It happened to me! Ouch!

Status
Not open for further replies.

happymom52003

Hardcard....if I were you, I would stop reading the replies to this thread. You do not need to keep defending yourself to these people who are flat out making things up. Apparently they all have some psychic ability to go back in time and witness the event that happened to your daughter, and apparently they all deserve the parent of the year award for always protecting their children from harm. If you read your original post, and then read what some of these people are saying, it is insane. Alot of posters have made themselves look really immature. I am fascinated at how so many people can't seem to understand the concept of a door being broken. THE SAFETY DEVICE IS THERE FOR A REASON......WHEN THE SAFETY DEVICE BREAKS, THE DOOR IS NO LONGER SAFE. What is so hard about that to understand???:hammer: And for all we know, your daughter may not have been the only person injured by that same door. Anything at WDW that poses a threat to the safety of the guests should be fixed asap. Whether it is something major with a ride, or something minor like a spilled drink on the floor that could cause someone to slip. IT SHOULD BE FIXED.

Captain Chaos

ok, I re-read the original post 3 times and I still can't find any reference to wanting something from Disney other than a response to getting the door fixed ... next point, some posters are stating that the OP is looking to blame Disney for the door hitting his daughter in the face ... again, re-read the o.p and couldn't find anything saying the door hitting her was Disney's fault ...

You couldn't find where the OP said Disney was at fault??? Let me point out a few:

1. my daughter was injured, unfortunately due to Disney's Negligence.
2. DISNEY WAS AT FAULT, THE DOOR WAS BROKEN
3. The other guy was NOT to blame
4. The guy was not at fault, Disney was... I've said this multiple times, perhaps you missed it? Yes, the OP said it many times, did you miss it?? DISNEY WAS AT FAULT... Hm, sounds an aweful lot like the OP blames Disney... Yet, you say he wasn't.. Re-read AGAIN...

With that said, OP.. I hope your daughter is OK.... And I hope you lose in your lawsuit... (Trust me people, this guy is only starting to prepare his suit.... no matter what he says)

duck_daddy

You couldn't find where the OP said Disney was at fault??? Let me point out a few:

4. The guy was not at fault, Disney was... I've said this multiple times, perhaps you missed it? Yes, the OP said it many times, did you miss it?? DISNEY WAS AT FAULT... Hm, sounds an aweful lot like the OP blames Disney... Yet, you say he wasn't.. Re-read AGAIN...

With that said, OP.. I hope your daughter is OK.... And I hope you lose in your lawsuit... (Trust me people, this guy is only starting to prepare his suit.... no matter what he says)
Sure he's saying Disney is to blame, they are. If he chooses to file suit, it would be justified. If the door is operational, no one gets hurt. Let him blame Disney. He has not asked for anything in return thus far!

DMC-12

It's HarmonioUS, NOT HarmoniYOU.
I dont blame the parent... Disney a lil bit for the faulty door mech... but I mostly blame the oaf that let the door slam in the lil' girls face. ? Hold doors open much? A little courtesy goes a long way, and in this case.. the little girl would of been fine... had the oaf held the door for a second longer for the girl and her family.

*grabs a popcorn*

DisneyGigi

So all of this should make things better. I'm sure they had a good trip, they were at WDW, but case in point, his kid got smacked in the face with a door. This is not someone dwelling on bad service at a restaurant, or a rude castmember, this was physical injury! I think he has a right to be upset.

I am not saying that it should make it better. I was just asking when looking back is this going to be the major memory and it is it worth arguing on a message board?
I am saying that blame should be shared. Doors are heavy even if they are working properly, a 5 year old child cannot always hold them open, in most cases that I have seen.

duck_daddy

I am not saying that it should make it better. I was just asking when looking back is this going to be the major memory and it is it worth arguing on a message board?
I am saying that blame should be shared. Doors are heavy even if they are working properly, a 5 year old child cannot always hold them open, in most cases that I have seen.
Maybe not so much a lasting memory for the parent, but as a child having a door smash your face could stick with you!

duck_daddy

I dont blame the parent... Disney a lil bit for the faulty door mech... but I mostly blame the oaf that let the door slam in the lil' girls face. ? Hold doors open much? A little courtesy goes a long way, and in this case.. the little girl would of been fine... had the oaf held the door for a second longer for the girl and her family.

*grabs a popcorn*
Well common courtesy goes along way, however there is less and less of that in the world today, see some of the previous posts for examples!

hardcard

Original Poster

if I was going to sue, i wouldn't have posted here.. it basically destroys any chance at winning a case.. I'm not as stupid as you may think, and I make more than necessary to keep my family comfortable.. why the hell would i need to sue?

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
I agree that it is Disney's responsibility to keep safety devices in working order.

I completely understand hardcards concerns.

I just read 6 pages of peoples thoughts, and I must say, the whole situation is a shame, but the most important thing is that your daughter is alright. Also keep in mind a lot of people just like to argue. If your going to send a complaint to Disney, do it, and don't keep trying to convince everyone your right. Your just wasting your time. Take care :wave:

Post of the day! :wave:

mitchk

I agree that it is Disney's responsibility to keep safety devices in working order.

I completely understand hardcards concerns.

Post of the day! :wave:

Thank you :wave:, I was just about to quote myself. :wave:

jmvd20

Just to clarify, the code I posted earlier was from New Jersey but after some searching Florida has the same provisions under NFPA and ADA code. Also I found that Florida did indeed adopt NFPA 1 (2003 ed) in 2005 as the main part of the 2005 Florida Fire Prevention Code. The pertinent sections about maintenance and upkeep are listed below.

Building code:

1001.3 Maintenance.
Means of egress shall be maintained in accordance with the fire code .

2005 Florida Fire Prevention Code - Based upon NFPA 1 2003 edition:

10.4.1 Whenever or wherever any device, equipment, system, condition, arrangement, level of protection, or any other feature is required for compliance with the provisions of this Code, such device, equipment, system, condition, arrangement, level of protection, or other feature shall thereafter be continuously maintained in accordance with applicable NFPA requirements or as directed by the AHJ.

10.4.2 Any nonrequired system that creates an unsafe or hazardous condition shall be removed.

Therefore the building code and ADA tells us that door closers are required, it then directs us to the Fire Code for maintenance procedures. Section 10.4.1 is very clear that all devices including the notorious door closers must be *continuously* maintained in working condition.

Section 10.4.2 is icing on the cake, if the door wasn't heavy enough or not required to have a closer - it would not have had one.

No this did not take me that long, I know codes and I know where to find exactly what I am looking for. I found the Ohio codes this AM but wanted to verify Florida was the same prior to posting false information.

Bottom line, no matter how many people state that they *think* or it is their *opinion* that WDW is not repsonsible for repairing that door closer or blocking off the area immediately (so long as adequate means of egress remain) are unfortunately... mistaken.

:wave:

tigger248

I can type "Door Broken, Please Use Other Door" and print it, walk 200 feet and stick in to the door in less than 5 minutes.. don't give me the work order thing... they didn't need to have it fixed.. but a sign would have been nice.

Yes, I agree that it's nice to have signs. However, as a former cast member, I can tell you that companies such as Disney do not approve of hand made signs going up. Most likely you did not see a sign because signs have to be "official" to be posted. Cast members simply are not allowed to just go type a sign and post it.

Man, I can understand your frustration and I hope that your daughter is ok. I just think that there is a bigger picture to consider. Just because you didn't see anything being done, does not necessarily mean that Disney is not doing anything to rectify the situation.

:wave:

STGRhost

I know I'm late to the party, but I have to ask: Why are so many people here okay with mechanical devices, including (especially!) those made for safety, not necessarily working correctly all the time? Posts like these:

Take the earlier, albeit weak, example with fire extinguishers. These simply can not be guaranteed to be in working order every second of every day.

It's one thing to have to put complete trust in Disney for your safety when you're on, say, Rock N Rollercoaster. When you're doing high-speed loops while strapped into a seat you have no control over your own well being. But going through a door? Do you need to put all of your trust into the Disney Company in order to know that you can safely make it through a door?

..are a little scary to me. You DON'T expect Disney to be able to maintain a door properly, but you're still willing to ride a roller coaster they're also responsible for maintaining? Really? And you'd better bet I expect to be able to use a fire extinguisher if I needed one. That's the whole point of safety devices! I'm all for defending Disney when necessary (even more than they probably deserve sometimes. :p), but I'm not willing to let ANY company slide when it comes to safety standards.
Think about it this way: Isn't the lack of stringent maintenance procedures (or the break down in following such procedures) what led to the horrific BTM accident in Disneyland in 2003? I am not actually saying this incident is anywhere near as serious as that one, but when we start letting "little" things like broken door closers slide, it's that much easier to let bigger and bigger things go, too, which is what eventually caught up to the folks at Disneyland.
I, for one, am not willing to cut Disney slack on things as important as safety.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom