Jasmine's new look

21stamps

On the Barbie subject, I hate the new ones too. As a kid, I never thought about what her body looked like... kids don't think about things like that until adults bring it up. I think there were good intentions with the new Barbie designs, but it sounds like it would only cause more problems. What if a little kid is playing with the shorter curvier Barbie, and his or her friend has the tall and thin one? If they try to share clothes, and realize the outfits don't fit or like right on the opposite dolls, how is that going to make them feel?

As for Jasmine, I totally agree that she should be represented the way she is in the movie, and if guests are harassing her then they need to find another way to take care of it. Her character has been out in the parks for so long, it seems ridiculous to make such a drastic change now. And even with covering her stomach, they could still have made the costume look more like the character in the film-- she didn't need such a high collar on the dress, or the sleeves at the very least...

Exactly.

A Doll and a Disney Princess.

These are the things that people are getting offended over...and need to be "changed" to satisfy those people.

This world has gone BSC on so many levels.

TsWade2

This maybe sound weird, but the truth is, I can't criticize it. I mean, I know it's not what we wanted, but I can't rant about it all the time, because it'll lead me to obsession and it's not healthy for me. I will say, however, that it just probably needs a little more work on the wig. Just trim the lose fangs, then I'll accept it. You guys don't have to like it, but all you need to do for my sake, don't let this bug you and just enjoy how you love disney so much the best you can. Sorry I just don't want to be too cynical.

Last edited:

LongLiveTheKing

Good...lord. Who designed that thing - Ben Cooper?

serveimage
This is Snow White brought to you by Silence Of The Lambs

LongLiveTheKing

I completely sympathize with the need for a redesign. What I don't understand is why the costumers went to such lengths. You want to cover up her tummy? Fine, use a flesh-tone panel (a la Ariel's mermaid design) or swap the bikini for a fuller-coverage bustier. But why change the wig? Why go to such lengths to cover every bit of bare skin? Why alter the overall color? As a costumer myself, I just don't understand the need for such radical changes. There were plenty of ways to tweak the design in order to give the cast member fuller coverage, but instead we were given something with little resemblance to the original character.

I love the robed version of Jasmine that I've seen in other parks. I also love the purple outfit she wears in the original movie. Both would have been perfectly acceptable (and certainly more canon) options. Why were these not considered?

View attachment 159325 View attachment 159326
Yeah, both the robe and purple dress would have worked pretty well. I'm suspecting the main reason for the current costume was to advertise the children Jasmine costume... When they could have just gone with theses, even if the latter doesn't scream middle east as much as the current costume.

No Name

That's some pretty deep thinking considering you are talking about a fictional character from a cartoon feature imitated by a college student in costume. In that situation Jasmine can be whatever the want to make her, I'm thinking. Just tell the kids that her other outfit is in the laundry or drying on the line or some other made up excuse.

Sure, but my real concern is whether some people will even recognize the character. Excuses won't even come into play if those kids don't even know who it is they're looking at.

It's especially concerning today, since fewer and fewer parkgoers have seen the movie Aladdin. And since there are now more princesses, especially more that are not European.

Daveeeeed

Sure, but my real concern is whether some people will even recognize the character. Excuses won't even come into play if those kids don't even know who it is they're looking at.
It's all silly. I hate crap moves like this that try to please everyone. It's not going to happen. And on top of it there's nothing wrong with the costume how it was, what about the belly dancer in Morocco? What about Tarzan? What about Ariel? In the end I should care less why they did it, but the idea just hurts my brain. We really are going backwards from a secular leaning society on culture like clothing to one lead by differing religious views of modesty etc. in order to please everyone. I know I won't be getting a picture with Jasmine ever again, the costume quality stinks, and the change to please people too. I'll go see Tiana or Belle (I like them both better anyways).

radiorae

I'm almost positive Jasmine wore an outfit like the new one in an episode of the animated series once.
Actually... now that you mention it, it does look similar to her wedding dress in Aladdin and the King of Thieves (one of the direct-to-video sequels). Maybe not in color, but general structure.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    47.8 KB · Views: 98
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    218.3 KB · Views: 102

LongLiveTheKing

Actually... now that you mention it, it does look similar to her wedding dress in Aladdin and the King of Thieves (one of the direct-to-video sequels). Maybe not in color, but general structure.
Are we talking about the new dress linked in the OP? I don't see any resemblance between these pictures and the new park Jasmine dress even if not accounting for color. The arm pieces and clavical fanning thing are totally different in both dresses and even the collar doesn't look the same.

radiorae

Are we talking about the new dress linked in the OP? I don't see any resemblance between these pictures and the new park Jasmine dress even if not accounting for color. The arm pieces and clavical fanning thing are totally different in both dresses and even the collar doesn't look the same.

I didn't mean to imply that this was somehow "the dress" used for her new look. I meant more to agree with Matt that there are definite similarities between the two in general make up-- in particular, the long sleeves, the cuffs on the sleeves, the high-style collar, the addition of a second collar/neckline (it isn't structured the same, but they also took out aurora's pointy shoulder things in her new dress too, so I don't think they would keep that particular detail, even if they did somehow use this dress as a model) the belt, a more flowing type bottom... The similarities are there. The color and materials may be different, but they aren't entirely unlike eachother.

Last edited:

Bocabear

It's just not Jasmine... Try putting snow white in a pink pants suit and see if anyone knows who it is...If they are doing characters from Disney films, the Characters should match their on-screen counterparts....why is this so hard to understand... They need to stop messing with it, and just let it be the character from the movie...Not "Jasmine's More Formal affair that never happened in the movie" costume... Or "Jasmine goes shopping at the Mall" costume... Stick to representing the film character as shown in the film...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom