Rumor Is Indiana Jones Planning an Adventure to Disney's Animal Kingdom?

RSoxNo1

I know. The problem we have with Dino Land is having to pay to do the carnival games. At least they don’t bug the hell out you to play. The roller coaster always feels like you are going to fly off the rails. Pretty fun.
It looks like they could remove the area overnight just like a regular carnival
No, the problem we have with Dinorama is it looks like the best section of the worst amusement park in the world. It's aesthetically displeasing in a park that is otherwise excellent.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
No, the problem we have with Dinorama is it looks like the best section of the worst amusement park in the world. It's aesthetically displeasing in a park that is otherwise excellent.

It's ironic, isn't it, that run-down Africa and Asia is deemed to be thematic excellence but run-down Americana is deemed to be trash?

No, wait, this requires a meme...

1519538049708.png

Marc Davis Fan

It's ironic, isn't it, that run-down Africa and Asia is deemed to be thematic excellence but run-down Americana is deemed to be trash?

View attachment 266542

I think @RSoxNo1 meant just Dino-Rama, so only the carnival area.

I agree that the rest of Dinoland is very detailed and authentic, although I believe the reason it's less interesting to American audiences is that it's not physically foreign.

RSoxNo1

View attachment 266542
I remember when they opened Harambe Market I posted a similar comment, but it's absolutely true. The problem actually is that most of Dinorama isn't run down at all. It's on a facsimile parking lot, but the games and rides aren't run down, just the shop is run down. The games and rides look and feel cheap and that's the issue.

Kman101

I should point out that millions of families won't care and will be drawn immediately to Toy Story Land. Not a defense of it by any means, just the truth. It's going to be very popular. For a number of reasons (lack of things to do; Toy Story has been around for over 20 years at this point). The rides will be fun regardless of the plastic land. I don't see guests rushing to say it's the most immersed they've ever been (lol) but I think the rides will rate well and guests won't be stressing as much about this land like those of us on here.

But yes, Pandora made for a well detailed land. It's well-fitting into AK. I think it's a great addition.

Personally I'd rank TSL above Dinorama. They should absolutely be compared, but Bugs Land is like Dinorama. TSL doesn't have a spinner, bumper cars. I guess a bare coaster and the whip flat ride leave many feeling disappointed but it will hit the mark for families and I think they've done a decent job with it.

It's really interesting to see so much angst about this land when I'm so indifferent to it.

I also think there's more to Pandora than just trees that make it fit into Animal Kingdom though. But to each their own.

I know it's really hard to give credit that they did a nice job with Pandora, but they did. (Some boat ride criticism is valid and I understand a simulator, as great as it is, doesn't appeal to everyone). We all have our own preference for what we would have wanted. We all know how much they spent and I get there's resentment there. But even if I don't personally agree with something, I can still offer up they did a good job. I don't like a lot of the franchises Universal relies on but the rides are fun and I think they've done a good job. I could say I hate everything attached to something I don't personally prefer ...

Last edited:

RSoxNo1

I should point out that millions of families won't care and will be drawn immediately to Toy Story Land. Not a defense of it by any means, just the truth. It's going to be very popular. For a number of reasons (lack of things to do; Toy Story has been around for over 20 years at this point). The rides will be fun regardless of the plastic land. I don't see guests rushing to say it's the most immersed they've ever been (lol) but I think the rides will rate well and guests won't be stressing as much about this land like those of us on here.

But yes, Pandora made for a well detailed land. It's well-fitting into AK. I think it's a great addition.

Personally I'd rank TSL above Dinorama. They should absolutely be compared, but Bugs Land is like Dinorama. TSL doesn't have a spinner, bumper cars. I guess a bare coaster and the whip flat ride leave many feeling disappointed but it will hit the mark for families and I think they've done a decent job with it.

It's really interesting to see so much angst about this land when I'm so indifferent to it.
Familiarity over substance. Give me substance every time, but some people gravitate towards familiarity. The problem is Disney is catering to familiarity more and more. The two don't have to be mutually exclusive and by all accounts Toy Story Land is far from a disaster, but the Toy Story Lands around the world are at the bottom of any list of movie inspired themed environments.

Kman101

Familiarity over substance. Give me substance every time, but some people gravitate towards familiarity. The problem is Disney is catering to familiarity more and more. The two don't have to be mutually exclusive and by all accounts Toy Story Land is far from a disaster, but the Toy Story Lands around the world are at the bottom of any list of movie inspired themed environments.

Exactly, all I was saying (and I agree with you I would rather have substance every time, I spend too much time thinking about how great the parks could be and we share a lot of similar ideas) was that it's familiarty. It was the "safe" choice. It's not damaging to me like some want to claim. But I understand why it's viewed as sub-par. I guess the rides elevate it just slightly above the other TSL lands and Dinorama for me. But I do think flat rides/whip rides have their place too, even if they aren't my personal choice. And I think they did a clever job this time, at least we aren't getting an exact clone of the rides from Paris and Hong Kong. THAT would be embarrassing. But I guess I get people view it all the same. It's not the most appealing to me, I've never said to myself "I want to go into Andy's backyard" lol but I just can't bring myself to be outraged. If Star Wars and Mickey weren't around the corner, sure, this expansion would suck. Unfortunately still we need more than three new amazing e-tickets, a flat ride and a family coaster, but it's a good start.

RSoxNo1

Exactly, all I was saying (and I agree with you I would rather have substance every time, I spend too much time thinking about how great the parks could be and we share a lot of similar ideas) was that it's familiarty. It was the "safe" choice. It's not damaging to me like some want to claim. But I understand why it's viewed as sub-par. I guess the rides elevate it just slightly above the other TSL lands and Dinorama for me. But I do think flat rides/whip rides have their place too, even if they aren't my personal choice. And I think they did a clever job this time, at least we aren't getting an exact clone of the rides from Paris and Hong Kong. THAT would be embarrassing. But I guess I get people view it all the same. It's not the most appealing to me, I've never said to myself "I want to go into Andy's backyard" lol but I just can't bring myself to be outraged. If Star Wars and Mickey weren't around the corner, sure, this expansion would suck. Unfortunately still we need more than three new amazing e-tickets, a flat ride and a family coaster, but it's a good start.
Don't get me wrong, Hollywood Studios and all of the parks need balance in their ride lineup. DHS is top heavy with their ride lineup (meaning all E-tickets and solid D-tickets). Adding in a B ticket like Alien Swirling Saucers and a C/D like Slinky Dog isn't necessarily a bad thing, they just wouldn't have been my choice for a land.

Kman101

That’s an understatement. It’s called Toy Story. It’s "in Disney". So it must be good.

Look at the lines for a 46 year old omnimover with broken effects and peeling UV paint.

Yep.

I don't like it but I can't see this land not being a "winner" and I don't know if I like that, it does set a lower bar. But I also don't totally hate the land either. LOL. Oh well. I guess it's here, and it is what it is. Maybe in 30 years we'll see something new (give or take a decade, because, you know, TDO)

Kman101

Don't get me wrong, Hollywood Studios and all of the parks need balance in their ride lineup. DHS is top heavy with their ride lineup (meaning all E-tickets and solid D-tickets). Adding in a B ticket like Alien Swirling Saucers and a C/D like Slinky Dog isn't necessarily a bad thing, they just wouldn't have been my choice for a land.

Fair point. Like I said, I and most everyone here hasn't sat around and said "I hope someday I can go into Andy's backyard". And especially considering I don't care for Toy Story Mania (the epitome to me of a lazy attraction billed as an e-ticket) it's surprising I'm not totally against the land itself. Maybe I'll just absolutely despise it when I walk into it, so who knows? I'm sure if I had seen the other TSLands in person I'd be as lackluster towards it as those who have.

I've probably gone on enough about it.

Kman101

Rockwork, themed buildings, etc. That all works for a themed environment. But the backyard of a suburb (Toy Story) or a cheap carnival look more like an area has been decorated as opposed to themed. It's the Pop Century approach.

And one more thing to add, just think of how many families say the All Star, Pop and Art of Animation resorts "are" Disney to them. If a resort doesn't have a big plastic figure of a Disney character it's not "Disney enough" to a lot of people. It's really frustrating because it seems these are who the parks are listening to. Or who the parks want to listen to.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom