Rumor Is Indiana Jones Planning an Adventure to Disney's Animal Kingdom?

JSchnitz

Everyone forgets that Disney has two Dinosaur IP's! They could keep the Dinoland theme, just replace Dinorama with another kid- friendly Coaster/ride based on "The Good Dinosaur"! This way we get to keep the Dinosaur Ride intact plus the themed land and Disney gets its IP inclusion. Say all you want about it being a flop but it's a Disney owned IP that could only benefit from a little exposure in the parks.

BenJacobs

So, just as an update. No one, not one person, has come to me to confirm that this is a real thing that is being planned. This usually means one of a few things:

Either

• This project is spur of the moment, and that means it is imminent, most likely a knee-jerk response to Pandora making Animal Kingdom one-sided. Bob Chapek at his best. It would be happening so quickly that no one wants to talk about it for fear of losing their job. If this is the case, we would know very quickly, by December even, if it will happen.
  • This project is completely made up and is a product of the internet repeatedly quoting itself. That said, I feel like we'd be able to find the original rumor if that was the case, and I haven't found it yet on any site.
  • The project is a brand new proposal and so few people know about it that most "sources" really are just still in the dark. You see, each park has an options list of things that could be built or implemented in the future. These lists are prepared to show Disney executives. The executives then choose items out of the list almost like you order dinner at a restaurant. The only difference is that this "menu" has times attached on when your "dinner" will be ready. Some dinners can open a year from now, some take 5 years. The projects on these menu timelines are usually 50-80% ready to go. They have estimated budgets, they have locations in mind, and the plans are usually rock solid. If a project makes it on to one of these lists, it usually happens, but because these lists can be pretty long, we may not see what happens until 5 or even 10 years down the road. If this Indy project made it on to a list, its brand new and will take a long time to see the light of day, if it ever does.
Those are the three most likely scenarios.

Hopefully it's not just the internet repeatedly quoting itself, but right now that's just as possible as it being a legitimate project. I'll keep you informed in the future if I hear anything new, but until then, take this one with a grain of salt. (Though I'd still get my rides in on Dinosaur sooner rather than later, because anyone will be able to tell you that ride needs some TLC)

I hope it's just the internet repeating itself, adding Indy would surely be no more popular than what is ther now(at least after the 'new' sensation wears off), you would still have one ride very similar to the current main attraction(they'd have the same track for goodness sake!) and probably an off the shelf coaster(and there is already one of those). So the types of rides in the land would be exactly the same, so that's a reason for not changing, spend money for nothing more - and of course, Indy doesn't fit into Animal Kingdom anyway, and Dinosaurs do!

BenJacobs

Everyone forgets that Disney has two Dinosaur IP's! They could keep the Dinoland theme, just replace Dinorama with another kid- friendly Coaster/ride based on "The Good Dinosaur"! This way we get to keep the Dinosaur Ride intact plus the themed land and Disney gets its IP inclusion. Say all you want about it being a flop but it's a Disney owned IP that could only benefit from a little exposure in the parks.

That's a much better idea - I would prefer the addition of The Excavator, but if this keeps Dinosaur intact, and keeps the theme of Animal Kingdom intact, then I'm all for it.

britain

I hope it's just the internet repeating itself, adding Indy would surely be no more popular than what is ther now(at least after the 'new' sensation wears off), you would still have one ride very similar to the current main attraction(they'd have the same track for goodness sake!) and probably an off the shelf coaster(and there is already one of those). So the types of rides in the land would be exactly the same, so that's a reason for not changing, spend money for nothing more - and of course, Indy doesn't fit into Animal Kingdom anyway, and Dinosaurs do!

It would be at least one person more popular! :) I don't do Dinosaur anymore. And I bet I'm not alone.

HenryMystic

Both Dinosaur films were flops.

beertiki

Call me skeptical of that being our future. There's room for what, for a lack of better term, could be considered "Whole Foods Zoos". These zoos would operate at a much higher level of care and thoughtfulness than current facilites, but there will be considerably fewer of them and more expensive entry prices than most normal zoos and aquariums save DAK. That's really where the market wants the zoos to be, a place where people don't feel guilty about visiting them. That could be DAK's future if the company had courage and a unified vision and organization behind its animal conservation and education efforts.

Yes. This is the direction I see Disney headed. Less variety of animals, just the ones that really do well in captivity. Just like sea world will eventually have no marine mammals, stingrays adjust perfectly well to life in captivity and you can charge extra to have people feed and swim with them. The public also really enjoys seeing rescued animals that would not survive in the wild given a forever home and taken care of.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1489107807432.jpg
    FB_IMG_1489107807432.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 91

Dunston

What do people think the odds are of the Excavator concept from AK's planning days will be brought to the former location of DinoRama? Everest has no connected IP, yet that coaster carried AK for years before Avatar even with a big broken boy (bbb).

EDIT: They could also just stick Star Lord in there so people think it's a Jurrasic World ride

Last edited:

Suspirian

Dinosaur actually made more money then The Good Dinosaur and was the 5th highest grossing movie of 2000.

It's just that a little thing called Walking With Dinosaurs completely stole its thunder and became the most memorable piece of Dinosaur media of the turn of the century.

Do I smell a Dinosaur reboot?

JSchnitz

Outside of it being a complete addition to the park, the only reason I'd want to see Indiana Jones in AK is because of what it would probably mean for the Muppets if it were to go into Hollywood Studios....

the.dreamfinder

Dinosaurs are compelling regardless of IP because Dinosaurs are awesome.

Any plans for Dinoland USA that remove Dinosaur should just replace it with the original vision for a Dino safari that is a more efficient people eater, with a lower height requirement/less physically intense.

And this guy needs more love... and a Duffy like gang of AA Dino pals.
latest

Jedi Stitch

Well this thread went PETA.
Historically, all the videos and interviews talk about how the funding for DAK was running out and they had to choose between Dinoland and Beastly Kingdom. More interest in Dinos at the time, as well as the Disney Dinosaur movie was being IP'd so go the ride. By the looks of the land being the last land built and the funding run out they went chinchy to try to fill it. I believe they would do better in keeping the dino ride, but incorporating the indy aspect into the land. They could build an Indy ride with out knocking out the dino ride. The been counter would suggest re-purposing is cheaper. I believe the Dino Dig, the restaurant and Dino are good parts of the land, but the Carnival portion needs to be re-imagined. making that portion and adding onto the land with Indy Theaming, would bring Dino land up the level the imagineer originally had planned for this land.

MotherOfBirds

They really missed the boat when it came to prehistoric mammals. I don't know if that flume ride concept art was real or armchair, but I would have loved to see it. It would avoid any perceived Jurassic Park retreading and expand a rather lackluster corner of the park. And hey, think of the sales on mammoth and sabre tooth plushies!

BenJacobs

Wouldn't everbody be happy if they did build the Indy ride, but in Hollywood Studios or Magic Kingdom, it could become a miniland with the stunt show in Hollywood Studios, and could fit nicely between Pirates of the Caribbean and Splash Mountain.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Wouldn't everbody be happy if they did build the Indy ride, but in Hollywood Studios or Magic Kingdom, it could become a miniland with the stunt show in Hollywood Studios, and could fit nicely between Pirates of the Caribbean and Splash Mountain.
The way I see it, some people would be happier if they'd just divorce themselves from emotional attachments to antiquated and mythical Disney commitments to concepts like "Epcot" and "Animal Kingdom."

JSchnitz

If they added a Muppet Treasure Island boat ride where Star Tours is and expanded Indy in the other direction, then I'm all for it in HS!!!

RSoxNo1

If one of the Indy plans comes to light, it should have nothing to do with Rhode's trip to Bali. If anyone wants to jump on the drawing long shot conclusions train, Mystic Manor features a Balinese Music Box... (And the false speculation ensues) I think I might know the Bali-based project, but I will have to double check (it's a long shot, almost a longer one than going to Bali for Pandora).
I know he went to Jakarta for Pandora...

BenJacobs

The way I see it, some people would be happier if they'd just divorce themselves from emotional attachments to antiquated and mythical Disney commitments to concepts like "Epcot" and "Animal Kingdom."

People would certainly be happier if we kept this comment board respectable and didn't start insulting each other.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom