Is Mystic Manor coming to Disney's Hollywood Studios?

Nmoody1

Good point...They might be testing the possibilities. Just thought that the rumor would make this a true full day theme park destination.

Adding Mystic Manor doesn't make a pqrkna true 'full day destination'. As amazing as Mystic Manor is, it doesn't make HKDL a full day destination. What makes a full day destination would be several rides. And Mystic Manor, as appealing as it is for fanboi's and girls, does not fit in with the studios theme. However loose that theme is.

Same as it doesn't fit into Animal Kingdom as every armchair Imagineer seems to want it to.

It's not their answer to Haunted Mansion - it's a house that comes to life with a magic music box. There will probably never be a Haunted Mansion in a Chinese park, given the cultures views and superstition around ghosts and the dead. The only similarities are that it's a dark ride and it's in a house (not a haunted house!)

Whilst the ride is fantastic - and I really do love it, aside from building a Mystic Point, there isn't many places the ride would fit... Certainly not just for the sake of it.

I whole heartedly agree a similar format featuring figment amd dreamfinder could be a great ride.

Let's let HK keep Mystic Manor - they deserve a little something to call their own!

HMF

It's not their answer to Haunted Mansion - it's a house that comes to life with a magic music box. There will probably never be a Haunted Mansion in a Chinese park, given the cultures views and superstition around ghosts and the dead. The only similarities are that it's a dark ride and it's in a house (not a haunted house!)
As far as Disney is concerned it is HK's answer to The Haunted Mansion. It even gets it's own section in the 3rd edition of Jason Surrell's Haunted Mansion book.

JTravis58

From where precisely are you hearing these rumours? Having read this thread, I can now say that I too "am hearing rumours".

Unless you are hearing these rumblings from a credible source, this thread really belongs in another forum.
Looks like the Bob Saget brigade is crucifying someone for the second day in a row now. First the person who admitted they did something stupid in their 20's, and now this member who shared an interesting rumor which may have some fact to it. Please give the hammer and nails some rest. As for the original rumor regarding Mystic Manor, it will most likely be the same track design to replace GMR, but not the same story or theme. If anything at all.

mouse_luv

Just FYI. Mystic Manor was the HKDL version to the HM. It's just the Imagineers had to respect Chinese culture in not having any references to the afterlife or the departed spirits like traditional HM. There are a few references to the original HM in there though such as the Medusa portrait, moving busts and having a conservatory.

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
Looks like the Bob Saget brigade is crucifying someone for the second day in a row now. First the person who admitted they did something stupid in their 20's, and now this member who shared an interesting rumor which may have some fact to it. Please give the hammer and nails some rest. As for the original rumor regarding Mystic Manor, it will most likely be the same track design to replace GMR, but not the same story or theme. If anything at all.
My bad. Asked for a source. New guy tells me to zip it. Yup, must be March Break.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

How exactly is asking for sources "crucifying" someone? People show up here all the time with new rumors some of which might be legit, others have no credibility what so ever. Nothing wrong with try to vet a new source.,

NelsonRD

Mystic Manor is in Hong Kong. Fact.
Mystic Manor is newer than HM in the MK. Fact.
Mystic Manor is different from HM in the MK. Fact.
Mystic Manor is better than HM in the MK. OPINION. A clear value judgement. NOT quantifiable.

Better animatronics - fact.
Better ride system - fact.
Better effects - fact.

Maybe suggesting it is better is an opinion, but you can relax on the caps over it.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Better animatronics - fact.
Better ride system - fact.
Better effects - fact.

Maybe suggesting it is better is an opinion, but you can relax on the caps over it.
Well, you just seemed confused between fact and opinion. I just wanted to help you see the light.

BrianLo

Mystic Manor was designed to fill the menu gap in HKDL left by Haunted Mansion, much in the same way Grizzly Gulch fills in for Bug Thunder.

The difference is Mystic Manor could in theory happily exist beside Haunted Mansion without seeming remotely redundant. It's truly a completely different attraction, even if the spark of the idea arose from 'we need a haunted mansion, without ghosts'.

All very subjective. But yes I think Mystic Manor is a better attraction than Haunted Mansion. It has the cheating benefit of decades of tech improvements. PoTC in Shanghai is better than the original too. Yes I'm blasphemous, but I've also been quite fortunate to experience them. Florida is missing a modern day attraction with all the heart of the true mega dark ride classics. I hold out hope one is still in store... just an original and not a lazy thievery from another park.

HMF

All very subjective. But yes I think Mystic Manor is a better attraction than Haunted Mansion. It has the cheating benefit of decades of tech improvements. PoTC in Shanghai is better than the original too. Yes I'm blasphemous, but I've also been quite fortunate to experience them. Florida is missing a modern day attraction with all the heart of the true mega dark ride classics. I hold out hope one is still in store... just an original and not a lazy thievery from another park.
I would argue that the less tech-heavy rides are better. The charm of the Haunted Mansion is because of how simple the technology is yet is still very effective.

I think a movie ride celebrating Disney movies would be awesome. I would love to see The history of Disney movies laid out. Mickey and the gang, Snow White, Pinocchio etc. love bug, Kurt Russell era etc. This seems a natural for a studios themed park.

jaxonp

Mystic Manor was designed to fill the menu gap in HKDL left by Haunted Mansion, much in the same way Grizzly Gulch fills in for Bug Thunder.

The difference is Mystic Manor could in theory happily exist beside Haunted Mansion without seeming remotely redundant. It's truly a completely different attraction, even if the spark of the idea arose from 'we need a haunted mansion, without ghosts'.

Mystic Manor and Haunted Mansion can exist if Toy Story Midway Mania and Buzz Lightyear Ranger Spin can exist. At least the former two don't come from the same IP.

WDW1974

Just FYI. Mystic Manor was the HKDL version to the HM. It's just the Imagineers had to respect Chinese culture in not having any references to the afterlife or the departed spirits like traditional HM. There are a few references to the original HM in there though such as the Medusa portrait, moving busts and having a conservatory.

The Chinese culture part is fanboi/CM/Internet myth ... totally and almost completely.

The original 1999 plans for the park included a version of the Mansion with DL's Southern look that would have largely been a copy. It was chopped for budgetary reasons early on. It was then considered as a Phase II attraction and was going to keep the facade and go with a different storyline that focused on voodoo to better fit the jungle area it was to be placed in.

MM then was created and took its place and has a few little nods to the original.

MM IS HKDL's Mansion as far as Disney views it. Disney has no intentions of bringing this attraction to any existing park. I don't know why this is so hard for fans to wrap their heads around but WDW isn't getting a 'second' Mansion/Manor attraction. It isn't.

NelsonRD

Please stop making yourself look stupid. Any time you use the word 'better' it is not a fact.

Are you just being confrontational? There are elements of Mystic Manor that are better than other attractions, that is a fact.
I was just suggesting that is is one of the best, and the flagship park in Florida should have an attraction that rates in that category.

Everybody can calm down now, Mystic Manor is a great ride, sorry I think its 'better' than some other attractions.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom