Is the clock ticking on the Sorcerer Mickey Hat icon at the Studios? YES!

3WaltFans

No the Hat itself IS the problem... It clashes with the Hollywood theme. There is absolutely no reason why it is still there except for marketing. Imagineers want it gone as well, and I could care less what is under it it just ruins the themeing and the view of the Chinese Theater period.

It clashes with the Hollywood theme? What? It's what Hollywood is, big, bold, outrageous!

Do you know some Imagineers personally? I assume they are the one's who also put it there.

What make the Chinese theater so good? It's a boring front and nothing to get excited about.

EPCOT Explorer

No the Hat itself IS the problem... It clashes with the Hollywood theme. There is absolutely no reason why it is still there except for marketing. Imagineers want it gone as well, and I could care less what is under it it just ruins the themeing and the view of the Chinese Theater period.

It clashes with the Hollywood theme? What? It's what Hollywood is, big, bold, outrageous!

Do you know some Imagineers personally? I assume they are the one's who also put it there.

What make the Chinese theater so good? It's a boring front and nothing to get excited about.
And said it might be going away.:wave:

HMF

So everything has to have Mickeys hand on it or its boring?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member

(I think you forgot to quote the original post)

a)The Hollywood theme of the 30's, which is all of Hollywood Blvd.

b)Yes

c)Riiiggghhht.... you ever looked at the attention to detail on the facade? It`s pure imagineering magic, on a par with the queue of E:E. The Soarin' show building is boring. The Chinese Theatre is not.

DisneyMusician2

So everything has to have Mickeys hand on it or its boring?
Clearly to the unimaginative.

And the Chinese Theatre is pure old style Hollywood. And is the perfect backdrop to a park that is movie-themed.

Fiberglass Hat that sells overpriced knicknacks? I think even the imagineers could admit their mistake on this one.

Rob562

Fiberglass Hat that sells overpriced knicknacks? I think even the imagineers could admit their mistake on this one.

Sometimes WDI is forced to do the things that the park management, marketing department or upper-echelon of corporate management tell them to do... There's no such thing as a "conscientious objector" in the Disney corporate world.

-Rob

RSoxNo1

The Carthay Circle Theater is supposed to be the new symbol of DCA when all is said and done, can the park legally have the Chinese Theater as it's logo?

HMF

The Carthay Circle Theater is supposed to be the new symbol of DCA when all is said and done, can the park legally have the Chinese Theater as it's logo?
No' The Carthay Circle was torn down years ago so it can legally be the symbol of DCA.

Expo_Seeker40

I don't see what the confusion is? :shrug: :confused: :eek: :zipit: :brick: :dazzle:

The Chinese Theatre was never the park's icon, is not the park's icon, never will be the park's icon. It was never the park's sole logo, nor represented the park, with the exception of late 80s, early 90s marketing that featured the facade, but almost always offered text to go along with it explaining what it was, what was inside it, and how it was part of the idealised Hollywood that never was, but always will be.

The Earffel/Earful? :shrug: Tower was the original symbol of the park, made sense, as it not only was based on the water tower at the original Disney Studios (with the exception of the mickey ears), the water tower was also significant to represent the water towers that dominated the skylines of various big hollywood companys' lots in the 30s and 40s.

The watertower was positioned not only in the production center (where it was always meant to be), but also placed in such a way that it was close to World Drive...where it basically "advertised" the new Disney-MGM Studios in the late 80s and early 90s.

The Chinese Theatre is the park's weewee :lookaroun

You're supposed to be drawn crazy churro fiend style to it :lol:

The hat represents one movie, from a whole line of hollywood films. The hat itself isn't the problem, but it would do far better either in the animation courtyard, at downtown disney, etc.

As for the water tower....there's no reason why it can't be taken down and moved to the big circular planter at the park's entrance where the x-mas tree usually goes. Then all they have to do is add some archways around it...universal studios style...well maybe not that close...but still... to make it look like ur entering the studios lot. It would be seen from guests parking and taking the tram to the ticket booths, and for guests taking the friendship boats.

Or, if Pixar Place expands further, the water tower could still be the park's symbol, but serve between past and future....one side would be the more classic side of the park, and the future/what's happening next pixar side of the park.

EPCOT Explorer

I don't see what the confusion is? :shrug: :confused: :eek: :zipit: :brick: :dazzle:

The Chinese Theatre was never the park's icon, is not the park's icon, never will be the park's icon. It was never the park's sole logo, nor represented the park, with the exception of late 80s, early 90s marketing that featured the facade, but almost always offered text to go along with it explaining what it was, what was inside it, and how it was part of the idealised Hollywood that never was, but always will be.

The Earffel/Earful? :shrug: Tower was the original symbol of the park, made sense, as it not only was based on the water tower at the original Disney Studios (with the exception of the mickey ears), the water tower was also significant to represent the water towers that dominated the skylines of various big hollywood companys' lots in the 30s and 40s.

The watertower was positioned not only in the production center (where it was always meant to be), but also placed in such a way that it was close to World Drive...where it basically "advertised" the new Disney-MGM Studios in the late 80s and early 90s.

The Chinese Theatre is the park's weewee :lookaroun

You're supposed to be drawn crazy churro fiend style to it :lol:

The hat represents one movie, from a whole line of hollywood films. The hat itself isn't the problem, but it would do far better either in the animation courtyard, at downtown disney, etc.

As for the water tower....there's no reason why it can't be taken down and moved to the big circular planter at the park's entrance where the x-mas tree usually goes. Then all they have to do is add some archways around it...universal studios style...well maybe not that close...but still... to make it look like ur entering the studios lot. It would be seen from guests parking and taking the tram to the ticket booths, and for guests taking the friendship boats.

Or, if Pixar Place expands further, the water tower could still be the park's symbol, but serve between past and future....one side would be the more classic side of the park, and the future/what's happening next pixar side of the park.

Excellent ideas, as usual, Expo. Never thought of moving the Water Tower...

Expo_Seeker40

Here's what I was talking about: a revised entrance with a new security booth area...a water feature and some rows of flowers infront of and around the water tower....art deco arches welcoming visitors from the tram/parkinglot and then another series of arches for guests using the friendshipboats.

2q02f7l.jpg

HMF

Here's what I was talking about: a revised entrance with a new security booth area...a water feature and some rows of flowers infront of and around the water tower....art deco arches welcoming visitors from the tram/parkinglot and then another series of arches for guests using the friendshipboats.

2q02f7l.jpg
Someone proposed the same thing a few years ago but with the Hat. The Tower would be easier to move though.

Animaniac93-98

Sorry. Chinese Theatre IS the icon. Don't like it, tough nuts...It's the Castle of Hollywood Blvd.'s Main Street.

Um, no it wasn't. Remember the 4 park logo thing?

siteicon.gif

It's true the theatre is the castle of the Hollywood equivalent to Main Street but it was never the entire park's logo.

Someone proposed the same thing a few years ago but with the Hat. The Tower would be easier to move though.

And it would look better too.

EPCOT Explorer

Yes. Yes it was. Just because the advertiser's and Marketing never liked it, doesn't mean it's not the true icon.

Whatever, you want to say Gertie is the "icon" of Studios, I can't say anything to stop you.

It's the weenie of the park?:lookaroun:lol:

Gertie...That sounds familiar. Care to refresh my memory?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom