Is attendance really down at WDW this or…

PREMiERdrum

I booked a discounted value resort for about $108 a night and they have constantly been trying to get me to upgrade since the day after I booked it. It doesn’t make sense to me why they would push me so hard to choose something else… if they are then discounting the rooms more.
Because the margin scales up exponentially as you move up the "ladder" of Value - Moderate - Deluxe.

With a historically low occupancy rate across the property, they're trying to push as many wallets upwards as possible. A heavily discounted Deluxe room makes them a LOT more than a heavily discounted Value room, and their data shows that ancillary guest spending increases along with the tiered resort levels. They're simply using the tools at their disposal to redistribute guests to maximize profitability.

Drdcm

Because the margin scales up exponentially as you move up the "ladder" of Value - Moderate - Deluxe.

With a historically low occupancy rate across the property, they're trying to push as many wallets upwards as possible. A heavily discounted Deluxe room makes them a LOT more than a heavily discounted Value room, and their data shows that ancillary guest spending increases along with the tiered resort levels. They're simply using the tools at their disposal to redistribute guests to maximize profitability.
They’re trying sooo hard to get me to spend a few hundred bucks more at what I feel are their worst hotels. It’s kind of sad and pathetic tbh…

GimpYancIent

Yep, make it sound like it's an upgrade. The public is coming to the conclusion that off property accommodations are better quality and value than on property. A complete flip from what once was. Simply slapping the title Disney Resort on the accommodations does not add value anymore.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I mean, if they want to close a wing so bad, they can offer to move me to the contemporary. I’m not going to pay more though… so we both know that’s not going to happen

There have been reports of “scaling up”…which is fancy for not selling rooms and consolidating people to save costs

But not that big of a jump in price…
Yet

The Mom

Premium Member
Maybe I'm just thinking in New England prices. But a room for 4 people is costing us 290 for one night in New Hampshire for a weekend. Hotels at the Cape in the summer that are hygienic start at like 350. So prices for even your average chains are very high.
This has also been my experience when traveling in New England during summer months while doing college tours. These were not vacation rooms at the beach or in the mountains - just fairly close to colleges.

I am also old enough to remember when Caribbean Beach opened - as their first value resort! With a price to match. Ah, the good old days when there was a slow season with truly uncrowded parks - until WDW started working to make sure people were as crowded as possible by having staggered openings and closings, then limiting park hopping, etc.

wannabeBelle

This has also been my experience when traveling in New England during summer months while doing college tours. These were not vacation rooms at the beach or in the mountains - just fairly close to colleges.
Same for me. I stopped in Newport Rhode Island on a cruise I was on in May and it was so beautiful. I looked up the hotel rates for that town, WOW!!!! Crazy expensive, especially on the weekends. Marie

Lilofan

I know, I toured the Cliff Walk and the Breakers Mansion. "Cottages" indeed. The town was spectacular. All kinds of great little shops. I had a rather fabulous Lobster Roll for lunch, all in all a beautiful place, which is why I looked at the hotel rates. Marie
Last time we visited Newport RI was over 30 years ago. The cliff walks had no railings and we walked them during the day and after midnight. A surreal experience but I think now the cliff walks have some railings due to some falling all the way down...

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Newport is where all the Old Money have "cottages"...ie massive mansions.

I know, I toured the Cliff Walk and the Breakers Mansion. "Cottages" indeed. The town was spectacular. All kinds of great little shops. I had a rather fabulous Lobster Roll for lunch, all in all a beautiful place, which is why I looked at the hotel rates. Marie
I believe Newport is the most impressive “beach town” in the United States

Lilofan

Same for me. I stopped in Newport Rhode Island on a cruise I was on in May and it was so beautiful. I looked up the hotel rates for that town, WOW!!!! Crazy expensive, especially on the weekends. Marie
When it is college football weekend in New England the rates are at times 2-3x double the weekday daily rate. But that's probably the same in major college towns. There was a time I wanted to travel to see a Notre Dame home football game. The closest hotel with availability with min 2 night stay was 3 hours away.

seabreezept813

I am also old enough to remember when Caribbean Beach opened - as their first value resort! With a price to match. Ah, the good old days when there was a slow season with truly uncrowded parks - until WDW started working to make sure people were as crowded as possible by having staggered openings and closings, then limiting park hopping, etc.
Absolutely. Disney is not much more for us than a week at Cape Cod. And at Disney, we'll still have fun if it rains. The tickets and food push us over, but at least we know it won't be a washout. We literally went to Fort Lauderdale for 4 nights beach front hotel with airfare and it was cheaper than what I priced out for a weekend at Cape Cod.

Miss Bella

Are we going to dissect every city at every time of year and compare prices? I guess paying 800 a night at the Polynesian is justified because a hotel in New England costs 300 or a hotel in Paris is 1200. There are a lot of expensive hotels across the globe.......Duh !!! :banghead:

Shouldn't we be comparing the pricing of a WDW hotel to an offsite hotel, the same time of year and everything being equal?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom