It's not Epcot anymore.. (wand demo pics)

jmvd20

The thing is only 50 tons by internet references. that is not a massive load!

Edit: it seems that number is of contention..as this site lists it as 350 tons

I do not think the problem is in regards to how much the wand weighs, just the location that it is in, and how awkward the structure is. That is not an easy or ideal work site by any means.

Hypothetically - if the wand was in a clear area I would say you would be able to remove it in 2 pieces - take off the cantilevered section and then lower the vertical tower section. Even in this scenario you would still need to remove the letters, sparkly stuff, wiring etc... before lowering the rest of it.

Flight Safety

Yes!

This is the best picture I have ever taken of SSE and you will notice that something is not in the picture! It looks so much better without it.

1157594144_l.jpg

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Original Poster
Reality time!

The crane that is sitting in Epcot is about as big as one can be and still fit into that part of Epcot.

The parts are cut apart - not unscrewed or unbolted - cut with a torch then lowered to the ground. As noted in the pics, there's a walkway up there, with a safety handrail. Don't suppose that's awfully convient for both attaching giant letters and also taking them off? Yes, world, it was designed to be installed and come apart in pieces.

The giant "E" on either side will be the last to go because they provide support via cross braces for swirly blue swoosh.

The letters get torched off, lowered down, plopped onto a truck, and then carted out of Epcot via the access road. There is a big access gate for a cul de sac at the end of the road right behind Energy and literally right at where the wand-potties are located.

That road still has to get underneath the monorail, and the gate is only so wide - thus smallish pieces.

Flight Safety

Horizons? Whats that?

Cool in that sick, sad, heart-wretching sort of way I suppose...

So sad for Horizons to go ... I loved Horizons :cry:

I miss it too. It was my family favorite forever. I remember when It was being demolished, one day it was there, and the next day I was on the Monorail to EPCOT and you could see over the barriers. It was nothing but rubble, completly gone! I almost cried.

I have to admit that Mission: SPACE is cool though. But an update to Horizons would have been good as well.

cmatt

You bet there are, due to the area where this work is going on I would bet OSHA is not far away.

Everything from safety, to money, and time play major roles in deciding how a project like this is taken on.

hence them not ko'ing it and getting it done quicker! (thats what i suspect anyway) workers have too many rights these days :lookaroun :lol:

It its feasable to probable take it in one go - but that said, they dont have much area around the ball to manoeuver the complete wand - and not disrupte park guests.... hence why its being dismantled bit by bit... and other buildings/attractions that the thing needs to negotiate.

Health and safety ruins alot of fun - :lol:

Epcot82Guy

:ROFLOL:

That MUST be my problem!!! I thought all women felt those ears were sexy!

Now we have a topic worth exploration. I tried classic black... nothing. I went all blinged out with Gold... nothing. I even went exotic with Disneyland Gold... nothing. Something is clearly wrong with women in Atlanta. :cool:

wiikraken

Im lucky to have seen Horizons and Pre-Wand SSE like 20 times because my family had Year passes. But I was only about 3 maybe 4 so I slightly remember looking at SSE and calling it the big ball. I thought Horizons was so cool it was my favorite ride. Then in 2000 We moved back to Florida and I remember being so sad I couldnt ride Horizons. It was only the begining stages of deconstruction so only som of the walls on the front were down.
The memories!

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
I love all these brilliant people here telling how they would remove it. This is Disney. They will do this the safest, most cost-effective way possible (meaning as quickly as they can do it safely). Perhaps some of you brilliant people can take it down with your bare hands, since you've clearly already put your Ph.D.s in architecture to use by calculating every point we would need a person to be holding the wand to ensure we can safely carry it across the park and deposit it in World Showcase Lagoon.
lol, i agree that the only way is the slow safe way. as much as it pains me. lol

cant you see being in 180 top as a construction worker and the next thing you know, a 30 foot E comes through the roof. not something you want to work into the plans of the rehab.

Wait is the wand really gone now? Like totally removed? they did the whole thing last night?
are you serious? hopefully not. :lookaroun

Mansion Butler

does it really matter if complete strangers think you are condescending though? I wear mouse ears at WDW but not at home because I don't care what complete strangers think of me, but if I can't get a date at home because golden mouse ears are a turn-off, I'm not happy.

This is why you date someone who fawns over such things. :lol:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
cant you see being in 180 top as a construction worker and the next thing you know, a 30 foot E comes through the roof. not something you want to work into the plans of the rehab.
Don`t even think it. Just imagine....

all those Time Racers threads coming back! :hammer:

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
Don`t even think it. Just imagine....

all those Time Racers threads coming back! :hammer:
oh the horror! the "wandies" would love that revenge.

can you imagine bing in there and the first rays of true natural light coming in since 1981? well, i guess some comes in when the hatch is opened.

ToTBellHop

to my knowledge... no. now, there are some like my wife that will "look past" these things, in which, is just as good by me.
that's why you just don't tell them about that stuff on the first date hahaha

You tell them after the wedding. "Oh, by the way..." ~slips on mouse ears~ "tah dah!"

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom