Is attendance really down at WDW this or…

LSLS

yeah I'll say mobile ordering is actually something I really like that they did.
I'd be fine with it if I didn't almost have to do it. The line shouldn't be 15 people deep unless you mobile order. Times I really like it, but times we are just walking by a place, people complain they are hungry, and we just want to jump in and eat without passing a phone around for everyone to order, then checking in, then checking are order on the app. In other words, give me options. Staff your places well enough that my options are not do mobile order or wait 20 minutes (yes some exaggeration here).

Grimley1968

I've never minded mobile ordering, because I see it as just another option that is now almost ubiquitous outside WDW at chain and fast food places. It would be strange for WDW not to offer it. It seems to work about like anyplace at WDW, in my experience. But when we've done it the last few times we went to WDW, I asked my wife or my girls to do the mobile ordering because I was simply tired of looking at my phone all day.

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru
I've never minded mobile ordering, because I see it as just another option that is now almost ubiquitous outside WDW at chain and fast food places. It would be strange for WDW not to offer it. It seems to work about like anyplace at WDW, in my experience. But when we've done it the last few times we went to WDW, I asked my wife or my girls to do the mobile ordering because I was simply tired of looking at my phone all day.

I have a friend of a friend who does mobile ordering all the time and loves it. I haven't been to Disney in years however, but if I were down there and the place I really wanted to eat at was insanely crowded, I'd probably do it.

Vacationeer

In the Parks
No
Overall I prefer the mobile order era. The one gripe I have is inability to add something to that order, but it’s really not a big deal in compromise to how much easier the rest has become. Usually it had to do with adding a drink, like one of us realized we wanted hot choc when picking up from Sleepy Hollow. Would be cool if there was a way to add an ‘easy’ item to an order.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
I like mobile ordering when its done well, but there have been times this past year where there was insufficient capacity at WDW at Magic Kingdom mobile-enabled locations to deliver in less than a few hours. Like with the attractions, the lack of hourly capacity hurts at times.

DisneyNittany

But when we've done it the last few times we went to WDW, I asked my wife or my girls to do the mobile ordering because I was simply tired of looking at my phone all day.

Same. Also, the app didn't (doesn't still?) save gift cards, which is what we use to pay for the trip (since we save $5 for every $100 thru Target). Not a huge deal, but just more screentime that I didn't want to deal with.

Jrb1979

Genuine question: what things have changed that make you have to micromanage your entire vacation by the minute?

I know about Genie/Lightning Lanes being newer.

Anything else recent requiring micromanaging?
For us it's the whole thing that's too over the top. Especially for how we tour parks in general.
We are more spontaneous and go with the flow visiting parks.

We don't want to plan our rides, where we eat and when we eat everyday ahead of time. Add in mobile ordering where you have to plan ahead day of to order food.

Chi84

Premium Member
For us it's the whole thing that's too over the top. Especially for how we tour parks in general.
We are more spontaneous and go with the flow visiting parks.

We don't want to plan our rides, where we eat and when we eat everyday ahead of time. Add in mobile ordering where you have to plan ahead day of to order food.
Yes, we know. But you didn't address the question.

Tha Realest

As a Gen X’er whose glory days occurred pre-social media and smartphone ubiquity, and as a person whose job keeps me tethered to a work phone, I am so grateful my spouse and children now have phones so I can leave my device back in the hotel room and enjoy a vacation as it is meant to be, without a device in my pocket constantly pinging me back to the real world

Lilofan

The micromanaging is everything that's involved with the planing to visit a theme park. Having a schedule with rides, dinners, shows is what I would call micromanaging.
How can a schedule with shows be micromanaging? Maybe it’s just me but I like to know the showtime ahead of time so I can be there at the start of the performance. Try to enter a show mid performance you may be in for a surprise.

BrianLo

I will say as a tech savvy millennial it definitely sort of got to me in a round about way. Navigating Tokyo Disney makes me realize how much I minimize the complexity of the layer and layers at WDW out of familiarity.

Trying to cognitively wrap my head about what the heck is different about the four different ride/show passes, booking rules. Then the bloody app wouldn’t even work. Then you can’t even get an North American credit card to purchase tickets…

It is all so much more complicated than the last time I visited with a device in 2013 and purchased multi day tickets at a walk up window. I do understand the “stress” people are increasingly complaining about. Which yes, some of us neurotic planners like because we know the rules of the game and how to play them. But so many people must not know the game.

Jrb1979

How can a schedule with shows be micromanaging? Maybe it’s just me but I like to know the showtime ahead of time so I can be there at the start of the performance. Try to enter a show mid performance you may be in for a surprise.
It's not the show schedule itself that's micromanaging. I have no problem with working with show times.

This is an example of a day at MK that is micromanaging for the way we tour parks.

9am rope drop
10am LL for Pirates
11am LL for Haunted Mansion
11:30 show time for Festival Faire
12:30 ADR for Be Our Guest
2PM LL for Big Thunder Mountain
4:30 pm Paid LL for Tron.

That's too much scheduling for us.

seabreezept813

I have had very hit and miss with mobile ordering. One of my trips not too long ago, literally two friends and I all couldnt get into the system and get it to work with 3 different phones and two different carriers. Definitely not a phone or carrier issue for sure, as a fourth friend could get in. Frustrating to say the least. Also the other thing with having so many things on the app, I dont want to have to stare at my phone all day long. I came to WDW to get away from my every day life, not to do something I can do at home for free. I want to be able to have the great experiences, see the beautiful surroundings and most importantly connect with my friends and family that I am with. Marie
It’s definitely a bit overkill, but I type out our day to day hypothetical plans and print them and put on old fashioned notecards. I’m still using my phone to mobile order, grab a ride, or take a picture but it’s much more minimal because I’ve made my plans in advance and have it quick and easy to check without always looking at my phone.

Nevermore525

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
Lower attendance and increasing profits. Iger’s plan is still working reporting quarterly to Wall Street.
revenue is the total earned from sales, income is the profit earned after accounting for all expenses.

Domestic Parks Revenue - up due to costs/inflation, no surprise here...everything is more expensive
5820 (vs 5648 in 2023)

Domestic Parks Operating Income - 6% loss
1347 (vs 1436 in 2023)

Lilofan

revenue is the total earned from sales, income is the profit earned after accounting for all expenses.

Domestic Parks Revenue - up due to costs/inflation, no surprise here...everything is more expensive
5820 (vs 5648 in 2023)

Domestic Parks Operating Income - 6% loss
1347 (vs 1436 in 2023)
If the prices were not all jacked up and guests still willing to spend the revenue would be much lower. The higher pricing with lower attendance is a fact of life moving forward unless there is a change.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
If the prices were not all jacked up and guests still willing to spend the revenue would be much lower. The higher pricing with lower attendance is a fact of life moving forward unless there is a change.
you do understand lower crowds being reported and less operating income isn't a good trend right? especially with nothing new being added to the parks (attraction wise) likely in the next 3-5 years

Disney has increased pricing everywhere...EVERYWHERE...that is why revenue is higher. Similar to how Inside Out 2 set records for being the highest-grossing animated film of all time, We know that's not the best movie ever made, it just costs more to see movies now.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom