerbating the sexual harrassment these girls have to put up with on a daily basis just to make y'all happy.
Which I have heard is one of the reasons you do not see characters like Esmeralda walking around Disneyland.
In case anyone wanted to know, I have asked my friends who gets to choose when the Jasmines wear a coat and when they don't. It was always their choice. Most of them felt comfortable enough wearing the outfit they wore. If they didn't feel comfortable, it was usually because they didn't feel confident with how they looked that day.

mousehockey37

I agree that they shouldn't have to take the harrassment, but they also know what they're auditioning for when they go in. They know that Ariel wears clam shells, that Jasmine has a skipmy top, that Tink has her small outfit with big wings... This isn't some "new" thing.

What next? Are we going to silence Gaston? Maybe give him a down-to-earth look and say, make him not look like he's on Performance Enhancers?

mousehockey37

Actually, thinking about it... there is one character that they should look at before Jasmine...

How about Tarzan? He comes out on occasion for training and such, and you guessed it... it's a loin cloth... C'mon Disney, you can let a guy dress like an ape man wearing nothing but a rag over his stuff, but Jasmine's a problem?

Guess the offended people liked looking at Tarzan's total package, lol, so that was A-OK in their eyes...

Last edited:

castevious

Actually, thinking about it... there is one character that they should look at before Jasmin...

How about Tarzan? He comes out on occasion for training and such, and you guessed it... it's a loin cloth... C'mon Disney, you can let a guy dress like an ape man wearing nothing but a rag over his stuff, but Jasmin's a problem?

Guess the offended people liked looking at Tarzan's total package, lol, so that was A-OK in their eyes...
It's a different type of offense. It's not that we see more skin, it's that in the area where Aladdin takes place, women are expected to cover up their bodies. I don't get the need for change, but that is the key reason for it.

mousehockey37

It's a different type of offense. It's not that we see more skin, it's that in the area where Aladdin takes place, women are expected to cover up their bodies. I don't get the need for change, but that is the key reason for it.
The need for change is because more than likely, someone got offended, called a lawyer and it went somewhere. There are more tasteful ways to dress Jasmine that fit the movie.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom