It's not Epcot anymore.. (wand demo pics)

Vernonpush

Show me where Walt ever believed that. Walt used corporate promotions to fund a large amount of products. How was the House of Mansato ever not a corporate sponsorship and sales pitch. There have always been corporate sponsorships all over the disney property especially in Epcot. Heck the whole premise of Epcot was that companies would come showcase their new products.

For just a short list of places where sponsorship has been:

Exxon at UoE
GM at World of Motion
I forget who Horizons sponsor was
AT&T at SSE
GM at Test Track
RCA and Fed-Ex at Space Mountain
Heck, the entire Carousel of Progress at the Worlds Fair was one big ad for GM back then.

Theres lots more as well.
GE

Walt was all about sopnsors in Disneyland (the only park that Walt was alive for). Kodak, Coca-cola, Kikoman, etc. , That was how he was able to get the place built. I think that one of the original sponsors of the ice cream store on MS,USA was Carnation. WEDway Peoplemover had Goodyear tires (I think). Part of that was learning from TV and it's sponsorships, then his involvement from the World's Fair of 1964 drove that idea home. Sponsors had lots of money to "promote" their product, Walt saw that and used it to get his dreams to become reality. Of course it wasn't as blatant as it is today.
On that note what is The Land's sponsor? It's one of the most subtle I've seen in Epcot.

dave2822

Oh, I don't know. I guess I just kind of agreed with Walt in that guests shouldn't have merchandise hawked at them just to leave an attraction.

Having cars with significant technological innovation is fine (GM's standard lineup is not), but if you don't think they're there as a sales tactic, then you're clearly missing their window stickers.

I was kinda hoping you'd post in defense of your statement, or at least concede the point that others have made against it ...

Yes? No? Maybe?

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Yes, believe it or not people do take their children to WDW. I think a Cars attraction added to Test Track pavilion would be popular. Hello?

And here was me thinking the long Qs and quick evaporation of FPS were an indication of the rides popularity.

Hello? We are the Billy Boys?

fyn

I was kinda hoping you'd post in defense of your statement, or at least concede the point that others have made against it ...

Yes? No? Maybe?

"Point that other's have made against it?"

What points? The only statement defending having a showroom at the end of the attraction was the rhetorical question "What's wrong with having cars in a pavilion about them?"

And my point below the one you quoted was that a display of technological innovation in cars and transportation systems would be fine. A showroom is a sales tactic, and I don't think it belongs there. I also pointed out that Walt shared this sentiment in general. I'm not sure how else you want me to defend my point of "Epcot, and the Test Track pavilion, is not a place for a General Motors showroom." If you disagree with that, we have vastly different views on what a guest experience should be.

kcnole

I also pointed out that Walt shared this sentiment in general. I'm not sure how else you want me to defend my point of "Epcot, and the Test Track pavilion, is not a place for a General Motors showroom." If you disagree with that, we have vastly different views on what a guest experience should be.

Except that we've pointed out several areas which proves that Walt didn't hold that sentiment just by pointing out Carousel of Progress for one.

And thanks to those of you who corrected me. I always get GM and GE confused when talking about this.

degunter

Nestle is the current sponsor of The Land and Soarin

On that note what is The Land's sponsor? It's one of the most subtle I've seen in Epcot.

lnest1.JPG

lnest2.JPG

kcnole

I've always found Nestle's sponsorship of the Land to be one of the strangest of all of them. I'm glad they do it that way however, because I prefer to not have the sponsor shove themselves in my face every minute.

fyn

Except that we've pointed out several areas which proves that Walt didn't hold that sentiment just by pointing out Carousel of Progress for one.

And thanks to those of you who corrected me. I always get GM and GE confused when talking about this.

Not really. I fully agree with sponsorships. Disagreeing with the showroom in the Test Track Pavilion is not the same as disagreeing with sponsorships, and all you've shown is that Walt utilized sponsors.

kcnole

Look at the house of monsato, that was nothing but one big showcase of products, as was the entirety of carousel of progress. Yes it had a good story about the future, but it was all one big hype of GE products. They went far beyond sponsorships as Nestle does to exactly what GM does at Test Track.

fyn

Look at the house of monsato, that was nothing but one big showcase of products, as was the entirety of carousel of progress. Yes it had a good story about the future, but it was all one big hype of GE products. They went far beyond sponsorships as Nestle does to exactly what GM does at Test Track.

You really think sponsorships that fit seamlessly into attractions (Like CoP) is the same as making you walk through a showroom?

OneLittleSpark

Show me where Walt ever believed that. Walt used corporate promotions to fund a large amount of products. How was the House of Mansato ever not a corporate sponsorship and sales pitch. There have always been corporate sponsorships all over the disney property especially in Epcot. Heck the whole premise of Epcot was that companies would come showcase their new products.

For just a short list of places where sponsorship has been:

Exxon at UoE
GM at World of Motion
I forget who Horizons sponsor was
AT&T at SSE
GM at Test Track
RCA and Fed-Ex at Space Mountain
Heck, the entire Carousel of Progress at the Worlds Fair was one big ad for GM back then.

Theres lots more as well.

Horizons was sponsored by GE

kcnole

You really think sponsorships that fit seamlessly into attractions (Like CoP) is the same as making you walk through a showroom?

Could it be done better? The entire attraction could be done better. I'm no fan of Test Track. But you're acting like the premise is unheard of. I'd rather have the advertising at the end of the attraction rather than all the way through it. How is it any different than Disney forcing us to walk through generic stores at the end of almost every ride now a days?

fyn

Could it be done better? The entire attraction could be done better. I'm no fan of Test Track. But you're acting like the premise is unheard of. I'd rather have the advertising at the end of the attraction rather than all the way through it. How is it any different than Disney forcing us to walk through generic stores at the end of almost every ride now a days?

It isn't. You're assuming I agree with those too. When Disneyland first opened, that didn't exist.

TestTrack

Oh, I don't know. I guess I just kind of agreed with Walt in that guests shouldn't have merchandise hawked at them just to leave an attraction.

Having cars with significant technological innovation is fine (GM's standard lineup is not), but if you don't think they're there as a sales tactic, then you're clearly missing their window stickers.

I actually thought it was rather cool to walk out of an attraction and feel like I was at an autoshow...:cool:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom