Jasmine's new look

Fable McCloud

Look, I'm fine if they change the dress, but I don't see why the wig had to be changed. If they kept the hair the same it would be easier for kids to understand that this is Jasmine.

I liked the way she looked before, but the purple dress would have been a nice change. Just saying.

DisneyGigi

The reason to cover up skin for Jasmine is not because there is skin showing but for culture reasons. Which is why Ariel and Tarzan are safe. Although, you do not very often see Ariel in mermaid form except for shows and parades which would mean there would be no need to change anything. Usually, the Ariels get to decide if they want to wear the nude coverings or not (at least this was the case in the past and I'm assuming it still is at times). Most of the time the girls make the decision based off of weather and temperatures. In Disneyland, they have the nude tops with the shells for Soundsational but there are also decorations and glitter on the outfit as well.
So, this movie has been out, since 1992, are they going to edit it, in future releases as well, for cultural reasons? I am sorry but this is stupid, whether it be for so many years down the road, need to change it, or for weirdos I apparently did not know existed. Who hits on a Disney character? Sad... World, either way you look at it.

mousehockey37

I've heard Disneyland stopped having Esmeralda walk around the park on a regular basis due to the lack of respect and offers should would get from guys. I also believe, there is a similar reason to why Jack Sparrow stopped walking around the parks. I don't, these are things I have heard from people that work in entertainment and are "friends" with some of the characters.

So honestly you could be providing bus driver hearsay.

We do, but at the same time a big change affects both parks.

Not always. WDW's ToT isn't getting overhauled and that's a big change.

mouse_luv

Women in Jasmines culture and time period were actually dressed more scantilly clad than she is in the Parks and film. The only thing shes missing is the veil over her face.

mousehockey37

So, this movie has been out, since 1992, are they going to edit it, in future releases as well, for cultural reasons? I am sorry but this is stupid, whether it be for so many years down the road, need to change it, or for weirdos I apparently did not know existed. Who hits on a Disney character? Sad... World, either way you look at it.

This is why Song of the South will never see the light of day again. Who knows, maybe someone will find something culturally wrong with Splash Mountain and Disney will be forced to change it.

castevious

So honestly you could be providing bus driver hearsay.

Not always. WDW's ToT isn't getting overhauled and that's a big change.

Take what I say for what you want. The information I am giving you is possible information to help you understand how Disney reacts to things guests do. I am trying to be as honest with the information to you as I can, I am not claiming these as facts but at the same time I am not exaggerating what I am saying. It's up to you to decide how you want to use this information.

In regards to ToT, that is an attraction and we are talking about a characters outfit. Today, Jasmine debuted this new look at Disneyland, which shows the consistency in what I am saying about when they retire a costume, it usually affects both Resorts.

21stamps

One of the safety reasons was that friends of Jasmine's not eating well since they had a image to maintain
Is that a fact?

If it is then I think it is equally ridiculous. Why take a job for a specific character if you have a body image issue, including if you are worried about looking good in the costume? You know what you are signing up for.

Oh, and being thin, or having a flat stomach, has nothing to do with "not eating well".. Most eat better than those who are not.
I am so sick of all of this PC stuff. Against women, body shaming, thin = anorexic mindsets..and the Women should cover up so men will behave. Etc etc.

It is an insult to women.

DisneyGigi

This is why Song of the South will never see the light of day again. Who knows, maybe someone will find something culturally wrong with Splash Mountain and Disney will be forced to change it.
It does see the light of day. I own the dvd. The only thing that was accomplished, was an amazing actor, was forgotten. No one knows his name, except for those that will never forget, what a great job he did, acting, in a role! When Gone With the Wind is banned.. Maybe I will get it. Especially when I have been through the Great Movie Ride and taken many photos of Scarlett's BBQ dress. Yet, this man is forgotten? Again, stupid. His name was James Baskett, and Splash Mountain is my favorite ride because of the stories he told, to a first grader in the auditorioum. Both of my kids know the movie well, and I promise you, they know the name of the awesome actor that portrayed Uncle Remus.

21stamps

"People need to fix themselves." That extends far beyond Disney. That's a societal problem created by celebs, social media and TV.

"Eject anyone who acts inappropriately." Well, let's see the rules on that. Followed by the enforcement, followed by the lawsuits... Good luck with that one.
You're right. It's totally acceptable that women are expected to change because of the actions of men.
It's also totally acceptable to change something that has been around for years and years because it is offensive to a few.

Last edited:

mouse_luv

It does see the light of day. I own the dvd. The only thing that was accomplished, was an amazing actor, was forgotten. No one knows his name, except for those that will never forget, what a great job he did, acting, in a role! When Gone With the Wind is banned.. Maybe I will get it. Especially when I have been through the Great Movie Ride and taken many photos of Scarlett's BBQ dress. Yet, this man is forgotten? Again, stupid. His name was James Baskett, and Splash Mountain is my favorite ride because of the stories he told, to a first grader in the auditorioum. Both of my kids know the movie well, and I promise you, they know the name of the awesome actor that portrayed Uncle Remus.

I'm pretty sure the point that @mousehockey37 was trying to make was that Disney has banned anything regarding Song of the South from Disney Parks except for SM b/c they can get away w/telling the story without being called complete racists. The movie will never be released from the vault for the rest of humanity to partake in because of PC crap.

DisneyGigi

I'm pretty sure the point that @mousehockey37 was trying to make was that Disney has banned anything regarding Song of the South from Disney Parks except for SM b/c they can get away w/telling the story without being called complete racists. The movie will never be released from the vault for the rest of humanity to partake in because of PC crap.
Yes, I posted my same thoughts in another thread. Just wanted to reiterate, that the only thing they did, was let an amazing actor, never be known to todays generation. It is sad, was my only point. Gone with the Wind was just as racist, if it was in portraying a movie, story from that time period. That is all I am saying. :-/

mouse_luv

Yes, I posted my same thoughts in another thread. Just wanted to reiterate, that the only thing they did, was let an amazing actor, never be known to todays generation. It is sad, was my only point. Gone with the Wind was just as racist, if it was in portraying a movie, story from that time period. That is all I am saying. :-/

I agree because I am a big advocate for not erasing the "truths" of history because of PC crap.

Ag11gani

First of all I hate the costume. Maybe it could have looked better if it didn't look like it was from target and they kept the old wig (They update Jasmine's but not Elsa's?). And will this be world wide or just US? And if it is worldwide will Tokyo get it too? Although Tokyo seems to be very slow on update characters and they don't get the new charcters either.

ninjaprincesst

Lol, oversensitiveness strikes again. Gotta love it. Who truly cares if it is historically accurate? Its a fictional animated children's film, their target audience doesn't care, why should we? This is getting ridiculous. Way to go special snowflakes, you win again. :banghead:
Yes, the kids want the Jasmine from the movie period the end not this cheap party city crap that looks nothing like the character they know, I just showed it to my 6 year old niece and she asked who is the girl with Genie?

Goofyernmost

Her costume was bound to change, I guess. For multiple reasons. Some misguided reasons, some which I can agree with.

My biggest problem is that if you dress a young adult in something that the character they're portraying hasn't worn before... are they that character? What makes that person Jasmine? The fact that they're of the same ethnicity, and, well, are wearing blue and gold clothing?

And as for someone not too familiar with Jasmine and Disney princesses in general, would they recognize her? How much more difficult is it now for a young child to recognize and identify that park character? When they look back in pictures 50 years from now, will it be harder to tell who that is?

I really don't know. I'm not a young child, I'm too familiar with the characters, and I don't know how the characters are marketed and such today. And I don't know how popular Jasmine will be in 50 years. I just wonder.
That's some pretty deep thinking considering you are talking about a fictional character from a cartoon feature imitated by a college student in costume. In that situation Jasmine can be whatever the want to make her, I'm thinking. Just tell the kids that her other outfit is in the laundry or drying on the line or some other made up excuse.

berlioz70

Does anyone actually know the reason for the change?

All of the princess '98 and earlier went through a redesign, Jasmine is the last one of the series. During the redesign process, Poca, Mulan, and Jasmine were reevaluated as these princesses represent specific ethnicities and cultures. Instead of sticking to the movie animations, the designer studied time periods and spoke with experts to ensure they were representing these ladies correctly.

When my 3 year old daughter, with tan skin, brown eyes, and brown curly hair, saw THIS MOANA trailer and said, "Mommy, that's me," I was quickly reminded how little girls see themselves in these characters. If more young girls are able to see themselves in Jasmine because she better represents them, then I don't care what anyone says about her new look - quite honestly, most of us are not the target audience for the change.

The discussions about performer comfort, complaints to Disney, safety, etc... are not the reasons the costume was changed. Those are simply internet rumors & gossip (though the situations described do/did happen). There are no changes coming for Ariel or Tarzan.

I just showed my daughter a photo of the new costume - she had no problem identifying that it was Jasmine in less than 5 seconds - and she's 3.

Last edited:

mouse_luv

All of the princess '98 and earlier went through a redesign, Jasmine is the last one of the series. During the redesign process, Poca, Mulan, and Jasmine were reevaluated as these princesses represent specific ethnicities and cultures. Instead of sticking to the movie animations, the designer studied time periods and spoke with experts to ensure they were representing these ladies correctly.

When my 3 year old daughter, with tan skin, brown eyes, and brown curly hair, saw THIS MOANA trailer and said, "Mommy, that's me," I was quickly reminded how little girls see themselves in these characters. If more young girls are able to see themselves in Jasmine because she better represents them, then I don't care what anyone says about her new look - quite honestly, most of us are not the target audience for the change.

The discussions about performer comfort, complaints to Disney, safety, etc... are not the reasons the costume was changed. Those are simply internet rumors & gossip (though the situations described do/did happen). There are no changes coming for Ariel or Tarzan.

I guess it's the mindset and time period you grew up in as well. Myself and others I knew once had the little girl mentality and even with the way Jasmine was dressed in the movie I still had a friend of her culture and also one not of her culture still be able to relate to her, it had nothing to do if she was dressed in a bra top and balloon pants or a dress. (shrug)

And as far as this "expert" and "designer" they got Jasmine wrong in this redesign if they are trying to represent her time period and "culture"

21stamps

I just showed my daughter a photo of the new costume - she had no problem identifying that it was Jasmine in less than 5 seconds - and she's 3.
The new costume is not historically accurate either. But at the end of the day, it's a character from a fictional animated movie.
Do they now need to remake the movie and take the old one out of circulation? No and No.

Your reasons are much better than the 'body image' one. It still doesn't make sense though. Regardless of if Jasmine is dressed as a belly dancer, or dressed in this horrible attire (which could be much better with a different belt), she still "looks" like a lot of middle eastern girls.

Oh well. Another loss to becoming so PC that we have to now redo things that weren't really a problem in the first place.

21stamps

I was just as outraged with the new Barbies..lol.

I don't think everything needs to be "realistic"...depending the context.

But anyway, I'm tall (in heels ;) ), thin, and not at all curvy. When is there going to be a Disney princess or Barbie that represents me?! Guess what though..I still loved Barbie in all of her non anatomically correct glory..and I didn't need to aspire to look like her. Ditto with the Disney Princesses.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom