It's not Epcot anymore.. (wand demo pics)

mk4me

Well, since it seems that they are slowly removing the bricks from around MK, is there any rule/law stating how long that these types of things must be kept up?

How about kept in view?

Just move them to the back of The Land and let moss grow on them!

What makes you think the bricks around MK are being removed?

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
And that's why the Legacy has become a problem for Disney - it's not just that it looks like a memorial monument, people ended up using it like a memorial monument.

It's not supposed to be that - it's supposed to mark people's trips to Epcot during the millenium. Sharing their smiling faces, images, etc. Like a time capsule.

And why shouldnt they, if WDW was much loved by someone whos snuffed it why the hell not.

Its everybit as valid as the wincey smile of some overindulged drama queen cheerleader.

Crazy4blustitch

Someone else posted this on another forum i belong to: "Epcot doesn't stand for what it used to, Now it's: Extremely Plain Community"

I thought it was cute lol

BuzzComplexCM

And that's why the Legacy has become a problem for Disney - it's not just that it looks like a memorial monument, people ended up using it like a memorial monument.

It's not supposed to be that - it's supposed to mark people's trips to Epcot during the millenium. Sharing their smiling faces, images, etc. Like a time capsule. If you go and toss someone's ashes into a time capsule it becomes a shrine.

I think them stopping sales was the best move they could make. It went way off course and turned into exactly what it wasn't supposed to be.

Great point Merf. Honestly, who wants to go to a Disney park and be reminded of death? I know I don't.

Is it a nice touch that people wanted to remember their loved ones through Disney? Of course it is. Like all of us, Disney has touched many lives. For some people, being in Disney could have been that one great memory that they have a person(s) who is no longer with them.

Overall though it is not appropriate. Disney works very hard to leave the real world behind and that is what keeps bringing the people back year after year. They look forward to coming to a place where they can put their troubles behind them for a few days at a time; seeing death markers kind of ruins that image.

BuzzComplexCM

Sorry to keep going, but I had other thoughts come to me after I hit "send."

I never had a problem with the LaL stones, or to others the "Tombstones." In fact, my family and I had our pictures done and placed on the stones when we went in May 2000. We did it because we liked the idea that our pictures would be up there for 20 years and in a sense we would always be in Epcot even when we were not in Florida. So I never saw it as a tombstone, death related type of symbol.

To see it become a memorial does upset me and others. Mainly because, as Merf said, it was created to commemorate a trip(s) to Disney World and to help people celebrate the coming of the year 2000. As I stated above, let's leave death references out of Disney and allow the "escape from reality" idea remain strong and true.

jt04

I never had a problem with the LaL stones, or to others the "Tombstones." In fact, my family and I had our pictures done and placed on the stones when we went in May 2000. We did it because we liked the idea that our pictures would be up there for 20 years and in a sense we would always be in Epcot even when we were not in Florida. So I never saw it as a tombstone, death related type of symbol.

To see it become a memorial does upset me and others. Mainly because, as Merf said, it was created to commemorate a trip(s) to Disney World and to help people celebrate the coming of the year 2000. As I stated above, let's leave death references out of Disney and allow the "escape from reality" idea remain strong and true.

So true. I second that.

Champion

But it isn't a memorial. For what you are saying, any picture or reference to a person that is dead is a memorial. There are pictures in my high school and my college of my entire class. Some of those people have died, most are still alive. Much like the LaL stones. Does that make it a memorial? No.

jt04

Thats why it is appropriate to keep the plaques located in the area but the slabs are hideous. This can be resolved so that everyone wins. The pictures placed on a wall and the slabs removed so people can enjoy a plaza that is not a maze and an eyesore. IMHO:shrug:

BuzzComplexCM

But it isn't a memorial. For what you are saying, any picture or reference to a person that is dead is a memorial. There are pictures in my high school and my college of my entire class. Some of those people have died, most are still alive. Much like the LaL stones. Does that make it a memorial? No.

The point that I was making was that many people decided to do something for a family member AFTER they had died. If they are in the picture then they were alive when it was taken, unless these people have some serious Dr. Frankenstein issues. When someone comes to the park with the intention of doing this LaL in memory of someone, as was stated a few posts back, it then becomes a memorial. I know you all hate to hear what CM's have to say, but if they are doing the sales and they see a pattern regarding remembering 9-11 victims or others who have died, then it is obviously being used as a memorial.

I know it's intentions to begin with was that it would NOT be a memorial, I stated that. However, it has become a memorial. Regarding your high school and college pictures, those things are not memorials because it was not put up with the intention to be a memorial.

It's a touchy subject, as are most subjects on these forums. People may very well go to Epcot now and see their LaL picture, in that picture is Mom, Dad, Grandma, and a kid. Grandma may no longer be alive now so to THAT specific family it has become a memorial. Whereas with my LaL picture everyone in that picture is still alive. So, to me that is not a memorial.

My whole point was that the guests were turning it into a memorial which is what Disney wanted to stay away from.

Vernonpush

But death is such a valid part of WDW. Without death there could be no "circle of life". Cinderella's Mother would still be alive (and alot of other Princesses' moms), to name a few (think Nemo). I applaud Disney's "handling" of death. From the ashes can newfound growth arise. If there is no (initial) conflict, there is no story.:shrug:

dandaman

As far as Disney not getting involved with death... Haunted Mansion? Tower of Terror? Pretty much every movie where a villian is vanquished in spectacular fashion? I understand what you're saying, but Disney is really no stranger to death. :shrug:

^Exactly my point. Thanks!

BuzzComplexCM

But death is such a valid part of WDW. Without death there could be no "circle of life". Cinderella's Mother would still be alive (and alot of other Princesses' moms), to name a few (think Nemo). I applaud Disney's "handling" of death. From the ashes can newfound growth arise. If there is no (initial) conflict, there is no story.:shrug:

True, but all of these examples are found in the movies, not in the parks. The point is this, do you really want to go on vacation to the "Happiest Place on Earth" and see death? Or be reminded of death?

Vernonpush

Lady Tremaine, and her daughters (stepmother, or was there divorce in their time)? Finding Nemo: the musical (vicious shark attack)? Snow White? It's there, even if you do not believe it.

Epcot82Guy

Whoa... before this spins out of control.

There is a HUGE difference between memorializing someone in YOUR FAMILY/LIFE and a character necessary to tell a story. I think LaL necessarily has the risk of having some memories if people have died since then, but that is not/should not necessarily be the focus. To preserve them literally as gravestones I do feel is off the point of WDW and Epcot. I woudl sooner like to see them celebrate the memories and happenings of the park to bring back good feelings and a "restoration to a time past" of sorts. With that in mind, I would like to see them lightened up. Honestly, with all the complaints of how heavy and "boring" EPCOT was, these seemed like a huge step backward.

Brian_B

...all I wanted were new pics of the Wand's destruction and what do I get? An existentialist discussion of death.

Actually, I've thought about this a lot. Disney definitely introduced me to the concept of mortality:
- The rampant skeletons at PotC, esp the guys playing chess...it even smelled dead in there.
- The haunted mansion
- there's a skeleton in snow white's scary adventures
there are others, but the most explicit example (can't believe noone mentioned this yet), is GMR. When I was a youngster I was really afraid for that bandit/gangster. I used to be petrified of that ride. Ironic, considering I'd spend some truly magical years working there.

I miss you, ride!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom