Jasmine's new look

SorcererMC

That's what I keep thinking and am surprised that few others see this as both a money making and a cost savings move.

1) My suspicion is that this started with Disney observing that African American girls identified with and wanted to dress up like Tiana. But Asian, Native American and Muslim girls did not identify with Mulan, Pocahontas or Jasmine and weren't as interested in buying Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique packages like Tiana fans were. At the same time, Latin American girls had no princess at all to relate to. In response, Disney created the Elena character and simultaneously updated Jasmine, Mulan and Pocahontas to have culturally appropriate outfits with more intricate detailing that girls would remember, better identify with and want to emulate. You just need to look to how Elena was marketed recently: her costume has "14 yards of crimson colored satin, embroidered with more than 900 flowers that represent her fairytale kingdom and family. Her crown holds 222 dazzling jewels." The costume enhancements for Mulan, Pocahontas and Jasmine are all in the same vein -- layers of texture and detail to get more girls of the related heritage to want to emulate ... want to BE ... that princess.

I would add - not only girls of the related heritage - but so any girl who wants to could be that princess, and that it would be 'allowed' or approved.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
That's what I keep thinking and am surprised that few others see this as both a money making and a cost savings move.

1) My suspicion is that this started with Disney observing that African American girls identified with and wanted to dress up like Tiana. But Asian, Native American and Muslim girls did not identify with Mulan, Pocahontas or Jasmine and weren't as interested in buying Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique packages like Tiana fans were. At the same time, Latin American girls had no princess at all to relate to. In response, Disney created the Elena character and simultaneously updated Jasmine, Mulan and Pocahontas to have culturally appropriate outfits with more intricate detailing that girls would remember, better identify with and want to emulate. You just need to look to how Elena was marketed recently: her costume has "14 yards of crimson colored satin, embroidered with more than 900 flowers that represent her fairytale kingdom and family. Her crown holds 222 dazzling jewels." The costume enhancements for Mulan, Pocahontas and Jasmine are all in the same vein -- layers of texture and detail to get more girls of the related heritage to want to emulate ... want to BE ... that princess.

2) Secondly for Jasmine, I think that Disney loved the idea of having more flexibility in their casting - by covering up Jasmine she no longer needs to be thin and trim with a darker complexion.

Yeah just like Alladin in FL a pudgy freshman in ill fitting costume, In DL has a six pack. What can I say Disney no longer cares about SHOW in FL and it shows.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom