It happened to me! Ouch!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tigsmom

While I feel sorry for your daughter and her injury (and hope that she has recovered) I'm just wondering why you're blaming Disney. The guy in front let the door go (why isnt he to blame). Why was your daughter so far in front of everyone that someone couldn't stop the door because you're daughters "reaction time to a something like that is slow"
OK, so the hinge may not be working as designed but as a parent I didn't let my five year olds attempt swinging hinged doors by themselves.

I'm going to agree with you here Captain. This is in no way Disney's fault...it was an accident. Sure the guy should have looked behind him before he let the door go (where has common courtesy gone? ) and maybe the child should not have been allowed to wander ahead of the family (its WDW & everyone is excited), but to follow the train of thought then everyone who is injured or inconvenienced by the indifference of their fellow visitors should blame Disney....nope.
In March my then 12 y/o was warned about the lip between the dock and the boat, she :rolleyes: and said "I know". Guess what? Yep, she fell and cut up her knee. We ended up at First Aid for the better part of 30 minutes. Was this Disney's fault too?

hardcard, I'm sorry your daughter was injured, but it wasn't Disney's fault. Hopefully she will recover quickly and this will soon be just one memory (albeit not a great one) from your trip.

sounds like you should calm down...

shes's still alive and i think the guy who let it go in her face is more to blame.

it sounds to me like you just want something for free

jmvd20

And finally.. A Door closer is required by code on doors of this type (weight/location), to prevent this injury, as well as slamming of hands in heavy doors, etc.. It's a safety component and is NOT optional to have in working order

B I N G O!!!!!

These topics always seem to get somewhat emotional. I think it stems from how many people out there try to sue anything and everyone over minor instances. The few idiots ruin it for everyone as anytime an injury is posted numerous people think it may be blown out of proportion in order to sue someone.

Some people may be missing your point that you are more upset with how the situation was handled. I would be the same way after seeing my son injured in such an instance.

I also want to point out that you were also upset that the door was not repaired or blocked off - even the next day. This just leaves someone else open to getting injured. I can see exactly how you feel in this situation and why you feel the way you do.

hardcard

Original Poster
I'm going to agree with you here Captain. This is in no way Disney's fault...it was an accident. Sure the guy should have looked behind him before he let the door go (where has common courtesy gone? ) and maybe the child should not have been allowed to wander ahead of the family (its WDW & everyone is excited), but to follow the train of though then everyone who is injured or inconvenienced by the indifference of their fellow visitors should blame Disney....nope.
In March my then 12 y/o was warned about the lip between the dock and the boat, she :rolleyes: and said "I know". Guess what? Yep, she fell and cut up her knee. We ended up at First Aid for the better part of 30 minutes. Was this Disney's fault too?

Let me clarify one last time...

#1. the guy was not at fault
#2. THE CHILD DID NOT WANDER AHEAD.. SHE WAS CLOSE ENOUGH TO HOLD MY HAND
#3. The damn door was broken, and neither the guy ahead of us, no we, knew.. and the door closer DID NOT WORK.. had it worked, we would have continued out of the door (obviously, holding it open while we exited) and went on our way... but the door was BROKEN AND PROVIDED A SAFETY HAZARD.

Falling off the dock wasn't disney fault.. it was a dangerous spot, marked as such, and the child was hurt because they didn't listen or were not properly watched..

*IF* the door had caution tape on it, and I had used it anyway, then this WOULD NOT be disney's fault.. but they fact that it was broken is totally different.. the broken door was the reason for the accident..

Meanwhile, what upsets me the most, is the fact that it still wasn't fixed the day we left... not even flagged as broken...

cmatt

Mmm - attitude problem with a case of possible compensationitis here.

is there REALLY a need to be so rude? :rolleyes:

OP has not mentioned at any single stage that he wants to file a claim as from all accounts it is not part of his mindset.

To me - ive read the situation that he is horrified to see his 5 year old daughter get clobbered in the face with a heavy door. If it was my niece (she is only 3 months old but hay ho) i would be shaken up too. Im stunned that she came off with just a bruise!

You state that she should be under control but kids that age do run off ahead as they like to be mobile.

Anyway - it is up to disney to investigate - and i can understand if it took them a while to supply a new fitting for the door. The guy ahead probably didnt even see your daughter behind him anyway...

jmvd20

This is in no way Disney's fault...it was an accident.

Yes it is...

Disney is responsible to ensure that all public safety devices are in proper working order...

A door closer is a safety device, the same as an emergency light or fire extinguisher. Door closers in many situations are required by code and in some instances they are part of the fire code and *must* be maintained in a working condition at all times. Had a fire marshall or building inspector seen this door closer they have the authority to oder the building to be vacated or if another egress is available to shut the area down until it is repaired. This is not a matter of opinion it is a matter of fact.

hardcard

Original Poster
B I N G O!!!!!

These topics always seem to get somewhat emotional. I think it stems from how many people out there try to sue anything and everyone over minor instances. The few idiots ruin it for everyone as anytime an injury is posted numerous people think it may be blown out of proportion in order to sue someone.

Some people may be missing your point that you are more upset with how the situation was handled. I would be the same way after seeing my son injured in such an instance.

I also want to point out that you were also upset that the door was not repaired or blocked off - even the next day. This just leaves someone else open to getting injured. I can see exactly how you feel in this situation and why you feel the way you do.

I appreciate that.. And yes.. the last thing I want is for someone else, or their child to have the door injur them as well... Many people have accused me of wanting to profit from this... Well.... to be perfectly honest.. if that was the case, WDWMagic would be the last place I would have posted my story FIRST.

To those of you that say I could have prevented it.. It happened in about 1 to 1.5 SECONDS.. Unless you are superman, the flash, or a really suped-up delorian, it could NOT have been prevented UNLESS Disney had a properly maintained and functional door closer mech on the door..

and one last time.. I was inches from my daughter went in happened.. The door shut like a friggin steel trap... which is why is supposed to have the door closer on it in the first place..

anyway.. not looking for compensation, was just trying to share my story, and voice my disgust that the door hadn't been fixed..

jmvd20

I cannot believe that you are being made the bad person in this thread...

You did nothing wrong and are not demanding anything unreasonable from Disney. You have every right to be upset about what happened and for posting your thoughts here.

I guess there are just way too many who feel Disney can do no wrong, or are just mis-interpreting what you have said.

hardcard

Original Poster

#2. THE CHILD DID NOT WANDER AHEAD.. SHE WAS CLOSE ENOUGH TO HOLD MY HAND

...maybe its your fault, watch your kid

I was watching my kid, as you put it.. It's Disney that needs to WATCH the door.. again, this wasnt a case of 'the door shut on her'.. it was a case of 'the broken door slammed shut and hit her in the face'..

totally different... but thanks for playing!

hardcard

Original Poster
I cannot believe that you are being made the bad person in this thread...

You did nothing wrong and are not demanding anything unreasonable from Disney. You have every right to be upset about what happened and for posting your thoughts here.

I guess there are just way too many who feel Disney can do no wrong, or are just mis-interpreting what you have said.

I am hoping it's more about mis-interpreting what I said... I really hope that we as a public haven't become so nieve to think that Disney can do no wrong.

twooley2

accidents

Now I was not present for this situation but it is my opinion that accidents do and will happen everyday in life. There were times when kids did not wear seatbelts or require bottles water and drank from water hoses as per a familiar song I know. Not everything can be prevented every second of everyday. It appears to be an accident probably taught her to watch out and slow down for doors or whatever... not that she needs a lesson but we are all learning daily by accidents and experiences.

hardcard

Original Poster
Now I was not present for this situation but it is my opinion that accidents do and will happen everyday in life. There were times when kids did not wear seatbelts or require bottles water and drank from water hoses as per a familiar song I know. Not everything can be prevented every second of everyday. It appears to be an accident probably taught her to watch out and slow down for doors or whatever... not that she needs a lesson but we are all learning daily by accidents and experiences.

I hear what you are saying.. Accidents do happen. and thats where we are leaving it personally.. as a accident.. but Disney needs to realize that it could have been someone more interested in money and litigation, and a simply door-close mech could have costed them thousands, or more..

Bottom line is.. They need to fix the damn door.. Would it be ok to complain if my daughter had fallen out of thunder mountain because a safety feature had failed?

same thing.

jmvd20

Would it be ok to complain if my daughter had fallen out of thunder mountain because a safety feature had failed?

No. that would be your fault as well. Accidents happen and Disney has SO many rides to maintain they just can't get to them all everyday. Also you should have had an extra safety feature with you as all responsible parents do.

Just tryin to lighten up the room...

After I darkened it that is... ;)

I hear what you are saying.. Accidents do happen. and thats where we are leaving it personally.. as a accident.. but Disney needs to realize that it could have been someone more interested in money and litigation, and a simply door-close mech could have costed them thousands, or more..

Bottom line is.. They need to fix the damn door.. Would it be ok to complain if my daughter had fallen out of thunder mountain because a safety feature had failed?

same thing.
Please stop the cursing:eek:

hardcard

Original Poster
I love this thread! Hello to everyone else who is observing. :wave:

Hey! Thanks! We try! There are beverages and snacks in the back of the room, and a whole slew of lawnchairs!

:)

Meanwhile,I'm calling to file the complaint in a little while, and let you guys know what they say... again. I am NOT looking for compensation, I want the problem fixed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom