It happened to me! Ouch!

Status
Not open for further replies.

haveyoumetmark

Hey! Thanks! We try! There are beverages and snacks in the back of the room, and a whole slew of lawnchairs!

:)

Meanwhile,I'm calling to file the complaint in a little while, and let you guys know what they say... again. I am NOT looking for compensation, I want the problem fixed.

:lol:

Seriously though, I don't really think it was that big of a deal, albeit it was unpleasant. Disney is technically at fault here and I do see where you're coming from. I don't think people get that it is their responsibility and obligation to upkeep mandatory safety mechanisms on doors.

Jerm

Because the guy in front of me assumed like I did.. That Disney had a properly installed and fully functional slow-close device on the door, and I didn't feel the need to DIVE to catch the door...

I am not going to defend it to you, DISNEY WAS AT FAULT, THE DOOR WAS BROKEN.

Wow if you are not trying to get any compensation, you sure are fighting it and pushing for it. I mean you even took video of the door. Really you are past the point of "well they should have taken care of it" to the point of "I want a life time pass for me and my family because your door is too big and heavy and according to what I know it should not work like this....I don't care what you or your crew might say, I know how all doors should work and this one didn't work like it!!! And it is your fault not mine!!!!"

I am hoping it's more about mis-interpreting what I said... I really hope that we as a public haven't become so nieve to think that Disney can do no wrong.

No but it does sound like you expect everything in Disney to be child proof and bubble wrapped. Have you really took a step back and looked at everything you have written and the things you have said? I does really sound like because a door closed at Disney, again that you thought closed to fast, and hit your child (which really should be your main concern) you are going to make a statement that will try and change the world....Disney World!

I am not saying that what happened to your daughter was not sad and can mess up your day, but really in this case the only people you can blame is yourself for not keeping an eye on "something in the perfect Disney World" and the guy in front of you. But really the guy in front of you is not supposed to watch a door behind him anyway, yes as a guy we should always hold the door for a lady or child but he didn't and neither did you?

It can and it does - but by the same tune - stop blaming everyone else for something which you could have prevented.
Well said Captain, I just wanted to get this in before this gets locked.

Also why is this in the News and Rumors section??? How about General Discussion or chit chat area?

J

hauntdmansion79

Darn global warming....getting everyone all heated.

Entertaining though, watching everyone battle over a door.

Seriously though, the main thing is that this is really between the OP and Disney and doesn't really need to be brought to our attention because this kind of stuff (like it or not) does happen all the time. I don't feel like I need to be convinced that Disney is slipping because I like to think they work pretty hard to maintain a good track record.

jmvd20

Opinions are good, facts are better...

Just looked through NJUC which was at hand and here is what we have.

Applicable local fire codes: (Should be the same throughout most of teh country as they are set by NFPA and ADA compliance laws)

... Doors and doorways: closers and opening forces

(a) Door closers, if provided, shall have sweep periods adjusted so that it
will take a door a minimum of five seconds to move from a position of 70
degrees opened to a position where the leading edge of the door is three
inches from the jamb.

(b) Maximum pushing or pulling opening forces for doors shall be eight
pounds.

Since a door closer was provided it must take 5 seconds to partially close (nowhere near what the OP described)

8 lbs. of force is very low and is there as part of the ADA compliance issues. The 5 second code is to prevent the door from closing too fast in order to avoind injuries.

The 8lb limit is also there to avoid injuries resulting from doors closing too hard or requiring too much force to open.

As described the door closer was clearly malfunctioning and operating outside of the set safety limits. Based upon this it is not the OP's opinion that it was not working, it is a fact it was not working properly.

eroyee

I didnt really want to bring this up but guess I will.............here goes........I think Tigger did it..........

benzgraveyard

While it is unfortunate about what happened to your child. It is your responsiblity to watch your daughter and make sure she doesn't get too far ahead of you. I dont care if people bash me for this post. I am tired of parents blaming other people for their mistakes. Be a GOOD parent and you wont have these problems.

Just another family trying to sue Disney...Get over yourselves

cymbaldiva

While it is unfortunate about what happened to your child. It is your responsiblity to watch your daughter and make sure she doesn't get too far ahead of you. I dont care if people bash me for this post. I am tired of parents blaming other people for their mistakes. Be a GOOD parent and you wont have these problems.

If you read the thread you should have noticed that the OP made no mention of suing Disney.

Perhaps you should consider getting over yourself?

RussJT

Tough crowd. Take a deep breath everyone. Since the OP has explained it several times and it still is unclear, I will try to explain it again for him.

A. His child was right next to him. he stated at least once his child was close enough to hold his hand. He did not let his child run ahead.

B. I think he has stated several times that he has no plans to sue. He was simply stating that he was disappointed that the door was not fixed and/or not marked as broken after the incident was reported.

Yes, it sounds like the door was broken. It should have been fixed. If they were unable to fix it, they should have labeled it as being broken so this didn't happen to anyone else.

I love Disney. If this happened exactly the way the OP stated the Disney should have handled things better. (I am not planning to sue them.)

Laura

I have a 4 year old and 6 year old. If a door hit them in the face at Disney because I wasn't holding the door for them, then that's my fault. The last thing I would think is "Disney is responsible!", even if the door was broken. You can't just let the door hit your kid in the face because you ASSUME it's going to close gently and then point fingers afterwards.

It's one thing to have to put complete trust in Disney for your safety when you're on, say, Rock N Rollercoaster. When you're doing high-speed loops while strapped into a seat you have no control over your own well being. But going through a door? Do you need to put all of your trust into the Disney Company in order to know that you can safely make it through a door? No, I think walking through a door requires nothing more than common sense, and if you are injured in the process then something went wrong on your end.

Legally, Disney would probably be responsible for the injury, especially with all your "video tape evidence" of the broken mechanism and such. But ultimately, as the parent, you should have grabbed the door and to think out the situation any further than that is a bit dramatic and nit-picky I think.

With that said, I'm sorry she was hurt. That's a bummer on a vacation. My daughter is a huge klutz and gets hurt every single day of every vacation because she trips and falls and walks into things. I'm surprised she didn't come home from our trip last week with 2 black eyes from the amount of times she walked into Disney stroller handles. :shrug:

Shere_Khan

To those of you that say I could have prevented it.. It happened in about 1 to 1.5 SECONDS.. Unless you are superman, the flash, or a really suped-up delorian, it could NOT have been prevented UNLESS Disney had a properly maintained and functional door closer mech on the door..

Yes, things like that can happen so quickly that even us as adults may not react in time. Yes, you probably should have went for the door after the man was going through to be sure. I am sure you know that now and wished you had, but you didn't and it was an accident, therefore Disney needs to fix the door. I did not gather from your post that you were out to get anyone, and all you said was you were disappointed in how they handled it. I would have been too. I am sure it takes time for them to get someone in there to fix the problem, but it should have been fixed by the next day or had some kind of caution tape for the time being so it would not happen to anyone else. Your daughter was hurt, and when things like that happen they are very disappointing. I'm glad she is doing ok now. Thank goodness for that.

ClasikRok

Tough crowd. Take a deep breath everyone. Since the OP has explained it several times and it still is unclear, I will try to explain it again for him.

A. His child was right next to him. he stated at least once his child was close enough to hold his hand. He did not let his child run ahead.

B. I think he has stated several times that he has no plans to sue. He was simply stating that he was disappointed that the door was not fixed and/or not marked as broken after the incident was reported.

Yes, it sounds like the door was broken. It should have been fixed. If they were unable to fix it, they should have labeled it as being broken so this didn't happen to anyone else.

I love Disney. If this happened exactly the way the OP stated the Disney should have handled things better. (I am not planning to sue them.)

Well stated Russ! A lot of people are just reading here and there and taking things out of context, or simply missing the point.

All the OP is saying is that the door should have been fixed in a timely manner. And regardless of the fact of how busy the maintenance people are, this could have been resolved with a simple "Out of Order" sign on the door, or Caution tape allowing other guests entering or exiting the building to not use that particular door and avoid future accidents until the door can be properly repaired.

Regardless of whether he was careless in watching his child (which, in my opinion, he clearly was not), something should still have been done to fix the door, or at least mark it as faulty to avoid future incident.

I do also agree however that this topic should not be in the News and Rumors section.:animwink:

Laura

Exactly, things like that happen so quickly that even us as adults may not react in time. I did not gather from your post that you were out to get anyone, and all you said was you were disappointed in how they handled it. I would have been too. I am sure it takes time for them to get someone in there to fix the problem, but it should have been fixed by the next day or had some kind of caution tape for the time being so it would not happen to anyone else. Your daughter was hurt, and when things like that happen they are very disappointing. I'm glad she is doing ok now. Thank goodness for that.

Things happen quickly, but it's a parent's responsibility to make sure they are walking ahead of the child when approaching a doorway to avoid injury. I don't ever let my kids go through a door before me (if I can help it) because I don't want their fingers getting slammed in it, nor do I want them getting hit in the face by someone pushing on the door from the other side. If my kids get to the door before I do and get hurt in the process, it's my own fault.

If the OP was crossing the street with his child and the pedestrian crossing light was malfunctioning, would he let the child walk out into oncoming traffic because he put all his faith in an electronic light, or would he look both ways first even if the light said it was safe to go?

tigsmom

I have a 4 year old and 6 year old. If a door hit them in the face at Disney because I wasn't holding the door for them, then that's my fault. The last thing I would think is "Disney is responsible!", even if the door was broken. You can't just let the door hit your kid in the face because you ASSUME it's going to close gently and then point fingers afterwards.

It's one thing to have to put complete trust in Disney for your safety when you're on, say, Rock N Rollercoaster. When you're doing high-speed loops while strapped into a seat you have no control over your own well being. But going through a door? Do you need to put all of your trust into the Disney Company in order to know that you can safely make it through a door? No, I think walking through a door requires nothing more than common sense, and if you are injured in the process then something went wrong on your end.

Legally, Disney would probably be responsible for the injury, especially with all your "video tape evidence" of the broken mechanism and such. But ultimately, as the parent, you should have grabbed the door and to think out the situation any further than that is a bit dramatic and nit-picky I think.

With that said, I'm sorry she was hurt. That's a bummer on a vacation. My daughter is a huge klutz and gets hurt every single day of every vacation because she trips and falls and walks into things. I'm surprised she didn't come home from our trip last week with 2 black eyes from the amount of times she walked into Disney stroller handles. :shrug:

My kids are 19 and 13 and I still throw my hand out to keep them from getting hit with a door. most parents do, especially with little kids.

Raptorsr

Captain and anyone else that is getting on this guys case better get a life and know the facts before they jump to conclusions and feel they warrant blaming this father. Captain are you three and cant read carefully. He isnt suing or anything on those points. He wanted the door fixed and make sure if anything does happen to kid girl would be taken care of by disney. If you cut yourself at work using a knife, due you fill out a injury form just incase something may happen after the fact? Yes you do. With the door, its disney's or any comany or individual to fix a known hazard and if the stated hazard cant be fixed right away a warning or are marked off should take place. For example if your mopping the floor, you know its going to be slippery so you put out a caution sign until it drys. This is all safety matters and not something to just shrug off. Now I would be ticked off if the father took disney to court for millions because of pain and suffering but that isnt the case. The final thing about fixing the door. Disney has matenance departments at every venue and resort. They should be able to fix or mark off the area if there is a problem with safety in no time. It would be an urgent message and it would take over priority of fixing a burnt light bulb.
All I have to say is there are some ignorant people on this board that dont read things fully and worship the god disney instead of looking at the facts and maybe laying a little blame on the problem.

Eyorefan

Yes, things like that can happen so quickly that even us as adults may not react in time. Yes, you probably should have went for the door after the man was going through to be sure. I am sure you know that now and wished you had, but you didn't and it was an accident, therefore Disney needs to fix the door. I did not gather from your post that you were out to get anyone, and all you said was you were disappointed in how they handled it. I would have been too. I am sure it takes time for them to get someone in there to fix the problem, but it should have been fixed by the next day or had some kind of caution tape for the time being so it would not happen to anyone else. Your daughter was hurt, and when things like that happen they are very disappointing. I'm glad she is doing ok now. Thank goodness for that.

I tottally agree with you. I think some people on this board are being ridiculous by calling the OPs parenting skills into question here. I'm sorry we don't all walk on water.

hardcard

Original Poster

it's also your responsibility to read the thread and get your facts straight before posting :)

ClasikRok

Things happen quickly, but it's a parent's responsibility to make sure they are walking ahead of the child when approaching a doorway to avoid injury. I don't ever let my kids go through a door before me (if I can help it) because I don't want their fingers getting slammed in it, nor do I want them getting hit in the face by someone pushing on the door from the other side. If my kids get to the door before I do and get hurt in the process, it's my own fault.

If the OP was crossing the street with his child and the pedestrian crossing light was malfunctioning, would he let the child walk out into oncoming traffic because he put all his faith in an electronic light, or would he look both ways first even if the light said it was safe to go?

I think some people are missing the point.

Regardless of whether or not the OP was at fault in this situation, the door was clearly malfunctioning and it should have been either repaired or marked as being faulty.

Could the OP have done something to avoid the incident, sure. But hindsight is always 20/20. Whether he didn't react quickly enough or used "improper judgement" when it comes to watching his child, the door which was clearly faulty needed to be repaired. Perhaps both were at fault in this case, but it is too late for the OP to do anything further except keep a closer watch on his daughter in the future. Disney still had a chance to repair the door and avoid a future incident, which clearly they dropped the ball on.

With the door, its disney's or any comany or individual to fix a known hazard and if the stated hazard cant be fixed right away a warning or are marked off should take place. For example if your mopping the floor, you know its going to be slippery so you put out a caution sign until it drys. This is all safety matters and not something to just shrug off. Now I would be ticked off if the father took disney to court for millions because of pain and suffering but that isnt the case. The final thing about fixing the door. Disney has matenance departments at every venue and resort. They should be able to fix or mark off the area if there is a problem with safety in no time. It would be an urgent message and it would take over priority of fixing a burnt light bulb.

Exactly! I was at a movie theater yesterday and after walking in from the mix of snow and rain, I slipped and nearly fell on the wet floor. Without paying any mind to it, one of the theater employees asked me if I was ok and if the floor was slippery. I told them yes, and told them where I found it to be slippery, and they had someone put up a caution sign while they got additional mats for future customers to wipe there feet. That's what needed to be done in this situation. Mark the area as being faulty/dangerous and then work to fix the situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom