It's official: Wand is GONE !!!!

Lee

Adventurer
If work is starting Monday, look for the East-side walkway around SSE to be
closed...probably on Sunday, and remaining closed for the duration.

KevinPage

Can't they arrange the letters horizontally and use it for the front entrance to the park (where you drive your cars through of course)?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
If work is starting Monday, look for the East-side walkway around SSE to be
closed...probably on Sunday, and remaining closed for the duration.
You know what Lee, you might be right ;)

And here we were speculating 24 hours ago why so many bulbs are burnt out on the wand logo.

I`ll have to ask Steve, but 165 posts in less than 4 hours in one thread must be a record?

mcranmer

I can easily understand both sides of the argument to remove or leave the wand. I personally cannot wait to see it gone, but when I shared the news with my kids (11 and 9 year olds), they were very disappointed. The presence of the wand is all they have ever known of SSE.

Change is hard for some people, even if it is to something as simple as a change to an icon that they are used to seeing. In the long run, though, change is usually for the better, and in this case, it is a change back to the glory days of the attraction. Very exciting!

Honestly, my kids feel the same way about the hat and the tombstones. They feel like they belong where they are and would not feel good about having them removed. Kind of like how I felt about losing the 'wedding ring' at the Haunted Mansion or losing 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea.

Buried20KLeague

You know what Lee, you might be right ;)

And here we were speculating 24 hours ago why so many bulbs are burnt out on the wand logo.

I`ll have to ask Steve, but 165 posts in less than 4 hours in one thread must be a record?

I was just thinking the same thing... Gotta be close to a record. There were a few that probably rivaled it though. The thread on Tigger being sued was a pretty fast-mover.

Say what you will about the wand, but there's no denying it's a hot-button. EVERYONE tosses in their two cents about it every time it's mentioned.

EpcotServo

YES!!!
:D

BEST NEWS EVER!!!
:sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy:

Thank you Disney, you'll never know how much this means to people.

Epcot's 300 stikes again!

The world will know that few stood against many, that 160 Epcot fans stood and fought for their park, and before the day is over, the world will know that even a WAND can be taken down!

:lol:

Dizknee_Phreek

I thought nothing could top the great events that I've witnessed in the past two days here at the parks, but this just did.
What events have you witnessed?

And YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY :sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy:
All I can say is - it's about time!

RiversideBunny

Get rid of this graveyard next.
Thanks.

Leave20a20Legacy.jpg

cupanudles

This is a very VERY IMPORTANT FIRST STEP in order to return EPCOT to it's roots where the future of mankind, substance and quality is more important than merchandise or hipness. I expect more substantive changes to follow such as Spaceship Earth's new ending, the upcoming new innoventions, and Imagination pavilion to follow this example as well. A big thanks to Jim McPhee, continue your good work!!!:wave:

Enigma

Account Suspended
Congrats to all of you who actually thought this was a big deal.

I still maintain that once its down, a good percentage of you will go 'Wow, that didn't change anything.'
Thinking its gaudy and takes away from the architecture is one thing. Thinking it symbolizes something 'against the spirit of EPCOT' is another.

Did you see the topic about the removal of that stupid little kiosk that was blocking the mirror column? When that was removed people were blown away by how different and better the area looked! Now imagine the removal of a huge thing like the wand. The original perspectives are restored to the park.

Enigma

Account Suspended
Ding dong the witch is dead :sohappy:

That's fantastic to see it officially, even though because of the great sources we have at WDWMagic, we knew this was "official" a long time ago.

Actually the person that told everyone the wand was coming down was "Spirit of 74" on Laughingplace.com (Hes also WDW1974 on Micechat). There was alot of skeptism involved when he posted it last month and even bigshots like corrus said he was wrong.

EpcotServo

Honestly, my kids feel the same way about the hat and the tombstones. They feel like they belong where they are and would not feel good about having them removed. Kind of like how I felt about losing the 'wedding ring' at the Haunted Mansion or losing 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea.

We had it first! It's ours.

:lol:

(Just kidding. And I'm sorry, but I like the monuments. I think they look pretty cool, and that's from one who loves the sinmple is better Epcot look. Now what they need to do is bring back the orignal fountain design infront of Spaceship Earth.)

Buried20KLeague

Actually the person that told everyone the wand was coming down was "Spirit of 74" on Laughingplace.com (Hes also WDW1974 on Micechat). There was alot of skeptism involved when he posted it last month and even bigshots like corrus said he was wrong.

And Corrus was awfully strong in his opinions that it wasn't going anywhere.

And if I recall, I think Lee had the same info.

I'm just glad they were wrong on this one.

But that does make me wonder exactly how this thing went down behind closed doors... If maybe it just steamrolled downhill and gained momentum quickly rather than taking the usual, long, beaurocratic path that things usually have to travel... And maybe that's why our "insiders" didn't have the best info on it. :shrug:

Buried20KLeague

Wasn't the first "serious" mention of the wand coming down actually on the Re-Imagineering blog? You remember... It was just a picture of the wand with an explosion at the base. That was at least a few months ago... And there was quite a debate as to what people thought about it and what it meant, and if they knew what they were talking about.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom