It's not Epcot anymore.. (wand demo pics)

Looking at the 1st daylight webcam shots this morning of the wand, it appears that all the letters on the park side of the wand may be gone... Still kind of hard to tell thought since its so far away.

kirst_al UK

Can i just ask why are folk happy that the wand has come down....am i missing something !? Sorry if i have but have always wondered. :veryconfu

CrashNet

Cranes can lift thousands of tons in a single lift. Just get the right tool for the job.

Obviously it looks like Disney is going for the 'disassembly in place' to save crane costs.. at the expense of longer 'onsite' work :( Probably cheaper, but not as dramatic :(
Thousands of TONS? You know how big of a crane you'd need to lift that much? You also have to remember that whatever it lifts has to be cantilevered...the crane may be able to lift a lot of weight, but it can't lift more than its own weight.

jt04

I hope they put it on eBay, I want to install it over my house.:D

I hear PETCO has already bid on the letters and Universal has put in a bid for the wand portion. Evidently they need an icon for their new Potterland!:hammer:

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
- apart from the staging area is on the south side. This will start to be one tricky operation; with a mass transit beam on one side and a building worth upwards of $160m on the other.

I bet the insurance company is cringing....

Look closer - not only are some headrests missing, there is a whole chain of Omnimovers missing too.
id like to be the tums supplier for that office. id probably make my quota in july for the year.

i saw that as well. actually, im surprised it wasnt addressed sooner in earlier posts. wouldnt you like to havethose photos of that service elevator with some vehicles coming down. :D

Can i just ask why are folk happy that the wand has come down....am i missing something !? Sorry if i have but have always wondered. :veryconfu
do a thread search keyword "wand" and you should have about a months reading ahead of you.... then you shall know.

cymbaldiva

It being half dismantled in full daylight is sort of like the days of old when people were publicly humiliated by having their head in a stock or being flogged in public. It would have been more respectful to the wand if it could have disappeared overnight, but the job is too big, and the structure is too large to have a wall around it (although the spinning planets in Tomorrow Land, while not as tall, had a tarp wall around it during refurbishment). So there is no choice but to have its day of destruction for all of us to see.

Aww.. now that makes me sad :(

I'm pretty darn happy to see the wand go, but you definately have a valid point, IMHO anyway

jmvd20

I was at Epcot during the Horizons demolition. It was cool as hell.

That's strange, I have always been under the impression that hell was very hot... :shrug:

As far as the base goes...

Somebody set us up the bomb... you will survive make your time... :lookaroun

Figment82

The destruction of Horizons was just heart-wrenching. From the back, it looked like someone took a bite out of the building or just clawed it to death. It was almost a blessing when they were finally done and the ground was clear. :(

On that sad note, I'm heading off to Epcot now (or E or Ep, whatever you want to call it) - I can't believe the amazing progress made just overnight!

prberk

I think all of you are crazy!

Fun... but crazy!

(And, yes, I count myself among the crowd of crazies... watching a demolition by proxy around the world!)

Paul

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom