Rumor Is Indiana Jones Planning an Adventure to Disney's Animal Kingdom?

HMF

Oh yeah, since I forgot to add it earlier... Hm, if it's true that Disney, rather than wanting to up the ante on their animal care, wishes to instead ditch live animals as much as they can... that's disappointing. One of the best things about AK IS the animals. Very few zoos have such extravagant, wonderful themeing. I know Disney has for years been trying to dispel the idea it's a zoo (why, I don't know, just emphasize the rides and other non-animal attractions), but I don't think ditching the animals is the way to go.
Well considering what happened to Ringling Brothers. It appears that any for-profit enterprise concerning animals is on it,s way out.

BrianLo

Rather than losing my bananas, as is the standard response these days - I'll await seeing what the actual idea is. If they are given a ton of creative control and base a land around a general continent using Indy as a vehicle for some thematically appropriate messaging for the park, I'll look forward to it. If they lift Raging Spirits and IJA, I'll be critical.

Since literally no one has told us what this consists of, let's try not to collectively blow a gasket. I'm very happy with how Pandora turned out when they were given more freedom than a paint by numbers recreate a movie plot-line mandate. Disney has been a bit more willing to let WDI do that as both Pandora and SW:GE attest.

There is potential here... both of the good and bad variety.

mhaftman7

Ugh. Some people are unbearable. I'm not pointing to anyone in particular but come on. What start off as a thread about a rumor, not a fact, a rumor, granted provided by a notable source, but a rumor nonetheless, has turned into a whine and complain. I can't even get past the second page. For all you Disney purists that refuse change but accept expansion, get over yourselves. You know NOTHING about the specifics of ANYTHING that MAY or MAY NOT happen. Disney is in the entertainment business. They've done a pretty decent job of that for the best part of a half century. I have a feeling they know what they're doing. I've stated it in other threads and I'll put in here also. If you are this upset about changes, the simple answer is don't go. You will, you'll enjoy the new attraction that completely and utterly trashed at the concept point which you were completely wrong about what was going to be done and you'll miss your old favorites that were removed to make room for potentially a new favorite. Stop worrying about what might happen. Stop trying to oppose change that you cannot stop. It's going to happen whether you like it or not.

/rant

Kman101

Rather than losing my bananas, as is the standard response these days - I'll await seeing what the actual idea is. If they are given a ton of creative control and base a land around a general continent using Indy as a vehicle for some thematically appropriate messaging for the park, I'll look forward to it. If they lift Raging Spirits and IJA, I'll be critical.

Since literally no one has told us what this consists of, let's try not to collectively blow a gasket. I'm very happy with how Pandora turned out when they were given more freedom than a paint by numbers recreate a movie plot-line mandate. Disney has been a bit more willing to let WDI do that as both Pandora and SW:GE attest.

There is potential here... both of the good and bad variety.

This is where I'm at. No need to get worked up. Sounds like they have a few Indy plans on the table and a few different ideas for Chester and Hester's area.

PorterRedkey

But I keep seeing people say the track layout is the same for Dinosaur and Indy in California, I've ridden both and outside of the ride vehicles I don't see any similarity in the track design. On the Indy ride you have this huge open space where you cross the bridge and drive over the other vehicles, where is this room/space in Dinosaur? I know Dino is dark but something like that room would stand out IMO.

Side by side layout of INDY and Dinosaur (formally CTX) from @marni1971
Indy and Dinosaur side by side.jpg

beertiki

As someone who worked in animal care at an aquarium, I can tell you that the opinions of most people have changed regarding animals in captivity. Most animals in captivity live horrible lives. I remember telling myself that the education and hopes that the younger generations will protect them in their natural habitats is worth the cost that these animals must bear. It isn't, too many zoos and aquariums are stick in a vicious cycle of death and replacement. While some animals can live decent lives and reproduce in captivity, the decisions on what animals to keep and have on display are made based on ticket sales, not science and the opinions of those in charge of animal husbandry. I think many people, including Disney guests, see animals in captivity negatively. With cameras and phones everywhere, photos of sick, injured, and dead animals can make for some very bad press. I would hope and expect that Disney will drastically reduce the number of animals that are cared for and focus only on species that are suited for life in captivity.

WDWFREAK53

What's better...Indy or Dinosaur? Most would say Indy...and I'd have to agree.
That being said, considering it's basically the same layout, it's not the "ride" that's better...it's the experience. Disney could take the existing Dinosaur and plus it to make it truly incredible. Utilizing new technology, background screens, maybe even augmented reality. You don't need to make it "Indy" because it's more popular...why not try to outdo yourself and make Dinosaur BETTER?

Kman101

As someone who worked in animal care at an aquarium, I can tell you that the opinions of most people have changed regarding animals in captivity. Most animals in captivity live horrible lives. I remember telling myself that the education and hopes that the younger generations will protect them in their natural habitats is worth the cost that these animals must bear. It isn't, too many zoos and aquariums are stick in a vicious cycle of death and replacement. While some animals can live decent lives and reproduce in captivity, the decisions on what animals to keep and have on display are made based on ticket sales, not science and the opinions of those in charge of animal husbandry. I think many people, including Disney guests, see animals in captivity negatively. With cameras and phones everywhere, photos of sick, injured, and dead animals can make for some very bad press. I would hope and expect that Disney will drastically reduce the number of animals that are cared for and focus only on species that are suited for life in captivity.

Disney takes a lot better care of them, and they have a lot more room to be in more natural environments than a zoo. But I get what you're saying.

rle4lunch

That being said, considering it's basically the same layout, it's not the "ride" that's better...it's the experience. Disney could take the existing Dinosaur and plus it to make it truly incredible. Utilizing new technology, background screens, maybe even augmented reality. You don't need to make it "Indy" because it's more popular...why not try to outdo yourself and make Dinosaur BETTER?

too much logic in this post.

beertiki

Disney takes a lot better care of them, and they have a lot more room to be in more natural environments than a zoo. But I get what you're saying.

How do you know that? Do you see what happens when an animal is sick or injured? Any idea how many have died and been replaced? Any idea how many died in quarantine or shipment before even making on display? Unless you really know, it's all just speculation.

Kman101

How do you know that? Do you see what happens when an animal is sick or injured? Any idea how many have died and been replaced? Any idea how many died in quarantine or shipment before even making on display? Unless you really know, it's all just speculation.

Do you know what Disney does then? It's clear to me the animals are better cared for. This isn't the thread for this though. You have your feelings on it and I respect that but like you said, it's speculation. You don't know that they aren't better cared for. This isn't a local zoo or even SeaWorld. You ignore the fact that many animals do get great care, they're not all in places where they're abused or forced to perform.

peter11435

I've seen them perform surgery on an animal that was injured after being kicked by another animal as well perform surgery to remove an item lodged in the throat of a non collection bird. So I know they do take care of injured animals when possible.

Obviously animals die and are replaced. Animals die in the wild too.

I've also gotten a tour of the animal nutrition center and have seen first hand that they are fed better than we are.

beertiki

Somewhere behind the scenes at DAK, you will find a mort list (mortality). I would guess that it's length and the species on it would shock you. My opinions are not speculation, I was the Senior Aquarist of a municipal Aquarium, the highest level of animal care for federally permitted and protected species. I have know idea what you do, or your background, but I know what to look for when looking at an animals enclosure, and I have seen many signs of injury, stress, and disease at Disney. It is a fact in this industry, some animals do not do well in captivity.

peter11435

Somewhere behind the scenes at DAK, you will find a mort list (mortality). I would guess that it's length and the species on it would shock you. My opinions are not speculation, I was the Senior Aquarist of a municipal Aquarium, the highest level of animal care for federally permitted and protected species. I have know idea what you do, or your background, but I know what to look for when looking at an animals enclosure, and I have seen many signs of injury, stress, and disease at Disney. It is a fact in this industry, some animals do not do well in captivity.

It would not shock me that animals have died. It shouldn't shock anyone. Animals die.

You know there's injury stress and disease in the wild too right?

beertiki

It would not shock me that animals have died. It shouldn't shock anyone. Animals die.

You know there's injury stress and disease in the wild too right?

Yes, but it is natural, not caused by captivity.

To keep this back on topic, I believe that there will be a shift from many live animals in captivity to just a few at DAK, and Indy will fit in fine with these changes.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Most DID say Indy... in a recent poll, four out of five agreed Indy was superior to Dinos.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom