It's not Epcot anymore.. (wand demo pics)

hauntdmansion79

It being half dismantled in full daylight is sort of like the days of old when people were publicly humiliated by having their head in a stock or being flogged in public. It would have been more respectful to the wand if it could have disappeared overnight, but the job is too big, and the structure is too large to have a wall around it (although the spinning planets in Tomorrow Land, while not as tall, had a tarp wall around it during refurbishment). So there is no choice but to have its day of destruction for all of us to see.

jmvd20

So is the sign still lighting up at night?

Like, are the "Epc" lighting up still? I'm too lazy to go see for myself.

The wand isn't lit up now and from what people have said it did not light up at all last night. I would guess that the wand was lit up for the last time a few nights ago.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Exactly. This is a delicate project, too, because you have a major structure next to it that is not to be damaged. Luckily, the building will be under refurb, too, so there is not the added cost of guests inside. That would make it even tougher.

From what I remember, it went up quickly, so there are likely some "creative" welds and fasteners in there. That takes more time than you would think.

Not if you are just trashing it. Your problem is structural support as you rip it down.. you need it to retain its own rigidity and be able to handle the bulk.

Given it's a free standing structure.. just support the weight.. and cut the steel near the bottom.. and lay it down! The issue is where to put it.. But they have the advantage that they do it during the off hours.. and they have a MASSIVE flat parking lot they could put it on to tear apart :)

brkgnews

Hello everyone!

My name is Lisa and please don't get me wrong, I couldn't love Disney more. My first visit was at the age of 2 and my family and I visit every year. I decided to celebrate my 30th birthday with Mickey and the gang this year, but I couldn't stand the wand! After 2000, I was waiting for it to be taken down. I thought it made SSE look tacky, we all know where we are, we don't need Mickey's arm to remind us. It took the power away from SSE, which I adore especially at night. I can't wait until it is down for my visit so I can take pictures of it once again. If I go in November though, I'll miss out on the new Siemens version of the ride. My mother rolled her eyes at me today and said that I've only been on SSE 20 times. I'll live. Yes, but not the new one!
Welcome to the boards! :wave:

DisneySaint

The wand did not light up tonight. All guest traffic out of the park was being directed out of the West side of SSE. The wall is up just after Gateway Gifts and on the other side just after Guest Relations.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Do you realize how much it weighs? Much, much more than you think.

Cranes can lift thousands of tons in a single lift. Just get the right tool for the job.

Obviously it looks like Disney is going for the 'disassembly in place' to save crane costs.. at the expense of longer 'onsite' work :( Probably cheaper, but not as dramatic :(

Epcot82Guy

Not if you are just trashing it. Your problem is structural support as you rip it down.. you need it to retain its own rigidity and be able to handle the bulk.

Given it's a free standing structure.. just support the weight.. and cut the steel near the bottom.. and lay it down! The issue is where to put it.. But they have the advantage that they do it during the off hours.. and they have a MASSIVE flat parking lot they could put it on to tear apart :)

No. I wasn't talking about the wand. I was talking about what lies around the wand. Like an implosion, you have a cantilevered element here that can't fall or lean anywhere. It really has no option but to come down in pieces. There isn't space to place a large enough crane, let alone to place it elsewhere. I don't know how familiar with that area of the park you are, but there really isn't room for much more than that if you want to keep everything else standing. Furthermore, it is "cantilevered" over SSE itself. Therefore, it is delicate as to not damage THAT structure, even if the wand is getting scrapped.

jmvd20

Cranes can lift thousands of tons in a single lift. Just get the right tool for the job.

Obviously it looks like Disney is going for the 'disassembly in place' to save crane costs.. at the expense of longer 'onsite' work :( Probably cheaper, but not as dramatic :(

Whoa there... The wand in the position that it is in will not come down in one piece simply by cutting it at the bottom and lowering it to the ground.

The safest, easiest, and most cost effective method of removal is exactly what they are doing, piece by piece.

Tom Morrow

The wand did not light up tonight.
Aww man... I know most of you hate it, and I DO like SSE without it more, but I will miss the wand. It looked kinda tacky in the daytime, but the color scheme on SSE combined with the wand's lights looked pretty awesome, IMO. I'm now kind of sad knowing I'll never see it lit up again :(

jmicro59

Minor stuff.. some equipment visible up on the wand...

NCAWY-943141097-100_3018.JPG

Liquid oxygen and acetylene, the tools of our saviors. :sohappy:

Figment82

I hope someone goes and get pics :)

I've got a summer class tomorrow and i can't skip out.

Once again, I'll be there and will take pics, but I won't be able to post them until 11pm or later. Although I'm sure there's about 10 people on here who will be able to get pics up before then. :)

Dizknee_Phreek

Aww man... I know most of you hate it, and I DO like SSE without it more, but I will miss the wand. It looked kinda tacky in the daytime, but the color scheme on SSE combined with the wand's lights looked pretty awesome, IMO. I'm now kind of sad knowing I'll never see it lit up again :(

There's a teeny tiny part of me that's just a little bit sad to see it go, too...I guess it's just something I love to hate. But there's no doubt about it...I will be MUCH happier to see it gone.

TestTrack

That idea might work in a fairy tale land of a disney movie. But in the real world if you were to take it apart as one piece there are other concerns.

#1. Every weld on the structure must be able to support the weight of the structure underneath it. Without the earth pushing back on the wand...that's a lot of weight pulling down.

#2. You have to lift from the fulcrum of the structure. If you lifted from even a little bit to one side, the structure will tilt once removed and possible....BAM....into SSE.

#3. Imagine you get steps 1 and 2 covered just fine and you get the wand lifted into the air. Then a gust of wind comes through. That outer covering is going to act like a kite and who knows where that wand will sway to. Again, possibly into SSE.

The way Disney is doing it is the correct way and also the safest.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom