Jasmine's new look

mouse_luv

Who in their right mind thought it was a good idea to put Jasmine in a dress? Epic Fail. Looks like the costuming dept doesn't watch Disney movies, or they would've known better. :facepalm:

TsWade2

Look, I know people have their own opinions and all, but I don't think it's to bad. It could of been worse than that. I sometimes don't understand why Disney fans are so cynical at times? It's like you guys hated Disney now.:(

gobstoper27

Look, I know people have their own opinions and all, but I don't think it's to bad. It could of been worse than that. I sometimes don't understand why Disney fans are so cynical at times? It's like you guys hated Disney now.:(
I dont think that having the opinion that this outfit is butt ugly is being cynical. I just saw this picture and thought ewww, the costume isn't aesthetically pleasing. Doesn't mean anyone hates Disney, but I can really only speak for myself.

Jones14

I'm still of the opinion that if their concern was modesty (for the safety of the performers) that they should have commissioned the purple dress she appears in at the end of the film. This is a weird hybrid of a dress and the original outfit that looks weird mainly because it combines a dress with pants and a crop top. Her finale look would have been much better.

berlioz70

Jasmine's new look (same with Poca and Mulan) was redesigned with a focus on being more culturally sensitive and less with a focus on the movie. During the time frame the movie is set, royalty dressed conservatively. A women who showed skin (arms, chest, mid-drift, etc) was selling her body. This doesn't mean you have to like the look, but knowing the history here is important. Disney is trying to fix the poor research the animators did when they made the move 25 years ago.

A quick google search of "historically accurate Jasmine" will show several different fan interpretations of what Jasmine would have actually worn, here is an interesting read: Historically Accurate Jasmine

castevious

Jasmine's new look (same with Poca and Mulan) was redesigned with a focus on being more culturally sensitive and less with a focus on the movie. During the time frame the movie is set, royalty dressed conservatively. A women who showed skin (arms, chest, mid-drift, etc) was selling her body. This doesn't mean you have to like the look, but knowing the history here is important. Disney is trying to fix the poor research the animators did when they made the move 25 years ago.

A quick google search of "historically accurate Jasmine" will show several different fan interpretations of what Jasmine would have actually worn, here is an interesting read: Historically Accurate Jasmine
I think the problem most people are having, me included, is that it's more the material that was used than the actual look. The material looks cheap and lazy. I'm guessing it probably looks better in person but right now it looks to be on par with what they sell to kids in the parks or at Halloween Stores. I understand the less skin showing for Jasmine and I actually applaud that move, but they could have done a better job with the finished product. Hopefully Disney is only testing the waters with this look and will go back and make some updates to it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom