It happened to me! Ouch!

Status
Not open for further replies.
WoW ... I just spent 10 mins. reading all of the posts and I gotta tell you, I think some ppl out there need to take some reading classes ... some posters out there are stating that the OP is looking for some sort of compensation ... ok, I re-read the original post 3 times and I still can't find any reference to wanting something from Disney other than a response to getting the door fixed ... next point, some posters are stating that the OP is looking to blame Disney for the door hitting his daughter in the face ... again, re-read the o.p and couldn't find anything saying the door hitting her was Disney's fault ... what he is saying, and he is 100% correct, is that the way they responded to fixing the problem was poor ... as the father of two girls, I know I would love to have a "shield" around them to keep them safe, but things do happen and you deal with them ... and finally, for those of you quick to jump on the OP about compensation while stating that Disney can't be repsonible for watching all doors all the time, how many of you would run to guest services and demand to be compensated if you were waiting for say , SpaceShip Earth, and the ride went down because of a mechanical problem? ... hardcard, I hope your daughter is doing better and can put this whole thing behind her ... for those of you jumping on this poor guys back - step back, take a breath, and hope something like this doesn't happen to you while visiting the happiest place on Earth

mitchk

I just read 6 pages of peoples thoughts, and I must say, the whole situation is a shame, but the most important thing is that your daughter is alright. Also keep in mind a lot of people just like to argue. If your going to send a complaint to Disney, do it, and don't keep trying to convince everyone your right. Your just wasting your time. Take care :wave:

jmvd20

If you can point me to the "law" that indicates Disney, or anyone for that matter, has to have this device working 24 hours a day I would appreciate it.

Any device that is installed must be kept in a safe working condition - that applies to just about anything, especially safety devices. I wouldn't call it a "law" more along the lines of a building code or regulation. Unless Florida has specific laws to the contrary there would be no criminal action or even fines against anyone for a malfunctioning device, though they would be required to fix it immediately if an inspector saw it.

As I stated earlier, so long as there is another point of egress of course they would be allowed to block off the damaged door until the repairs are made. If there is not at least (2) other points of egress then they would most likely have to vacate the building until repairs are made (though that is very unlikely). Of course it gets much more complicated than this as SF of entrances and exits needs to be considered, distance to egress point # 2 and #3 blah blah blah...

Shere_Khan

:hammer:Good, grief, is there a full moon or something? There are some crazy responses in this thread. Bottom line....the safety feature on the door was BROKEN. That is 100% Disney's fault. Not all doors need this type of safety feature....how was the op supposed to know that this door was heavy enough that it was going to slam into his daughters face with that type of force? With the huge number of kids at WDW, there should not be a door that can cause this type of accident....this is why they are required to have the safety feature in the first place.
None of you were even there! How in the world can you place any blame on this parent? This has got to be one of the most ridiclulous threads ever.

Ahh the voice of reason. I was trying to say it and it would just not come out as smoothly as this. Anyways, I feel exactly the same way! :kiss:

elgentry

:hammer:Good, grief, is there a full moon or something? There are some crazy responses in this thread. Bottom line....the safety feature on the door was BROKEN. That is 100% Disney's fault. Not all doors need this type of safety feature....how was the op supposed to know that this door was heavy enough that it was going to slam into his daughters face with that type of force? With the huge number of kids at WDW, there should not be a door that can cause this type of accident....this is why they are required to have the safety feature in the first place.
None of you were even there! How in the world can you place any blame on this parent? This has got to be one of the most ridiclulous threads ever.

Well said. Accidents are just that and when equipment breaks accidents happen and when reported, the equipment should be fixed.

Timmay

Any device that is installed must be kept in a safe working condition - that applies to just about anything, especially safety devices. I wouldn't call it a "law" more along the lines of a building code or regulation. Unless Florida has specific laws to the contrary there would be no criminal action or even fines against anyone for a malfunctioning device, though they would be required to fix it immediately if an inspector saw it.

But according to the OP, Disney "broke the law". Of course, we know that is silly.

Should there have been some type of warning on the door after the OP reported it to Disney? No doubt, but we have no way of knowing what extenuating circumstances there were after the accident.

LivingtheDream said:
again, re-read the o.p and couldn't find anything saying the door hitting her was Disney's fault

Start from the beginning, and read it all again. You may be surprised at what you see.

Shere_Khan

Should there have been some type of warning on the door after the OP reported it to Disney? No doubt, but we have no way of knowing what extenuating circumstances there were after the accident.

I believe he said he went back the next day or at some point after the accident and it was still not fixed and there was no warning or caution as to the problem.

I would have to look back and find it, but am almost positive he returned to the site and found it still not taken care of.

CAPTAIN HOOK

Captain are you three and cant read carefully.

Yes I'm here - and I can read AND write carefully.

"He isnt suing or anything on those points. He wanted the door fixed and make sure if anything does happen to kid girl would be taken care of by Disney. If you cut yourself at work using a knife, due (do) you fill out an injury form just incase something may happen after the fact? Yes you do. With the door, its Disney's or any company or individual to fix a known hazard and if the stated hazard can't be fixed right away a warning or area marked off should take place. For example if you're mopping the floor, you know its going to be slippery so you put out a caution sign until it dries".

Oh I give up - I'm not carrying on there's far too many grammatical errors in your response.

Next time, before you start to TRY and correct others - get your own house in order first

Timmay

I believe he said he went back the next day or at some point after the accident and it was still not fixed and there was no warning or caution as to the problem.

Yeah, still not working the next day. Although I wouldn't be upset to the point they are about the door not working the next morning, I would be concerned there was no warning on the door. If the story is accurate, there really isn't a reason why there couldn't be a warning posted. Having the door fixed should be of no concern.

disneydudette

I don't see why "blaming" anyone is important here? To me it just sounds like a case of bad timing.

Should that door have been broken? Absolutely not, but maybe Disney didn't know about it to begin with. How do you fault someone for something they weren't even aware of?

Now, yes you made sure that somebody knew that door was broken and I for one thankyou for that, cause while it may be too late for your daughter, maybe another guest won't have the same accident. Does it outrage me that Disney didn't fix it right then and there though? No, not at all.

Perhaps they weren't able to fix the door correctly or that your daughter's injury wasn't urgent enough to warrant an immediate repair. You are more then welcome to take offense to that. The situation you described definately sounds like a fluke rather then an emergency in which Disney needs to drop all other resort projects to attend to a door.

I agree, a simple sign or notice to other guests would have been nice. Yet, how many people have you seen walk right into or use something that says "out of order"? In a place like a food court/main building... closing a doorway can lead to traffic jams that can lead to just as many accidents.

Several doors around disney slam with a great amount of force in general. I think even the resort doors (especially the heavier doors at the values and moderates) slam pretty hard and fast before slowly shutting within inches of closing, if that. If your not paying attention or people around you aren't paying attention, accidents can happen. A wrong step with your head turned can lead to a nice shiner.

I don't think anyone is truly at fault here... your not a bad parent, the person in front of you isn't a jerk, and if Disney can't fix a broken door they don't know about. No matter what happens AFTER the accident, it doesn't change the fact that it did happen. I'm sure hundreds of guests walked through that door prior to the accident without even considering that a) it was broken or b) to report it to the front desk/manager.

I'm sorry to hear that your vacation ended with this 3hr ordeal. As another posted said though, live and learn... even in Disney... things can be broken and people "too busy" to do anything about it. Be sure to followup with your accident report for no other reason then the satisfaction of knowing your helping prevent accidents like this from reoccuring.

Life is too short to play the "what-if" game...

Shere_Khan

Yeah, still not working the next day. Although I wouldn't be upset to the point they are about the door not workign the next morning, I would be concerned there was no warning on the door. If the story is accurate, there really isn't a reason why there couldn't be a warning posted. Having the door fixed should be of no concern.

I agree, if they couldn't get it fixed, I think all they needed to do was post a warning. Like I said before, you would think they would be concerned of a law suit or a more serious injury after something like this happened so they should have at least put up a warning sign. I am not an expert or anything when it comes to safety codes, but it seems simple enough to tape something on the door to warn others to be a bit more careful with small kids using the door.

dandaman

...In other news, the door has been put into the Witness Protection Program for its own safety...

DISNEY EXPERT

The Door

OK have to play devils advocate here. What if the problem is not with the door? What if the door is working as its supposed too? Could it be this child and there parent were not expecting the door to close so hard and fast? Doesnt mean the door is at fault its just the person isnt used to it. Does Disney need to drop everything and fix the door because 1 parent is upset it closes so fast? How many people open and close that door? What if thats the only complaint they got. Lets face it in this world there are people who will complain its sunny out. So Disney has to weigh all it gets and decide what to do. im sure (knowing disney) the complaint was taken seriously and if its the only one and it happens again they will put up a sign or fix the door. If they took every 1 complaint about something and put signs up the place would be littered with signs, to which most people will ignore anyway.I can understand your frustration as a parent myself but i wouldnt blame disney for this at all. I would say to my child unfortunatly some doors close like that you have to be careful. To me it sounds like the parent needs to blame someone where no blame really exists. Let it go is all i can say and just be glad yo had a great vacation and that your daughter is fine. Too much blame going around this world as it is. CAN WE ALL JUST GET ALONG???

hardcard

Original Poster
OK have to play devils advocate here. What if the problem is not with the door? What if the door is working as its supposed too? Could it be this child and there parent were not expecting the door to close so hard and fast? Doesnt mean the door is at fault its just the person isnt used to it. Does Disney need to drop everything and fix the door because 1 parent is upset it closes so fast? How many people open and close that door? What if thats the only complaint they got. Lets face it in this world there are people who will complain its sunny out. So Disney has to weigh all it gets and decide what to do. im sure (knowing disney) the complaint was taken seriously and if its the only one and it happens again they will put up a sign or fix the door. If they took every 1 complaint about something and put signs up the place would be littered with signs, to which most people will ignore anyway.I can understand your frustration as a parent myself but i wouldnt blame disney for this at all. I would say to my child unfortunatly some doors close like that you have to be careful. To me it sounds like the parent needs to blame someone where no blame really exists. Let it go is all i can say and just be glad yo had a great vacation and that your daughter is fine. Too much blame going around this world as it is. CAN WE ALL JUST GET ALONG???

to end the debate, the close mechanism was hanging off the door and broken.. it wasn't a judgement call on the speed.. it was just broken.. not effective at ALL

hrcollectibles

When I was younger and they still had Captain Eo I hurt myself in the theater. There was a part where I got scared (i think because of a Witch or Michael I can't Remember) But I cut my Elbow on a broken arm rest.. It hurt. My mom took me to first aid and the put a band aid on it and I was on my way. I never checked to see if they fixed it (i am sure they did) Hind sight we should have sued the mouse.. just kidding. But accidents do happen.. Is your daughter going to be okay? If so then great.. The worst thing that could happen is she is traumatized by doors... I mean heck whom among us can say with all honesty we have never walked into a door.. I have twice.. in the same night.... it hurt but I moved on

Disney1nut

. it is MY responsiblity to watch my child, and

I was standing less than a foot from her as we all exited the doors..

YOUR ARMS ARE LONGER THAN 1 FT. CATCH THE DOOR :hammer:

hardcard

Original Poster
. it is MY responsiblity to watch my child, and

I was standing less than a foot from her as we all exited the doors..

YOUR ARMS ARE LONGER THAN 1 FT. CATCH THE DOOR :hammer:

easy to say in hindsight. again, you miss the point.. the point was they did nothing to fix it afterwards..

and, it's hard for me to catch doors:

Martywebsite.jpg

ok, so thats not me... :)

tigger248

Can we look at this from a work order standpoint? Yes, they should have fixed it within a reasonable time limit, but the OP left the next morning! Maybe it was fixed by early afternoon, which is still within 24 hours and reasonable imo. The resort can put in a request to fix the door, but after that, it's up to the maintenance division. If a major ride goes down, then obviously that's going to be more of a priority because that's a bigger inconvenience to more guests. If the door hinge on a monorail breaks while it's in the station and the door can not be closed, then that's more of a priority because I'd imagine it would shut that whole track down until the door can close and the train can move. All I'm trying to say is that just because it wasn't fixed by the next morning, doesn't necessarily mean that Disney is negligent in fixing the door. Now, if a week and half later it's not fixed, then there may be an issue...

You know, just my personal opinion (and what do I know? I don't have any kids of my own, just nephews and friends with kids...), but I can't imagine not holding the door for your child. I never assume that the door will catch itself or that the guy in front of me will hold it for me. If the guy didn't hold the door, and I did nothing to catch it, the first thing I'd blame is myself, not the door. But again, that's just me and everyone does things differently.

hardcard

Original Poster
Can we look at this from a work order standpoint? Yes, they should have fixed it within a reasonable time limit, but the OP left the next morning! Maybe it was fixed by early afternoon, which is still within 24 hours and reasonable imo. The resort can put in a request to fix the door, but after that, it's up to the maintenance division. If a major ride goes down, then obviously that's going to be more of a priority because that's a bigger inconvenience to more guests. If the door hinge on a monorail breaks while it's in the station and the door can not be closed, then that's more of a priority because I'd imagine it would shut that whole track down until the door can close and the train can move. All I'm trying to say is that just because it wasn't fixed by the next morning, doesn't necessarily mean that Disney is negligent in fixing the door. Now, if a week and half later it's not fixed, then there may be an issue...

You know, just my personal opinion (and what do I know? I don't have any kids of my own, just nephews and friends with kids...), but I can't imagine not holding the door for your child. I never assume that the door will catch itself or that the guy in front of me will hold it for me. If the guy didn't hold the door, and I did nothing to catch it, the first thing I'd blame is myself, not the door. But again, that's just me and everyone does things differently.

I can type "Door Broken, Please Use Other Door" and print it, walk 200 feet and stick in to the door in less than 5 minutes.. don't give me the work order thing... they didn't need to have it fixed.. but a sign would have been nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom