Is the clock ticking on the Sorcerer Mickey Hat icon at the Studios? YES!

jakeman

Dang, I thought Tinkerbell would sprinkle pixie dust on it and fly it to it's new location like in PhilarMagic.... :lookaroun :lol:
Yeah rereading that, it was a little more snarky than I had intended.

Still the point remains, it's not exactly on wheels!

Pirate665

Originally Posted by HMF
So in the future they will reach a new contract with MGM?

I wouldn't think so anytime in the near future. Seeing as how Comcast owns 20% of MGM and that is some bad blood there...

Interesting Note:

Here's the current ownership of MGM:

Ownership
PROVIDENCE EQUITY PARTNERS (29%)
TPG (21%)
COMCAST (20%)
SONY CORPORATION OF AMERICA (20%)
DLJ MERCHANT BANKING PARTNERS (7%)
QUADRANGLE GROUP (3%)

http://mgm.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=52

As a personal note, I absolutely hate that hat. It really makes the park look well.... tacky. I mean, the Icon is the Water Tower. The entrance focus (after the Crossroads, of course) should be and is the Chinese Theater.

>Steve

PhilharMagician

Great work to the Photoshoppers.

The water tower would be so out of place sitting in front. It is just not where one belongs.

If the hat were scaled down a bit I really like the location above the security area.

Thanks for the pic Expo_Seeker!! :wave: That is the amazing view that I really miss.

RiversideBunny

Can it be moved without crumbling?

How exactly is the Hat constructed?
Would it crack and crumble if it were to be moved with a crane and just lifted up?

Seems like it was constructed in place using rebar and concrete, or something like that, and such contruction may not allow it to be moved as a whole without damage.

Say if they wanted to move the Hat to just outside the park entrance, could that actually be done? Or would they have to tear it down and rebuild?

Tks.
:)

lazyboy97o

No matter were it was moved, most of you would be complaining about that location also.

People get over it!
I am already complaining about other locations. That's why I am throwing together these images showing how it would look elsewhere.

So I don't think anyone has pointed this out, but with regard to the scale, you know it can't just be picked up and moved right?

If they were going to move it, I wouldn't see a problem with them scaling it down to fit where ever it ends up.
I am not entirely sure what you mean.

In my images I have tried to provide an accurate account of what the current Hat would look like in a different location. With how quickly they were done, I will guarantee any sort of accuracy, but I did seek to establish the proper perspective.

The Hat, if moved, would still be the same size and dimensions. To tear down the existing one and build a smaller duplicate would be a massive waste of money.

RiversideBunny

.....In my images I have tried to provide an accurate account of what the current Hat would look like in a different location. ....

Could you pse do one with the Hat located outside the park entrance, over to the right, as you face the entrance to the park?

That seems like the most logical place to relocate it because there is a lot of room there and it could serve as the icon for the park entrance.

Tks.
:king:

PhilharMagician

How exactly is the Hat constructed?
Would it crack and crumble if it were to be moved with a crane and just lifted up?

Seems like it was constructed in place using rebar and concrete, or something like that, and such contruction may not allow it to be moved as a whole without damage.

Say if they wanted to move the Hat to just outside the park entrance, could that actually be done? Or would they have to tear it down and rebuild?

Tks.

It is structural steel with a skin. Not concrete

jakeman

I am not entirely sure what you mean.

In my images I have tried to provide an accurate account of what the current Hat would look like in a different location. With how quickly they were done, I will guarantee any sort of accuracy, but I did seek to establish the proper perspective.

The Hat, if moved, would still be the same size and dimensions. To tear down the existing one and build a smaller duplicate would be a massive waste of money.
Can the hat be simply disassembled and then put back together?

We are talking about moving a 12 story structure. Is this even possible without basically destroying it and rebuilding it?

RAXIP

We are talking about moving a 12 story structure. Is this even possible without basically destroying it and rebuilding it?

The Statue of Liberty used to be in Paris. It was moved across an entire ocean.

Statue%20of%20Liberty%20in%20Paris%201886.jpg

lazyboy97o

Could you pse do one with the Hat located outside the park entrance, over to the right, as you face the entrance to the park?

That seems like the most logical place to relocate it because there is a lot of room there and it could serve as the icon for the park entrance.

Tks.
:king:
There really is not a lot of room off to the side of that main axis. You would be placinging it either right next to the Theatre of the Stars or on top of the tram area.

jakeman said:

Can it? Absolutely. Is it worth the expense? Probably not.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member

I have seen some pretty large things moved and I will weigh in as a possible maybe. It will all come down to the way it was constructed. If the primary form of connection are nuts and bolts then partially disassembling it and moving it is a possibility. However, if it is a welded together structure it will complicate matters considerably and drive up the cost. It could still be done but the cost in moving and reassembly might be greater than demolish and start from scratch especially if they build it smaller.

True, but it is doubtful that you could do the same thing in reverse. While it is quite common for structures to be designed to be prefabricated elsewhere and assembled on site the reverse is rarely possible and almost never practical.

jakeman

Can it? Absolutely. Is it worth the expense? Probably not.
Yeah, I think that is my point. It's how they want to waste money (if they even will). Move it or rebuild it?

I think there would be much more options for them if they decided to rebuild it.

EPCOT Explorer

I bet that the tower would look better leaving the park if it was night time and it had fiber-optics and strobes coming out of it just after F!...
Lighting is essential...

Everywhere. *coughEPCOTcough*
Correct, that portal at the Animation Courtyard was original designed to serve as the studio gates.

When I hear people say using the entrance to the Hollywood Hills Amphitheater as a new location, I am assuming they mean the plaza right above the amphitheater.

Let us not forget that the Hat is 122' tall. That makes it 61% the height of the Hollywood Tower Hotel. The amphitheater entry plaza is uphill from the base of and almost directly behind the Tower

F-1.png

F-2.png

F-3.png

And worst of all...
F-4.png

Hmmm...Good point. But why does it need to be moved,anyway? Just re brand without it.

Statue%20of%20Liberty%20in%20Paris%201886.jpg
:sohappy::sohappy:

imagineer boy

The water tower would be so out of place sitting in front. It is just not where one belongs.

But where else can it go? It can't really be seen from inside the park except on the studio tour in its current place. I don't think it would complement the GMR very well if it was put at the center of the park somewhere. The only logical place really is the enterance. :shrug:

When I hear people say using the entrance to the Hollywood Hills Amphitheater as a new location, I am assuming they mean the plaza right above the amphitheater.

Let us not forget that the Hat is 122' tall. That makes it 61% the height of the Hollywood Tower Hotel. The amphitheater entry plaza is uphill from the base of and almost directly behind the Tower

F-1.png

F-2.png

F-3.png

And worst of all...
F-4.png

:hurl: I had no clue! Now I think they should just get rid of the thing!

elisatonks

not at all suprised by the possibility of the hat moving or going completly, there were rumours about this happening whilst i was on college program last year, some saying its going completly whilst i have also heard rumor of it going in the lake outside the park or on the entrance plaza, and one person even said they could see it being moved to downtown disney.

RiversideBunny

Actually, isn't the footprint of the Hat not so large- it's just that the Hat is tall.
The footprint is about the size of an open air pin station plus a little.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom