It's not Epcot anymore.. (wand demo pics)

kcnole

I don't like the post show of Test Track (or the entire concept of Test Track in general), I don't like the shops. My only point is that I disagreed with you when you said Walt didn't agree with having sponsors hawk their products as it was part of his entire premise of the city of EPCOT and something he used quite often to get things done that he couldn't afford to do otherwise.

fyn

I don't like the post show of Test Track (or the entire concept of Test Track in general), I don't like the shops. My only point is that I disagreed with you when you said Walt didn't agree with having sponsors hawk their products as it was part of his entire premise of the city of EPCOT and something he used quite often to get things done that he couldn't afford to do otherwise.

I misspoke. Walt didn't want guests to feel, or perceive that merchandise was being thrown in front of them. The original attractions accomplish this. Test Track does not.

teebin

I actually thought it was rather cool to walk out of an attraction and feel like I was at an autoshow...:cool:

I agree, I find it a really big fun presentation. I have a few times walked in there just to see the presentation and skipped TT. And I am not 'into' cars or anything with an engine at all.

Marketing has changed markedly in the past 40-50 years. What flew then doesn't fly now. A stockholder company has to do what it has to do to make money. Did the disney design team want siemens logo projected on SSE? Probably not. But siemens was ready to play ball as evident in the current renovation and designers had to bend to play ball.

To me, the word 'purist' equals 'rut' or 'unchanging'. WDW must change with the times and if that means more aggressive and in-your-face marketing to obtain sponsors OR tear the building down or let it rot in place, then PLEASE, give me more Disney approved in-your-face marketing.

CThaddeus

Yeah like POTC no merchandise thown in front of you there. :animwink:

Walt had nothing to do with the Disney World Pirates and the gift shop you're dumped into at the end. In fact, he had very little input into the way Disney World is, except where it was and what it might contain as he died before the real construction began.
If he had been involved in that Pirates, I'm guessing it would have topped Disneyland's, not been a Reader's Digest Condensed version.

kcnole

I misspoke. Walt didn't want guests to feel, or perceive that merchandise was being thrown in front of them. The original attractions accomplish this. Test Track does not.

Ok, that I agree with. What shops were there Walt wanted to be very theme specific. He also wouldn't have approved of the rides exiting into shops, at least not when he was alive. I'm not sure I consider the exit to TT as bad as exiting into shops however because I don't feel like I'm having a car hawked at me. There's no car salesman looking to ask me if I'm ready to buy that new car now as soon as I exit the ride. Its just a location used to show off the attractions sponsors new products which is what EPCOT was supposed to be about.

In addition to showing off their new products we also get to learn a little bit about the engine and the new biofuels. So while I wish it was a lot more like the exit to WoM was with the fun displays and futuristic look towards car design, I don't think its highly innapropriate. As I've said though it could be much better. The post show to WoM was a major attraction in and of itself. There's not much that is really fun or exciting in the post show of TT. I wish they had chosen to go that route over the product floor even though the product floor fits in with the TT theme a bit better.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Hey Pumbas, shouldn't you be logging off and seeking higher ground:eek: . At least our sewers work:lol:

Not all the time, ask a Texan. And what about about our older cities infrastructure? i.e. NY's steam pipes ?

I think that was a cheap shot. :(

nyscene911

Except for the fact that every model Ive owned (4) has developed a major problem despite being well maintained.

But hey you go to a theme park so I guess that makes you an expert.

Yet everyone my family has owned(which is a very large amount) has run basically flawlessly for the life of the entire vehicle. The biggest non-accident repair I recall is rebuilding a throttle body--at 140,000miles.

But hey, you go to a theme park and owned all of four GM cars, so I guess you're an expert huh?

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Yet everyone my family has owned(which is a very large amount) has run basically flawlessly for the life of the entire vehicle. The biggest non-accident repair I recall is rebuilding a throttle body--at 140,000miles.

But hey, you go to a theme park and owned all of four GM cars, so I guess you're an expert huh?

As a mechanic I would say so.

nyscene911

As a mechanic I would say so.

You're a mechanic, and yet you first stress that you owned four GM models? Why not comment on what you've worked on then, as it would be a bit more damning than four cars. Also, you shouldn't assume that I know nothing nor am around cars very often.

Anecdotal evidence, my friend. You're experiences may have been poor, but mine have been great. But studies like JD Power suggest that most GM brands are much better in quality than they were, with some brands(Cadillac, Buick for example) being right at the top.

dave2822

From letters of the EPCOT wand being removed to the pros and cons of GM manufactured cars ...

I dubb thee, "Thread Drift of the Year!" :D

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
You're a mechanic, and yet you first stress that you owned four GM models? Why not comment on what you've worked on then, as it would be a bit more damning than four cars. Also, you shouldn't assume that I know nothing nor am around cars very often.

Anecdotal evidence, my friend. You're experiences may have been poor, but mine have been great. But studies like JD Power suggest that most GM brands are much better in quality than they were, with some brands(Cadillac, Buick for example) being right at the top.

No I was a mechanic, so talking about my experiences on late 70s early 80s models would be irrelevant, as is Cadillacs Buicks etc. Not many sold here. However the models I owned in the 90s all had build quality issues, which is why I started buying French :eek: .Perhaps JD Power agrees with my experience

If you check back friend you will see that you were the first to get arsey about a post that was no more than a throw away opinion.

Anyway Im about to go and jump into my German car, no GM involvement.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom