Is the clock ticking on the Sorcerer Mickey Hat icon at the Studios? YES!

Wasn't the hat built so people couldn't photograph the front of the chinese theatre for copyright laws or something? Or did I just imagine hearing this? lol So what would they put there so people wouldn't photograph the theatre?

EPCOT Explorer

Wasn't the hat built so people couldn't photograph the front of the chinese theatre for copyright laws or something? Or did I just imagine hearing this? lol So what would they put there so people wouldn't photograph the theatre?

No, that's as just a big falsehood as the Sinkhole being the demise of Horizons. It's just a fan made rumor.:wave:

krankenstein

The Studio Gate design really only applied when the park first opened.

The archway was originally the delineation between the "theme park" and the "working studio". So everything in the Hollywood Blvd and Echo Lake areas was theme park. Past the archway was Animation and the Studio Tram Tour. Even when they opened Star Tours this format still held. (Because you couldn't go beyond Star Tours)

The delineation was thrown out of whack when they opened up New York Street to foot traffic to help ease crowds in the small park, and even more-so when they added the Muppets area.

-Rob

To be fair, they do have little guard shacks setup at the entrance to Commissary Lane and besides Sound Dangerous before you get to Star Tours.

Here is a picture of the one at Commissary Lane:

DSCN0595.jpg

lazyboy97o

But then shouldnt they have another portal on the left side going towards Indy and Star Tours :confused:
The portal is the main entry way that separated the true theme park from the true production facilities. As krankenstein points out, there are guard stations that separate the areas that were the "real working sets" (theme park areas pretending to be real production areas) from the theme parks. Its become an even bigger mess because almost all of the park has taken on the "real working set" persona.

devjohnson

They should completely get rid of the hat and make the Earful Tower the icon. Now some of you ask, how will it be seen? Well, they should move it behind Fantasmic/Hollywood Blvd. Another good spot would be by Indiana Jones/Echo Lake.

3509538464_bba9615836.jpg

3509538142_0fd86aa509.jpg

lazyboy97o

The problem with just moving the Earful Tower is that its presence is intrinsically linked to the production facilities. Studios had water towers incase the sets caught fire and they have become a part of the image of old Hollywood studios.

Walt Disney Studios Park has the Earffel Tower in the front of the park because the whole thing is "a real working studio".

pj8788

Hat Rumor

I use to be a CP when it was MGM and I still keep in contact with a lot of the managers there, all of them so far have said from what they heard they are taking down the hat and that they want to return wdw to its "previous look" before they go forward with a bunch of new rides

PhilharMagician

The Studio Gate design really only applied when the park first opened.

The archway was originally the delineation between the "theme park" and the "working studio". So everything in the Hollywood Blvd and Echo Lake areas was theme park. Past the archway was Animation and the Studio Tram Tour. Even when they opened Star Tours this format still held. (Because you couldn't go beyond Star Tours)

The delineation was thrown out of whack when they opened up New York Street to foot traffic to help ease crowds in the small park, and even more-so when they added the Muppets area.

-Rob

Ahh I just had a flashback of being on the backlot tour tram and going down the Steets of New York. Of course we went around the back and they explained the false sets. The great days of the real studio tour! :D

jmuboy

To be fair, they do have little guard shacks setup at the entrance to Commissary Lane and besides Sound Dangerous before you get to Star Tours.

Here is a picture of the one at Commissary Lane:

DSCN0595.jpg

There is another one of these faux studio gates near the Backlot Express / Indy Stadium area (my memory fails me on the exact location at the moment). As far as I know it is still there. I'm sure someone here can help me out with this.

RiversideBunny

I suspect that another reason that they want to remove the hat is because where it is now takes up what would be open space for performances and shows.
Also the DHS Christmas tree used to be there in Decembers.

It's taking up valuable space and not providing any benefit in return.

:)

krankenstein

There is another one of these faux studio gates near the Backlot Express / Indy Stadium area (my memory fails me on the exact location at the moment). As far as I know it is still there. I'm sure someone here can help me out with this.

Yeah, it is right beside Sounds Dangerous like I said. :wave: :)

Vernonpush

I suspect that another reason that they want to remove the hat is because where it is now takes up what would be open space for performances and shows.
Also the DHS Christmas tree used to be there in Decembers.

It's taking up valuable space and not providing any benefit in return.

:)

Except for all that $$$ they are making from PIN sales. :lookaroun
:shrug:

:lol:

jakeman

They have one in front of Once Upon A Toy.

However, they are (in some cases) cheap enough to be impulse buys and take up very little room for how much they cost, so it is no surprise they are everywhere.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom