Is the clock ticking on the Sorcerer Mickey Hat icon at the Studios? YES!

techiegsy

I feel the problem with the studios is that it does need an icon, it makes and impact and is easy for an advertising point of view. But an Icon is best suited to and entrance or the centre, the problem with the studios is that it wasn't designed to have a central icon, so there was really nowhere to put it.

The earful tower isn't in the right place to be an icon and rides rarely make a good icon (except SSE, but thats an icon with a ride inside it, not just a ride building) and putting it somewhere like Fantasmic or animation studios would take away from the central idea of the Icon, so the only place for it is outside really, strikes you as you go in but leaves a view of the theatre.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
Screw you guys, I like the hat. Once its gone (if it does leave), you all will just find something else to complain about anyway.

There are many things to complain about, as always. We will complain about them before the hat goes and after the hat goes. But we're here because, on the whole, we love WDW.

Do you like everything at WDW?

Yup, management isn't the biggest fan of WDI.

First of all, the enhancements should have been much greater. Management cut his budget. And the HM refurb is quite possibly the best one ever, so he's definitely got that.

And what you have to remember about the wand and hat, they were supposed to be temporary, and management made the decision to keep them around. Don't blame him for that.

As for your revolution...management will always outweigh WDI in the modern world.

EDIT: And Fitzgerald was Marty Sklar's pupil. Just because someone is someone's protege, doesn't mean they are exactly like them. Believe me, he's a good guy. I've met him.

I'm no lover of many of the deicsions made by TDO and Disney management. But the business world is structured the way it is in terms of decision-making for very good reasons. Engineers design bridges, and they should be allowed to do that without interference because they're the ones that can understand how to build them to the right strength, etc. But that doesn't mean that they are qualified to determine where we need bridges -- that's a different function. Imagineers are great at what they do, but just because they are great at that doesn't mean they'd be great at making all the decisions that corporate managers have to make.

I believe the book was due to come out this past Tuesday... I had pre-ordered it from Amazon... I just got an email from them saying the book has been delayed until June...

As for the hat, I don't hate it, but, if it went away tomorrow, I wouldn't miss it... But we all know what's comign next... A larger than life LUXO JR!!! There is your icon for Disney-Pixar Studios... :zipit:

Wasn't there talk of a Luxo Jr. being designed that would hop around the top of one of the buildings in Pixar Place? Or did I dream that along with the pics of Mr. Spell actually spelling??

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
BTW' What has Jacobson done that is any good. Look at his resume'
Pirates of the Caribbean 2006 "Enhancements". The Hat. The Wand. Spaceship Earth 07 I will give him the Haunted Mansion Enhancements and Rock&Roller Coaster but what else did he do that was any good? He's Fitzgeralds pupil.

Great Movie Ride and Tower of Terror spring to mind. :)

EPCOT Explorer

There are many things to complain about, as always. We will complain about them before the hat goes and after the hat goes. But we're here because, on the whole, we love WDW.

Do you like everything at WDW?

Wasn't there talk of a Luxo Jr. being designed that would hop around the top of one of the buildings in Pixar Place? Or did I dream that along with the pics of Mr. Spell actually spelling??

First::sohappy:

Second: Yes, there are/were plans. I hope it comes around:D

SirGoofy

I'm no lover of many of the deicsions made by TDO and Disney management. But the business world is structured the way it is in terms of decision-making for very good reasons. Engineers design bridges, and they should be allowed to do that without interference because they're the ones that can understand how to build them to the right strength, etc. But that doesn't mean that they are qualified to determine where we need bridges -- that's a different function. Imagineers are great at what they do, but just because they are great at that doesn't mean they'd be great at making all the decisions that corporate managers have to make.

I know what you are trying to say, but you're example is weak. Imagineers DO know where we need "bridges." They obviously can't be allowed to build all of them, but they do know what's needed.

Management does stifle them TO much. Am I saying they should be given free reign? Absolutely not, but they should be allowed to build the projects as they designed them, without budget cuts.

EpcotServo

:lol::lol:

Travis! Why the heck are you not in DHS today!?!? It's like the National Holiday for you!

I'm not some Comic Book Villain. Did you think I would let you know of my master plan if there was any chance you could alter the outcome?

I went to the Studios...35 Minutes ago.

SirGoofy

I'm not some Comic Book Villain. Did you think I would let you know of my master plan if there was any chance you could alter the outcome?

I went to the Studios...35 Minutes ago.

:)lol: I was there all morning, said some greetings to our peoples, rode some rides, saw the amazing stuff.)

Bravo, sir. Great quote.

EpcotServo

:ROFLOL::ROFLOL::sohappy:

Thought you would be there all day! FOR SHAME!:lol:

:lol: I was there all morning, said some greetings to our peoples, rode some rides, saw the amazing stuff. The Imagineer presentation was AMAZING. Had a blast watching Studios memories from my early childhood from the Backlot Tour, like "The Lottery" and all that cool stuff!
:sohappy:

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
I know what you are trying to say, but you're example is weak. Imagineers DO know where we need "bridges." They obviously can't be allowed to build all of them, but they do know what's needed.

Management does stifle them TO much. Am I saying they should be given free reign? Absolutely not, but they should be allowed to build the projects as they designed them, without budget cuts.

I agree that management here is stifling the Imagineers TO(O) much. My point is the "Imagineer revolution" thing is overblown. We don't need Imagineers running the company. We need corporate managers who can recognize the talents of the Imagineers and use them better.

Of course, others looking at the decisions made by corporate management might believe that they have done well. :fork:

EPCOT Explorer

:lol: I was there all morning, said some greetings to our peoples, rode some rides, saw the amazing stuff. The Imagineer presentation was AMAZING. Had a blast watching Studios memories from my early childhood from the Backlot Tour, like "The Lottery" and all that cool stuff!
:sohappy:
Glad you had a good time!:D

It sounds amazing.:king:

SirGoofy

I agree that management here is stifling the Imagineers TO(O) much. My point is the "Imagineer revolution" thing is overblown. We don't need Imagineers running the company. We need corporate managers who can recognize the talents of the Imagineers and use them better.

I completely agree. I wasn't the one who was talking about this revolution.:lol:

The Imagineers we have now are capable of great things, as long as they are given the opportunity.

Mr.EPCOT

yep. exactly what i said. idk why they would just repaint it and add in some new lights then just tear it down.

I would like to point out that EPCOT went to the not insignificant expense of bringing a crane in and replacing all of the light bulbs on and touching up the wand just a couple of months before they started dismantling it. I remember being bummed out because I thought that was one of the final nails in the coffin for the darn thing to come down anytime in the near future. Little did I know... :sohappy:

Earful Tower, IMO, can't be an icon for the park again. It's hard to see as is, but when the Backlot Tour closes, it will really be out of site. Not that some of you can't see it from the park, because I know you can, but most guests would never notice it and very few people will photograph it.

I would imagine that the Earful Tower will become more visible and accessible to Guests if and when Pixar Place is expanded back there, and Guests might be wandering around that area.

WDW1974

Interesting points. I have to defend Eric Jacobsen. He is a nice guy and a talented Imagineer. He has worked on many wonderful projects, including being lead designer of Blizzard Beach to the recent amazing rehab of the Mansion at MK.

Most times, it isn't WDI at fault when you see disasters at the parks. And, sometimes (though not all) it isn't even a question of them not being given enough money.

Today, so many things that made Disney what it is simply don't matter in the final equation. Why did the hat get built?

Because TDO wanted to sell more merchandise and had determined to center the 100 Years of Walt marketing event on Disney-MGM. EPCOT had just had the very successful Milennium Celebration, which pushed numbers higher with simply a new version of Illuminations, an artsy (but repetitive) parade and ... yeah, a giant Mickey hand over SSE. They weren't going back there, they saw no reason to hold it at MK (people will show up there no matter what to bask in the pixie dust), and DAK wouldn't have made any sense.

So WDI (and Eric) were tasked with coming up with something that was cheap, would tie the marketing event together and could help sell more merchandise. The placement of the hat was not an accident and was designed to make you forget there was a highly themed, expensive, AA-filled attraction behind it since -- at the time -- the plan was to kill the GMR and replace it with a Disney-character thrill ride that would have made no sense with the Chinese Theater facade.

So the BAH/pinshack got dropped down almost like a tornado placed it in the center of the park.

WDI and Eric can't be blamed for it. Wanna blame someone? You could blame Michael Eisner (he signed off on it). You could blame Paul Pressler. You could blame Al Weiss.

The sad thing is the BAH has become a symbol (more so than the wand, perhaps) of the WalMarting and dumbing down of the Disney theme park product into something much less than what it should be ... what it used to be. The defending (which again thankfully seems much less than what it was a few years ago) of decisions like that are simply because of the way Disney has conditioned a new generation of guests to this lower quality product.

I usually let my own words speak for themselves, but a Micechat poster 'Another Voice' recently posted what I am going to quote below in a thread about why and how you get a DCA vs. a DisneySea. What that basic mentality is that allows that ... a fascinating discussion and one I think summed up by the fact something like that hat could exist in the place and state it does.

"A company will attract customers that want the product that it offers.

For more than a decade Disney in the United States has offered nothing but "lifestyle branding" - trying to convince people that simply buying "Disney" goods will make their life "magical". It's the same idea behind Nike (you'll be a better athlete in our shoes), Apple (you're a cooler person when you listen to an iPod), Porsche (your, …er, anatomy is bigger in our cars).

People simply wanting a good vacation or people looking for the traditional Disney “your fantasies come to life” have been left out. And so they’ve simply stopped going. They have been replaced by people who have “fallen” for the new Disney.

People who think that surrounding themselves with “Mickey Mouse” will make them happy don’t have any interest in a place like DisneySea. The Tokyo parks (at least for the time being) continue to focus on universal wants and desires – the desire for great adventure, the desire to enter imaginary worlds and experience them for one’s own self, the desire to see other places and other times.

The new Disney is second hand. It’s self esteem by association. ‘High School Musical’ is cool, I like ‘High School Musical’, therefore I am cool. I feel magical at WDW, so if I buy a Disney Vacation Club membership I can escape my real live more often to feel magical. I’m a better person than you because I joined D23 and bought an eight hundred dollar pen to show how much of Disney fan I am.

This affirmation by credit card has ruined the U.S. parks. I pray to the gods that Tokyo stops this trend and remains true."

EPCOT Explorer

Interesting points. I have to defend Eric Jacobsen. He is a nice guy and a talented Imagineer. He has worked on many wonderful projects, including being lead designer of Blizzard Beach to the recent amazing rehab of the Mansion at MK.

Most times, it isn't WDI at fault when you see disasters at the parks. And, sometimes (though not all) it isn't even a question of them not being given enough money.

Today, so many things that made Disney what it is simply don't matter in the final equation. Why did the hat get built?

Because TDO wanted to sell more merchandise and had determined to center the 100 Years of Walt marketing event on Disney-MGM. EPCOT had just had the very successful Milennium Celebration, which pushed numbers higher with simply a new version of Illuminations, an artsy (but repetitive) parade and ... yeah, a giant Mickey hand over SSE. They weren't going back there, they saw no reason to hold it at MK (people will show up there no matter what to bask in the pixie dust), and DAK wouldn't have made any sense.

So WDI (and Eric) were tasked with coming up with something that was cheap, would tie the marketing event together and could help sell more merchandise. The placement of the hat was not an accident and was designed to make you forget there was a highly themed, expensive, AA-filled attraction behind it since -- at the time -- the plan was to kill the GMR and replace it with a Disney-character thrill ride that would have made no sense with the Chinese Theater facade.

So the BAH/pinshack got dropped down almost like a tornado placed it in the center of the park.

WDI and Eric can't be blamed for it. Wanna blame someone? You could blame Michael Eisner (he signed off on it). You could blame Paul Pressler. You could blame Al Weiss.

The sad thing is the BAH has become a symbol (more so than the wand, perhaps) of the WalMarting and dumbing down of the Disney theme park product into something much less than what it should be ... what it used to be. The defending (which again thankfully seems much less than what it was a few years ago) of decisions like that are simply because of the way Disney has conditioned a new generation of guests to this lower quality product.

I usually let my own words speak for themselves, but a Micechat poster 'Another Voice' recently posted what I am going to quote below in a thread about why and how you get a DCA vs. a DisneySea. What that basic mentality is that allows that ... a fascinating discussion and one I think summed up by the fact something like that hat could exist in the place and state it does.

"A company will attract customers that want the product that it offers.

For more than a decade Disney in the United States has offered nothing but "lifestyle branding" - trying to convince people that simply buying "Disney" goods will make their life "magical". It's the same idea behind Nike (you'll be a better athlete in our shoes), Apple (you're a cooler person when you listen to an iPod), Porsche (your, …er, anatomy is bigger in our cars).

People simply wanting a good vacation or people looking for the traditional Disney “your fantasies come to life” have been left out. And so they’ve simply stopped going. They have been replaced by people who have “fallen” for the new Disney.

People who think that surrounding themselves with “Mickey Mouse” will make them happy don’t have any interest in a place like DisneySea. The Tokyo parks (at least for the time being) continue to focus on universal wants and desires – the desire for great adventure, the desire to enter imaginary worlds and experience them for one’s own self, the desire to see other places and other times.

The new Disney is second hand. It’s self esteem by association. ‘High School Musical’ is cool, I like ‘High School Musical’, therefore I am cool. I feel magical at WDW, so if I buy a Disney Vacation Club membership I can escape my real live more often to feel magical. I’m a better person than you because I joined D23 and bought an eight hundred dollar pen to show how much of Disney fan I am.

This affirmation by credit card has ruined the U.S. parks. I pray to the gods that Tokyo stops this trend and remains true."
That's fantastic analysis. Well done on his part. I think that holds true for the current WDW too. We used to have 4 (or is DAK to new to add into the mix) parks that provided for a experience and in it was unique. And in that, it was unique. It was Disney.

We still have that, but it seems very much clouded my the generic Disney. The Pixie Dust, the Stitch, the HSM. WDW needs it's originality back.

Uncle Lupe

p78b.jpg

Take the hat down and install a giant one of these.

The Conundrum

Unfortunatly I don't think the hat is being removed in the next few years because theymade the decision to spend money upgrading the lighting system on it.

idiots :mad:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom