Is attendance really down at WDW this or…

Disstevefan1

Double sell the park, attendance naturally increases.

Trip the turnstiles 30,000 times in the morning then 10,000 times for what ever party, daily attendance is 40,000.

Days of old would have had only 30,000 from morning to night.

A Magical 33% increase.
Totally agree.

The ironic thing for me is I am beginning to feel there is more value in some of the hard ticket events than the day tickets.

Nubs70

Don't let the facts obscure etc.
Like math?? How did USF get brought into this?

You know how to get a daily attendance figure of over250,000 per day? (This works for any attendance based entity. WDW is used as example only. Disclaimer provided to permeate cranial density)

1. Be open for 10 hours.
2. Total daily patrons 30,000
3. Convert DVC kiosks to Admissions kiosks complete with turnstile
4. Sell hourly admission tickets at 10% of current daily rate.

Therefore 30,000 patrons*10 admission/day = 300,000 gate clicks per day.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
Straw poll again. Work colleague is going to Orlando in a few weeks with his family. They have been every year for the last 2 decades. This is the first time in 20 years they are not going to Disney World. “It’s become too expensive”.

Another colleague just got back from his second family trip. First was pre Covid. Loved it. Hated the recent one. Too confusing. Too limiting. Too expensive. And I quote “they want you to pay more to get on some of the rides quicker and THEN want EVEN MORE for the best ones”. Won’t be going back.

These are just two families of average foreign tourists. How many more are there? Quite a lot it seems.
I’ve heard many of those same things as well from friends, co-workers, and even family members…many of those who used to go every year or 2.

Not a good trend for ol Bobby

V_L_Raptor

Straw poll again. Work colleague is going to Orlando in a few weeks with his family. They have been every year for the last 2 decades. This is the first time in 20 years they are not going to Disney World. “It’s become too expensive”.

Another colleague just got back from his second family trip. First was pre Covid. Loved it. Hated the recent one. Too confusing. Too limiting. Too expensive. And I quote “they want you to pay more to get on some of the rides quicker and THEN want EVEN MORE for the best ones”. Won’t be going back.

These are just two families of average foreign tourists. How many more are there? Quite a lot it seems.

And there are quite a few, once here, who are cancelling various reservations and trying to get their money back. That was a conversation I overheard several times throughout the day.

V_L_Raptor

Following up on this...

I was primarily in Epcot to pass through for some fish and chips and to take the boat to DHS. (I've found that taking the bus to HS from MK is a losing proposition... the wait time for that bus to arrive was around 45 minutes or so last time I tried. Why bother with waiting in line when I could just pass through Epcot for dinner instead?) Today I got a survey asking about how much dining I did in Epcot versus at other parks versus outside the parks. I didn't have much nice to say about the value for price at the fish shop (wow, they give a lot less now). They then went through and asked me all of their demographics questions, which look like a fun slice and dice to massage the data. (I love it how the demographics questions now always include coverage of interest in Star Wars, general Disney, and Marvel.)

As an additional side note... Not much usage on that boat to the Studios, especially from Beach Club and Boardwalk. More folks from Swolphin, but it was only about half full by the time it got to HS.

davis_unoxx

And there are quite a few, once here, who are cancelling various reservations and trying to get their money back. That was a conversation I overheard several times throughout the day.
On monorail last night, I heard people next to me complaining that animal kingdom closes at 6 pm. Saying they’ve never seen pandora at night, a land that was supposed to glow in the dark and was made for nighttime…

Also complained about magic kingdom closing at 10 and the rush it creates outside gates

jlhwdw

Trip the turnstiles 30,000 times in the morning then 10,000 times for what ever party, daily attendance is 40,000.
This is what my leaders would do when the area leaders were pushing efficiency. A minute or two before the end of the hour they'd ask us coordinators to "add 200" or "add 75" or once "add 372" to the hourly count and poof! We'd "hit our numbers" for the hour!

Nevermind that certain attractions had an hourly target that was literally impossible no matter how great the crew was, the projected hourly target number simply wasn't possible. But that didn't stop the area leaders and their leaders from barking orders to the front line leaders to "hit the numbers" and then artificially adding to the count so no one would have to face the wrath of some of the more "delightful" area leaders.

peter11435

So what is your point?
Is this a serious question. Do you honestly not see the point?

You’re implying that one of the reasons MK holds the top spot for attendance is their double selling the park. I’m simply pointing out that by that logic USF receives an even greater boost to its attendance.

Last edited:

Tha Realest

Is this a serious question. Do you honestly not see the point?

You’re implying that one of the reasons MK holds the top spot for attendance is their double selling the park. I’m simply pointing out that by that logic USF receives an even greater boost to its attendance.
WDW runs two separate after hours ticketed events during Christmas (November & December) in their parks. Does Universal do the same?

Ayla

Following up on this...

I was primarily in Epcot to pass through for some fish and chips and to take the boat to DHS. (I've found that taking the bus to HS from MK is a losing proposition... the wait time for that bus to arrive was around 45 minutes or so last time I tried. Why bother with waiting in line when I could just pass through Epcot for dinner instead?) Today I got a survey asking about how much dining I did in Epcot versus at other parks versus outside the parks. I didn't have much nice to say about the value for price at the fish shop (wow, they give a lot less now). They then went through and asked me all of their demographics questions, which look like a fun slice and dice to massage the data. (I love it how the demographics questions now always include coverage of interest in Star Wars, general Disney, and Marvel.)

As an additional side note... Not much usage on that boat to the Studios, especially from Beach Club and Boardwalk. More folks from Swolphin, but it was only about half full by the time it got to HS.
Skyliner not running?

Pepper's Ghost

I've heard this so much lately. A couple of families still going, but so many more "regular" Disney vacationers who just don't enjoy it the way they used to, don't get to ride nearly as many rides, it's lost all spontaneity, and they had to give Disney their first-born on their last trip. They said they figure they'll just keep their remaining kids and vacation elsewhere. 🤣 I'm shocked how much I've heard this recently. At first it seemed like just talk, but now it's real. I personally haven't been there in a decade.

DisneyNittany

I think the best way that I can put it, at least for myself and my wife, is that WDW trips cause way more anxiety now than they ever had. Almost to the point where we experience more anxiety than we do enjoyment. Disney World was our anti-anxiety medicine that allowed us to escape the real world for a bit. Now, you're paying more for way less, as well as having to micromanage your entire vacation by the minute.

We were going to take the our girls down in the Fall, since we used to love going over a Penn State bye week, but have all but officially cancelled that trip. We are instead opting for an RV road trip through New England/upstate New York. Haven't even done a price compare to see if it makes sense to keep WDW reservations or not. It's more so that it sounded way more relaxing, and both of us felt a tremendous weight lifted when we decided that we weren't going to be doing a WDW trip.

I would NEVER have imagined saying that ~5 years ago. I would have paid for Disney to repeatedly kick me in the nuts and thanked them, if it meant I could go to the parks.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom