It happened to me! Ouch!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael72688

While I'm sorry about your daughter, its very difficult to watch every single facet of that resort 24/7, personally I think they do a great job and that was an isolated incident, like I said, I'm sorry about your daughter but Disney didn't do anything wrong here.

nolatron

I really think you should just be thankful your daughter is ok, remember how fun the rest of the trip was, and move on with life. After all, it's just a door.

CBOMB

Opinions are good, facts are better...

Just looked through NJUC which was at hand and here is what we have.

Applicable local fire codes: (Should be the same throughout most of teh country as they are set by NFPA and ADA compliance laws)

Since a door closer was provided it must take 5 seconds to partially close (nowhere near what the OP described)

8 lbs. of force is very low and is there as part of the ADA compliance issues. The 5 second code is to prevent the door from closing too fast in order to avoind injuries.

The 8lb limit is also there to avoid injuries resulting from doors closing too hard or requiring too much force to open.

As described the door closer was clearly malfunctioning and operating outside of the set safety limits. Based upon this it is not the OP's opinion that it was not working, it is a fact it was not working properly.

Once again not only the voice of knowledge, but reason as well. The only thing I can imagine is nobody read your post when they continue to blame the OP. That saids it all. To not address an issue that has been brought to their attention, and has already injured a guest is negligence on WDW's part. That should have been done immediately, no excuses.
I tottally agree with you. I think some people on this board are being ridiculous by calling the OPs parenting skills into question here. I'm sorry we don't all walk on water.
I agree with you completly. Isn't it funny how some people here point out how they are such good parents, and the OP is such a poor one. He sounds like both a concerned parent that is also very concerned about other childrens welfare. I had a similar incident happen to me while at work one time. That door swung back, and smacked me in the face so fast I didn't have time to respond. The door was immediately proped open maintainance was called, and it was repaired within a short amount of time. It's Walt Disney World do you expect the OP to tape his daughters to his body in hope of protecting them further than he was already trying to do. Sometimes I just think some of you folks are to blinded by Pixie Dust to think Disney could possibly ever be at fault. Accidents do happen. Not taking action to prevent further accidents from happening is pure negligence on WDW's part. I don't know how many times the OP had to say he was not interested in suing Disney. He even said his daughter was back to normal with the exception of some bruising. Some of you folks were just downright callous in even suggesting that. I would think you should at least have the decency to apologize for such a harsh, and rash statement.

I am happy your daughter is OK hard card. I'm just sorry you were subjected to such rude treatment for a post that showed your concern for both your family, and others.

gbrooks135

I'm sorry that Disney's door maintainance program isn't up to your standards. Do you realize the number of doors they have on property? It has to be some ridiculously staggering number.

As far as it not being fixed right away, well, they need to get someone out to it, and thats not going to happen in an hour. Its not like there is a room of people sitting around to fix stuff immediately if it breaks.

I used to do Hotel Maintainance and when we got a call saying some one got hurt because of something was broke or not working right we stop what we were working on and went to the location to see what was broke or not working right, and to close that area off untill all of the Pictures were taken and reports were filled out for Insurance, then we would fix the problem right then and there unless we didnt have the part then we would keep it closed off or caution off. then we would go back to work on what we were doing. so I am sure that disney could have PULL ONE Guy off of what he was working on and send him over to fix the door or to caution it off.

BlackJackSavage

Stop blaming Disney. How many times do you go in and out of squeeky doors and nothing happens? How many times do you see it happen to someone elses kid and do nothing? Because it happened to your kid once you want to automatically pawn the blame on others when you are just as negligent for the childs safety as you want Disney to be! Please, I think it's time you stop complaining, stop assuming innocence. My child runs trips on her laces and smacks her head on the ground, so do I go file a complaint with Disney for the ground being too hard, or do I teach her to not run when her shoes are untied. In your case, sounds like your child should not have been running too far ahead and tried sneaking in the door and instead should have waited. In the end it should just be lesson learned and move on with a great vacation.

Raptorsr

I am in totally support of hardcard and hope his daughter is doing well. She is lucky something more serious didnt happen. I have to say everyone that is saying rude things are a bunch of idiots and talking threw there rears. If disney doesnt fix the door right away, what happens when another kid, or a senior or someone that doesnt have that much strength walks through the door just after someone? The door can slam shut causing fingers to get in the way or even an arm, which could even break a bone or cause tendon injury. Now where are those people that are tell hardcard that hes a bad parent if that happens. Its rediculous how simple and black and white this thread is. The door is broke and can (and I have seen) cause serious injuries from a broken safety hinge on a door. As a owner/manager of a hotel it is their responsibility to make sure the welfare of the guests is good and that anything of safety concern is broken needs to be fixed immediately.

Jerm

to end the debate, the close mechanism was hanging off the door and broken.. it wasn't a judgement call on the speed.. it was just broken.. not effective at ALL

Cause you took video of the door closing! Didn't you also take video of your family with Tigger about a year ago :ROFLOL:

I can type "Door Broken, Please Use Other Door" and print it, walk 200 feet and stick in to the door in less than 5 minutes.. don't give me the work order thing... they didn't need to have it fixed.. but a sign would have been nice.

Then you would be here posting how tacky it was to have some printed out sign put it up on the door???

I think the reason this keeps on going is you flat out blame Disney for something that happened to your child. Yes it is sad that your daughter got hurt and the door had problems that you are saying it did, you are the only person that knows or saw any of this and you keep on blaming a company that you choose to go to for vacation. You reported it, were you the first person to do this? You went back and checked it the next day before you left, oh wait no I am sorry 2 hours later...I am guessing the reason it might have been like that was 1. no one reported it because we all understand doors can be tricky things 2. it just broke and they had not had time to fix it, or 3. (my thoughts) you went in and broke it staged this whole thing so you could end of on some news station, but you are upset that something really tragic happend to a CM at AK that stole your thunder....that is it RIGHT?!?!?!?

Just thinking if I were a witness to this I would have seen your daughter would have been walking toward the door, not in any fast fashion at all, with her hands out to catch the door, because that is how I along with everyone I know were taught to approach a closing door, and the door slammed closed so fast no one had the time to get out of the way of it? Is that the case?

Oh and you know what you are right it is Disney's fault. Just like it is their fault that people have heart attacks on their attractions because they don't put enough signs up warning them IF YOU HAVE HEART PROBLEMS YOU SHOULD NOT RIDE.

It is the movie studios fault that my child heard adult words in the PG film because I didn't know that I should have to be mindful of those things.

It is Television's fault that my child hits other kids in his class because of all the violence on the TV show that my children watch. When I am not watching it with them.

Stop :cry: go down to Home Depot buy some lumber, a hammer, a few nails build yourself a little bridge and GET OVER IT:D

J

**and that is all I have to say about that**

figmentmom

I really think you should just be thankful your daughter is ok, remember how fun the rest of the trip was, and move on with life. After all, it's just a door.

Yes; doors are heavy for little ones, and from now on, I'd keep an eye on the kids around similar doors.

I'm glad your daughter is all right now, but I'm sorry you're apparently allowing this incident to ruin your trip in retrospect.

hardcard

Original Poster
Cause you took video of the door closing! Didn't you also take video of your family with Tigger about a year ago :ROFLOL:

Then you would be here posting how tacky it was to have some printed out sign put it up on the door???

I think the reason this keeps on going is you flat out blame Disney for something that happened to your child. Yes it is sad that your daughter got hurt and the door had problems that you are saying it did, you are the only person that knows or saw any of this and you keep on blaming a company that you choose to go to for vacation. You reported it, were you the first person to do this? You went back and checked it the next day before you left, oh wait no I am sorry 2 hours later...I am guessing the reason it might have been like that was 1. no one reported it because we all understand doors can be tricky things 2. it just broke and they had not had time to fix it, or 3. (my thoughts) you went in and broke it staged this whole thing so you could end of on some news station, but you are upset that something really tragic happend to a CM at AK that stole your thunder....that is it RIGHT?!?!?!?

Just thinking if I were a witness to this I would have seen your daughter would have been walking toward the door, not in any fast fashion at all, with her hands out to catch the door, because that is how I along with everyone I know were taught to approach a closing door, and the door slammed closed so fast no one had the time to get out of the way of it? Is that the case?

Oh and you know what you are right it is Disney's fault. Just like it is their fault that people have heart attacks on their attractions because they don't put enough signs up warning them IF YOU HAVE HEART PROBLEMS YOU SHOULD NOT RIDE.

It is the movie studios fault that my child heard adult words in the PG film because I didn't know that I should have to be mindful of those things.

It is Television's fault that my child hits other kids in his class because of all the violence on the TV show that my children watch. When I am not watching it with them.

Stop :cry: go down to Home Depot buy some lumber, a hammer, a few nails build yourself a little bridge and GET OVER IT:D

J

**and that is all I have to say about that**

tell ya what pumpkin... how about I smash your face in with a door.. or perhaps a loved one.. and see how you feel about it?

you summed up in one thread, the entire reason I have posted less than 500 times in nearly 7 years... because no matter what your opinion is, someone here always feels like they need to attack you at a personal level over it.

my daughter was injured by disneys broken door.. and then they ignored the problem, at least until today when I called the claims office and filed a formal complaint..

Don't like my course of action? I don't care.. my daugther is fine, aside from those 3-4 hours, the trip was great......

*IF* my daughter was more seriously injured it would likely have been much different.. If my daughter had broken bones, cuts (it is her face, after all) or needed hospitilization, I would be more inclined to take legal action against disney.. Having said that, that wasn't the case.. it was a minor incidicent.. but they demonstrated gross negligence at the same time.

and, btw.. if you feel the need to attack me on personal level, save it bud... I'm not sending in videos of tigger, and if I was interested in making a bigger public fuss over it , I owuld have called the sentinel before calling disney..

You are just ticked-off because I have a problem with the beloved mouse, stop being biased, stop drinking the kool-aid, and get over it. they were WRONG to have a faulty safety mech on the door.. it doesn't matter if you have 5 doors, or 500 doors... the device is not optional, and neither is it's working condition.... I guess you wouldn't be upset if your family died in a hotel fire because ONE sprinlker didn't work, eh?

think about it.

duck_daddy

"Then you would be here posting how tacky it was to have some printed out sign put it up on the door???

Stop go down to Home Depot buy some lumber, a hammer, a few nails build yourself a little bridge and GET OVER IT

J

**and that is all I have to say about that**"

Boy if that^^ wasn't the keep of smarta$$ replies. To my knowledge the guys not looking for a settlement, just concerned that: 1) The accident happened in the first place. 2) The door in question was not repaired. Whatever you may think, it is Disney's responsibility to fix these issues, maybe they shouldn't be priority, but they need to be fixed. This could be grounds for a lawsuit if neglect could be proven, which given the circumstances, wouldn't be that hard. If you don't have anything beneficial to add to the thread, other than useless, neagtive ramblings, it would be much appreciated by members such as myself if you would keep them to yourself! To the OP, sorry about your daughter, wishes for a speedy recovery. Kudos to you for trying to do the right thing!

the-reason14

Well the most important thing IMO is that your daughter is ok. But for those who say that its your fault and yadda yadda yad, man whatever. I dont see it like that. I think it is disney's fault because if the door was broke then its their responsibility to fix it to prevent stuff like that to happen. And like the op said, if he or she saw that it had tape on it or knew that it was messed up and still didnt try to avoid it or warn their daughter then yea its their fault.
I wasnt there and neither was anyone on this board except the op, but from what I read and how I interpret it, its disney's fault. Yes they could have been more cautious and watch their daughter, but still for someone to place the blame on the op and to have not been there, is dumb to me. Thats my take on it.

But I hope that the good memories you made on the trip will overshadow this accident.

duck_daddy

It's not uncommon for a five year old to run in front of their parents. I consider myself to be a good parent and if my kids are within arms reach, I'm good. However at WDW, kids get excited, they want to go, they may run ahead. If the door really swung with that much force, even at arms reach, you may not have been able to catch the door. My reactions aren't that great either!

SonicRuin

Love your avatar duck_daddy!!!

This thread might be one of the most amazing threads I have ever seen on any board. There's a band I love by the name of The Wildhearts. I usually get frustrated with their frontman's fanbase, as many of the fans believe he can do no wrong and praise him for everything. I have a feeling some Disney fans might be worse. Folks, admit the simple fact, Disney may have made a mistake with the treatment of what happened. Plain and simple. I'm sure our hero and family will return in the future and holds no ill-will to the corporation and will possibly still pick up Pirates of the Caribbean: At Worlds End this coming week or for the holidays. I'm sure all is going to be fine in the world. I would just expect that another "hey...you won't believe what happened to me in Disney" will not happen, unless it is blind praise for the Mouse and gang.

DisneyGigi

I have a couple of questions. Did your daughter have a good time? Other than this incident did your family enjoy themselves? Is this the major memory and reflection of this trip?
I am not taking away from the fact that your daughter got hurt and I am sorry for that.
I never let my kids walk through a door that I don't reach and push it open myself behind them if they are in front of me, out of habit I guess, but I know that when you are talking about a small child, they don't have the strength to hold open most doors that are working properly. They are simply to heavy for them in most cases.
I am not making judgments on your parenting, we all have things happen and think later what could I have done to help prevent it.

duck_daddy

Love your avatar duck_daddy!!!

This thread might be one of the most amazing threads I have ever seen on any board. There's a band I love by the name of The Wildhearts. I usually get frustrated with their frontman's fanbase, as many of the fans believe he can do no wrong and praise him for everything. I have a feeling some Disney fans might be worse. Folks, admit the simple fact, Disney may have made a mistake with the treatment of what happened. Plain and simple. I'm sure our hero and family will return in the future and holds no ill-will to the corporation and will possibly still pick up Pirates of the Caribbean: At Worlds End this coming week or for the holidays. I'm sure all is going to be fine in the world. I would just expect that another "hey...you won't believe what happened to me in Disney" will not happen, unless it is blind praise for the Mouse and gang.
Thanks, Dr. House is the reason I want to be a Doctor. Just kidding, but he does rock! I agree with your points, and think this is the issue in a nutshell.

Montyboy

The OP is not a bad parent. This one is on Disney.

And for all of you who claim safety devices can't be expected to work every time or all of the time, just hope your airline doesn't feel the same way.

duck_daddy

I have a couple of questions. Did your daughter have a good time? Other than this incident did your family enjoy themselves? Is this the major memory and reflection of this trip?
I am not taking away from the fact that your daughter got hurt and I am sorry for that.
I never let my kids walk through a door that I don't reach and push it open myself behind them if they are in front of me, out of habit I guess, but I know that when you are talking about a small child, they don't have the strength to hold open most doors that are working properly. They are simply to heavy for them in most cases.
I am not making judgments on your parenting, we all have things happen and think later what could I have done to help prevent it.
So all of this should make things better. I'm sure they had a good trip, they were at WDW, but case in point, his kid got smacked in the face with a door. This is not someone dwelling on bad service at a restaurant, or a rude castmember, this was physical injury! I think he has a right to be upset.

duck_daddy

The OP is not a bad parent. This one is on Disney.

And for all of you who claim safety devices can't be expected to work every time or all of the time, just hope your airline doesn't feel the same way.
Airlines do feel that way.......that's why I don't fly!:ROFLOL:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom