Is attendance really down at WDW this or…

TheMaxRebo

I priced out a week at Pop with the Disney visa discount for two adults and two kids and 7 day park hoppers and the price was 4100 and that doesn't include food or Genie Plus. That is more than we paid for our 10-night stay at Poly back in 2010.

Definitely frustrating when comparing it that way but 13 years is a long time and prices of everything are way up since then

The average piece of a new car in 2010 was $24,296 .... in 2023 it is $48,08 -

DisneyHead123

The rack rates are still way too high but now the discounts they are offering being them to a reasonable/proper spot.

We paid $200/night for a 5 person room at POR - that feels reasonable for the quality and compatible off site wouldn't be *that* much cheaper and still have to deal with transport to the parks, no early entry, etc

Factoring the dining gift card you can find Value resorts for under $100 some night. Obviously need to be flexible with dates and popular dates are a lot more
Agree… supply and demand is starting to even out, although prices are still very high. I also think that PORFQ and AK are by far the best values out there right now.

lentesta

Premium Member
Because the margin scales up exponentially as you move up the "ladder" of Value - Moderate - Deluxe.

With a historically low occupancy rate across the property, they're trying to push as many wallets upwards as possible. A heavily discounted Deluxe room makes them a LOT more than a heavily discounted Value room, and their data shows that ancillary guest spending increases along with the tiered resort levels. They're simply using the tools at their disposal to redistribute guests to maximize profitability.

They're also able to re-sell the room you moved out from.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Just got a push notification from My Disney Experience - Magic Kingdom has extended park hours today until 11pm.

IMG_7360.jpg

Miss Bella

Definitely frustrating when comparing it that way but 13 years is a long time and prices of everything are way up since then

The average piece of a new car in 2010 was $24,296 .... in 2023 it is $48,08 -
I paid 27k for my Passat in 2019. I was just looking at new cars and they were nowhere near 48k. The price of everything is way up in the last two years. Prior to 2021, we had a normal inflation rate. Disney excluded of course. Now everything else is catching up.

TheMaxRebo

I paid 27k for my Passat in 2019. I was just looking at new cars and they were nowhere near 48k. The price of everything is way up in the last two years. Prior to 2021, we had a normal inflation rate. Disney excluded of course. Now everything else is catching up.

It's from Kelly Blue Book - actually slightly down in 2023 vs 2022 - obviously this factors in every level of car so the really high end stuff brings up the average, isn't saying you can't find a new car for less than that - just the average

just was saying 13 years is a long time and as you say the recent higher inflation is pushing everything up

1695495646392.png

Drdcm

I priced out a week at Pop with the Disney visa discount for two adults and two kids and 7 day park hoppers and the price was 4100 and that doesn't include food or Genie Plus. That is more than we paid for our 10-night stay at Poly back in 2010.
I agree the prices are outrageous. In 2010, was it still 4 ppl or just two?

It’s the tickets that nail you. There is very little incentive now for multi day tickets. A 7 day base ticket was about $225, it became heavily discounted as you added days. Now that same ticket is around $800 depending on the day. That’s before adding on park hopper.

Everyone keeps saying it’s inflation, but I have yet to find anything that scales with inflation show almost 400% increase in cost. It looms like they’re trying to correct this by offering steeper discounts on 4 day tickets during certain promotions.

I don’t do big trips now because there is very little cost savings for extended stays. Now I go for a day, and spend my money off property and at universal. I would easily stay on site and for longer if they incentivized it more for me, but cost is the driving factor for us.

Drdcm

I stick to a budget with Disney. Christmas and Halloween party’s are pretty much all I do now because it gives me the best bang for my buck. If I’m in the mood, I’ll go to one party. I’ll pay Disney for the party and that’s it. I stay off site, I eat off site. I’m not really trying to stick it to Disney, but I can’t stay there, eat there, buy more than the party ticket, or buy souvenirs and stay within my budget.

It actually makes me sad because I’m a physician, so have a good income, but I also have hundreds of thousands of dollars of loans that I’m never going to get forgiven, so all the discretionary income goes to pay that off. I can’t afford to line Disneys pockets as they continue to jack up the prices.

If they bring back good deals (hotel in this case), which they have recently, I will take advantage of it. I will be going for TWO WHOLE DAYS! in November.

Splash4eva

I know people absolutely cr*p on Value resorts but how much money are people saving by staying off property? Im genuinely curious. After either paying for an uber or parking fees if renting a car (not sure if hotels offer free shuttles) add in resort fees im guessing they charge for off site and then the time factor it now takes to get to the parks by staying off property.

Jrb1979

I know people absolutely cr*p on Value resorts but how much money are people saving by staying off property? Im genuinely curious. After either paying for an uber or parking fees if renting a car (not sure if hotels offer free shuttles) add in resort fees im guessing they charge for off site and then the time factor it now takes to get to the parks by staying off property.
I just looked for the 2nd week of November. Staying off site compared to All Stars it's a difference of on average $75 a night. Like most we aren't in the parks every day. Those days we aren't we do other things off-site.

TheMaxRebo

I will say if you are a larger party you can definitely do better for the $ off property.

If just a couple or like have just 1 or 2 small kids, then the values work fine. But as a family of 5 we either need a family suite or at least a moderate and even those rooms get tight for 5

Whereas off property you can get a multi room suite or even a full house for not much more per night. As an example, a few years ago we rented an 8 bedroom house with private pool that was 5 mins from Animal Kingdom and it was $220/night. I think it is a little more now, but still

MrPromey

I just looked for the 2nd week of November. Staying off site compared to All Stars it's a difference of on average $75 a night. Like most we aren't in the parks every day. Those days we aren't we do other things off-site.
The other factor is that typically, for comparable pricing, what you can find offsite is for a hotel with hotel rooms rather than an oversized Disney themed motel.

LSLS

So I drive which changes things, but usually you can stay in the springs hotels for right around the cost of a value room (so compare hilton/drury/holiday inn). If you stay more off site, when I was driving through a couple weeks ago, I could stay off 192 for about $70/night after taxes.

Miss Bella

I agree the prices are outrageous. In 2010, was it still 4 ppl or just two?

It’s the tickets that nail you. There is very little incentive now for multi day tickets. A 7 day base ticket was about $225, it became heavily discounted as you added days. Now that same ticket is around $800 depending on the day. That’s before adding on park hopper.

Everyone keeps saying it’s inflation, but I have yet to find anything that scales with inflation show almost 400% increase in cost. It looms like they’re trying to correct this by offering steeper discounts on 4 day tickets during certain promotions.

I don’t do big trips now because there is very little cost savings for extended stays. Now I go for a day, and spend my money off property and at universal. I would easily stay on site and for longer if they incentivized it more for me, but cost is the driving factor for us.
I made three trips to Europe over the last year. I did not notice an increase in hotel prices compared to our last trips in 2019, 2018, and 2017. Food has gone up in price everywhere.

Miss Bella

It's from Kelly Blue Book - actually slightly down in 2023 vs 2022 - obviously this factors in every level of car so the really high end stuff brings up the average, isn't saying you can't find a new car for less than that - just the average

just was saying 13 years is a long time and as you say the recent higher inflation is pushing everything up

View attachment 744565
Prices went up due to supply issues during the COVID lockdowns. Inventory is increasing and interest rates are prohibitive for a lot of buyers. I think good deals are coming. I walked around the showroom last month waiting for a battery change and I was pleasantly surprised. That chart is shocking to me. I guess I'm cheap when it comes to cars, but I've never bought a new car over 27k.

celluloid

For as busy as everyone thinks Disney is still attended, wow. Universal ok the weekends in this slow time of year, before HHN even gets to October is a different world.
ET was at a 45 minute wait today and Revenge of The Mummy 75. Hours before HHN.

Drdcm

Honestly it depends. I don’t mind the value resorts. To me, they’re a better deal than the deluxe resorts. I’m either a Hampton in or four seasons kind of person, never really wanted or liked the in-between options.

For November when I booked, I got a discount that made it worthwhile on site. Off site, I can use points and free reward nights at the Disney springs options. If I want some ring really nice and luxurious, there are options that are way cheaper and nicer than the deluxe resorts, so we tend to gravitate towards them instead. I’d say it’s about 50/50 for us if we stay on Disney property. It is a big change because prior to 2018 we basically always stayed on property.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom