Jasmine's new look

Magenta Panther

Good...lord. Who designed that thing - Ben Cooper?

serveimage

GiveMeTheMusic

There is no culturally correct version of Jasmine. She's from a fictional place in a fictional time period. Who wants to meet some committee-designed culturally correct version of a character anyway? The movie sets the look. This deviates entirely from the character's look in the movie. It's senseless, just like the ludicrous Mulan dress that has nothing to do with Mulan.

And I don't wanna go all SJW here, but you'll notice the white princesses look like their film looks, just more frilly and fancy. The ethnic princesses get redesigned beyond recognition.

Demeter Tess

I completely sympathize with the need for a redesign. What I don't understand is why the costumers went to such lengths. You want to cover up her tummy? Fine, use a flesh-tone panel (a la Ariel's mermaid design) or swap the bikini for a fuller-coverage bustier. But why change the wig? Why go to such lengths to cover every bit of bare skin? Why alter the overall color? As a costumer myself, I just don't understand the need for such radical changes. There were plenty of ways to tweak the design in order to give the cast member fuller coverage, but instead we were given something with little resemblance to the original character.

I love the robed version of Jasmine that I've seen in other parks. I also love the purple outfit she wears in the original movie. Both would have been perfectly acceptable (and certainly more canon) options. Why were these not considered?

jasmine1.jpg jasmine2.jpg

mouse_luv

There is no culturally correct version of Jasmine. She's from a fictional place in a fictional time period. Who wants to meet some committee-designed culturally correct version of a character anyway? The movie sets the look. This deviates entirely from the character's look in the movie. It's senseless, just like the ludicrous Mulan dress that has nothing to do with Mulan.

And I don't wanna go all SJW here, but you'll notice the white princesses look like their film looks, just more frilly and fancy. The ethnic princesses get redesigned beyond recognition.

Actually there is, but you have to be willing to do the research and know the rich history and culture of the general area. It takes a lot of "digging" to figure it out. Yes, Agrabah is not real but it does represent places that did exist with different names or a mish mash of cultures of the area and time period.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
I completely sympathize with the need for a redesign. What I don't understand is why the costumers went to such lengths. You want to cover up her tummy? Fine, use a flesh-tone panel (a la Ariel's mermaid design) or swap the bikini for a fuller-coverage bustier. But why change the wig? Why go to such lengths to cover every bit of bare skin? Why alter the overall color? As a costumer myself, I just don't understand the need for such radical changes. There were plenty of ways to tweak the design in order to give the cast member fuller coverage, but instead we were given something with little resemblance to the original character.

I love the robed version of Jasmine that I've seen in other parks. I also love the purple outfit she wears in the original movie. Both would have been perfectly acceptable (and certainly more canon) options. Why were these not considered?

View attachment 159325 View attachment 159326
prince_aladdin_and_princess_jasmine_cosplay_bygf_by_gfantasy92-d7m73wr.png

GiveMeTheMusic

Actually there is, but you have to be willing to do the research and know the rich history and culture of the general area. It takes a lot of "digging" to figure it out. Yes, Agrabah is not real but it does represent places that did exist with different names or a mish mash of cultures of the area and time period.

Yes - a fictional mishmash, like Arendelle, that isn't a real place. You can't be culturally correct with something that doesn't exist.

Again, the movie sets the look. I don't want to meet Jasmine and see her how she might have looked if she were real. I want to see Jasmine as she looked in her movie.

Someone at Disney is way overthinking this.

drew81

Yes - a fictional mishmash, like Arendelle, that isn't a real place. You can't be culturally correct with something that doesn't exist.

Again, the movie sets the look. I don't want to meet Jasmine and see her how she might have looked if she were real. I want to see Jasmine as she looked in her movie.

And getting way too much compensation for it.

Fable McCloud

Well said. The kids (and many adults) love the source material, and that's what I want to see in the parks. It looked fine the way it was, and if the cast members are getting harassed, take the appropriate actions. That's thw job of security. Anyway, themovie is over 20 years old, and if people are still offended by her midriff, remeber that most people wear less at the beach.

BrittanyRose428

I was just as outraged with the new Barbies..lol.

I don't think everything needs to be "realistic"...depending the context.

But anyway, I'm tall (in heels ;) ), thin, and not at all curvy. When is there going to be a Disney princess or Barbie that represents me?! Guess what though..I still loved Barbie in all of her non anatomically correct glory..and I didn't need to aspire to look like her. Ditto with the Disney Princesses.
On the Barbie subject, I hate the new ones too. As a kid, I never thought about what her body looked like... kids don't think about things like that until adults bring it up. I think there were good intentions with the new Barbie designs, but it sounds like it would only cause more problems. What if a little kid is playing with the shorter curvier Barbie, and his or her friend has the tall and thin one? If they try to share clothes, and realize the outfits don't fit or like right on the opposite dolls, how is that going to make them feel?

As for Jasmine, I totally agree that she should be represented the way she is in the movie, and if guests are harassing her then they need to find another way to take care of it. Her character has been out in the parks for so long, it seems ridiculous to make such a drastic change now. And even with covering her stomach, they could still have made the costume look more like the character in the film-- she didn't need such a high collar on the dress, or the sleeves at the very least...

Ababwa

Aladdin's updated Prince Ali look reminds me of the new Designer Doll sets they had last year and in person they definitely look more like a sherwani, which is more culturally accurate if that's where they wanted to go.

However, Jasmine's look is more conservative than culturally accurate to South Asian/Middle Eastern clothing (according to a friend of mine who is Pakistani/Bangladeshi). If they wanted a more conservative look, then there are even cosplayers that cover the midriff, yet still keep Jasmine's recognizable look.

0664697350979c15a11d6e6b117db71e.jpg

I know WDW has another costume for Jasmine as well for parades/special events that covers her up a little more.

tumblr_ngdn19ef8o1qzlhz3o1_540.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom