Is the clock ticking on the Sorcerer Mickey Hat icon at the Studios? YES!

NORMNB8S

Earlier today, I was talking to a friend and fellow Disney junkie and I was telling him that I didn't like the hat. As I thought about it, I find myself leaning more towards indifference. Is it completely awesome? No, not really. Is it the worst thing in the history of Disney? No, not really. If it were torn down tomorrow, I wouldn't lose any sleep. If it stood there for the remainder of my life, that would be alright too. The park itself doesn't need a symbol except for merchandising purposes and the hat is perfect for that purpose. Whatever they choose to do, it won't effect my desire to be at Disney World.

T-1MILLION

So my local Barnes and Noble and Books A Million Book stores have confirmed on their database that the Field Guide to Hollywood Studios has been delayed until July...2010.

I mean dang. If that is true I figured it is to go ahead and add in American Idol and possibly something...more?

HMF

Oh c'mon - he added to PotC what he was paid to do. quote]
He was paid to have the name "Captain Jack Sparrow" shouted at you 20+ times?
As for the DHS book delay. That can either very dissapointing or very exciting. As for WDI' I will always side with them over management but they are not guiltless. Tony Baxter should be in charge.

Foolish1

I too don't like the hat where it is. Let's take some classic architecture, and then plop down a caroonish hat in the middle. (Not just the theater, but also including all of Hollywood Blvd.) How dumb is that?

But, I have a problem with removing it. So you remove it, then what? To date, the central icon for each park is a particular "weenie" you can find pretty much in the center of the park. Since the theater is no longer an option, what do you use as your "weenie"? And if you move the hat to in front of the Hollywood Hills Amphitheater, that is no longer central to the park. If you move it to out front of the turnstiles, again, same issue. I highly suspect that Disney (WDI and TDO) is grappling with this thinking now.

I highly suspect that the hat will come down about the time that the GMR finally starts it's long talked about refurb/extreme-makeover.

I think that whoever suggested putting the hat in front of the Hollywood Hills Amphitheater had a great idea. And at first, putting it where the Christmas tree goes sounded good, until you think about it further. I think putting it there is a mistake. It would be the first time that a (current) icon was outside of a park. I think that sends a muddled message.

HMF

I too don't like the hat where it is. Let's take some classic architecture, and then plop down a caroonish hat in the middle. (Not just the theater, but also including all of Hollywood Blvd.) How dumb is that?

But, I have a problem with removing it. So you remove it, then what? To date, the central icon for each park is a particular "weenie" you can find pretty much in the center of the park. Since the theater is no longer an option, what do you use as your "weenie"? And if you move the hat to in front of the Hollywood Hills Amphitheater, that is no longer central to the park. If you move it to out front of the turnstiles, again, same issue. I highly suspect that Disney (WDI and TDO) is grappling with this thinking now.

I highly suspect that the hat will come down about the time that the GMR finally starts it's long talked about refurb/extreme-makeover.

I think that whoever suggested putting the hat in front of the Hollywood Hills Amphitheater had a great idea. And at first, putting it where the Christmas tree goes sounded good, until you think about it further. I think putting it there is a mistake. It would be the first time that a (current) icon was outside of a park. I think that sends a muddled message.
Is it so difficult to go back to the Earful Tower?:shrug:

Coaster3001

The issue with the Chinese theater was selling merchandise with on it that got Disney into trouble. It wasn't having it as a main focus. If this whole thing with the Chinese theater not being able to be seen was true Disney would have changed it to something else years ago. It is amazing to me how much a simple rumor can turn into fact over the years.

lennonluvr9

I always considered the Earful Tower to be the landmark. When I went last year and saw the giant hat I was annoyed cuz it blocked the theater which I really enjoyed seeing from the end of the street. But I figured, "well all the other parks have a 'giant thing', maybe they thought this park needed a 'giant thing' too" I'm glad to hear there are plans to get rid of it though, I thought I was the only one!

Scooter

If they get rid of the hat, they will have to put the wand back up at Epcot.

Lord knows, some people on this board aren't happy unless they have something to whine and complain about.:lol:

krankenstein

An icon and a weenie can be two different things. Cinderella Castle is the icon of MK, but the Astro Orbitor functions as the weenie of TL. SSE is the icon of EC, but AA functions as a weenie for WS.

IMO, the Earful Tower could be the icon for DHS with the theater functioning as the weenie of Hollywood Blvd.

Captain Chaos

So my local Barnes and Noble and Books A Million Book stores have confirmed on their database that the Field Guide to Hollywood Studios has been delayed until July...2010.

I mean dang. If that is true I figured it is to go ahead and add in American Idol and possibly something...more?

July 2010??? Maybe to add in AI to the book, and Monsters Inc roller coaster??

People, I am telling you, you are missing it.. Earful Tower, Chinese Theater, ToT will not be the icon... Here is Disney-Pixar Studios icon:

luxo_jr.jpg

HMF

I just had a theory about why the DHS field guide was delayed.
First(and most obviously) if the hat is removed in the near future' the book will be outdated a year after its would-be publication date.(That happened with the Epcot one.)
Second-there may be new attractions coming to Pixar Place within the next year. (unlikely but possible.)
BTW' would anyone like to see the Red Car Trolley system (soon coming to DCA) installed at DHS?

Magicot

First of all, the icon of the park does not have to be in its center. Spaceship Earth certainly isn't. I think the belief that each park needs a massive icon in the middle to walk up to is kind of "walmarting" and homogenizing the parks. What's wrong with a different layout??

And as far as repositioning the hat in front of the Hollywood Hills Amphitheater. I can't imagine how bad that would look in the same area as ToT. Talk about killing the theme. :brick:

jt04

No, not at all, but there are much bigger problems than a park icon which really doesn't even look all that bad, especially at night. Yes, it blocks the view of the Chinese Theater, but oh well.

It's about more than the fact it totally messes up the views. It's a symptom of bigger problems from the past and it's removal can get people (management especially) back to being focused on what really makes Disney parks special. The last sentence of your post speaks volumes to put it mildly.

SirGoofy

And where has that way of thinking gotten us?

The way of thinking honestly has nothing to do with it. It's the management in charge.

As for WDI' I will always side with them over management but they are not guiltless. Tony Baxter should be in charge.

Honestly, you are incredibly naive. Do I think WDI is stifled by management? Yes, but WDI can be given free reign. You need to realize that.

CThaddeus

I have but one thing to say about this. In the immortal words of Jean-Luc Picard, "Make it so, Number One!"
Long may that tacky blue traffic cone rot!
Okay, so I had two things to say...

DisneyAndRedSox

The hat doesn't bother me. I really wish they would focus effort on moving or removing Leave a Legacy in front of SSE first! I know some people love it, but I am one of those that can't stand the looks of it! :hurl:

Yes, I am typically a lurker here but finally had to comment!

whylightbulb

BTW' What has Jacobson done that is any good. Look at his resume'
Pirates of the Caribbean 2006 "Enhancements". The Hat. The Wand. Spaceship Earth 07 I will give him the Haunted Mansion Enhancements and Rock&Roller Coaster but what else did he do that was any good? He's Fitzgeralds pupil.
I have personally worked with Eric and I can tell you he is one of the better ones. He was a senior show designer and producer on Great Movie Ride as well as Muppetvision. I know both of those attractions are now outdated but they were certainly first-class attractions at the time of their opening.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom