Is attendance really down at WDW this or…

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The same with me...ive done Disney Parks well over 100 times, possibly closer to 200, so I would hope in my mind I have a good gauge if things are busier or quieter than the same park was the same time last year.

Trust me, I would love to have landed in Orlando and experienced quiet parks, with minimal waits and a much easier time...id have come on here saying.. "told ya so...Disney has p1ssed everyone off so much they aren't coming anymore"...id have loved that. But it wasn't what ive experienced these past 3 weeks.
My last trip it was somewhere between a 2002 and a 2010 crowd scale/level

That is very much a departure from the “roaring teens” when Bob was great and everyone bought a bad dvc contract prior to their fastpass+ reservation…

There is some disconnect and I like figuring out the differences? It’s just my thing

jpeden

In the Parks
No
The key to that is money. It costs nothing to walk around Disney springs, looking in the shops, taking in the atmosphere. And even if you do stop by for a drink, it won't cost the earth. So its a cheaper afternoon out to experience 'Disney'

The quote you've quoted....I am saying the parks are BUSY, I've witnessed that first hand over the last 3 weeks. It is OTHERS that have said the Restaurants,Resort Rooms and Shops are quiet...so I made the assumption that people are cutting back by missing out on the luxuries, to still be able to afford to do the very thing they come to Disney for...the parks.

I cannot comment on Restaurants and Shops and Resort hotels, as I've only done them sporadically - but if people who do them regularly are saying they are quiet then I take their word for it.

The same with me...ive done Disney Parks well over 100 times, possibly closer to 200, so I would hope in my mind I have a good gauge if things are busier or quieter than the same park was the same time last year.

Trust me, I would love to have landed in Orlando and experienced quiet parks, with minimal waits and a much easier time...id have come on here saying.. "told ya so...Disney has p1ssed everyone off so much they aren't coming anymore"...id have loved that. But it wasn't what ive experienced these past 3 weeks.

We were there for Thurs-Mon over Labor Day weekend, so August 31 - Sept 4 and stayed at WL. For us, the resort was much quieter and you could clearly tell they were on reduced staff. For example, QS was rarely packed, but there was always a long line to order. One person working Mobile order and one at the register. There was no reason it should have taken as long as it did. Why would staffing be reduced? Simple - occupancy was down (which was clear because hallways, public areas, elevators, pools, etc. were all uncrowded).

We were able to get any restaurant we wanted at pretty much any time for the trip (and we booked this trip on August 30 and went down the next day as the hurricane canceled our planned beach trip so it was VERY last minute). The fact that we had our pick of deluxe resort (G Flo, Boardwalk, Yacht, Beach, AKL, WL, Contemporary - some available the entire time, some we would have had to do a split stay) during a major US holiday weekend booking the day before travel where the parks should have been SLAMMED is all you need to know.

Now, as for the parks I did not feel they were busy. We never waited more than 40 minutes for anything the entire 5 day trip. We either sporadically used G+ on one or two days, but other than that we did more standby than ever. G+ was not regally even needed but we bought it for the convenience since it was just the two of us. The only time I felt it was “busy” was the Saturday we went to food and wine.

We have been to Disney in 2015 (Feb and Sept), 2017(Feb) , 2018 (April), 2019 (Sept), 2021 (Oct), 2022 (Oct), and 2023 in the past 8 years. This Labor Day weekend was the least crowded I’ve ever seen it, and we don’t go at peak times.

seabreezept813

Not only that, I like to speak to locals, or should I say Americans in the parks as its great to get other peoples feelings on things and how they hit the parks. And I'll say this, I've had many many people say they used to stay on property but this year decided to stay just outside as the cost is just getting out of hand. Even people that can easily afford to stay at the Grand Floridian, but don't see the value in it anymore with the reduced perks, so stay in an off site 5 star hotel for less money and have a blowout with their kids in the parks.
The thing about this is if you stay value, once you factor in a rental car and travel time to the parks you aren’t saving that much money.

JoeCamel

The thing about this is if you stay value, once you factor in a rental car and travel time to the parks you aren’t saving that much money.
Disney would like you to think that but if you vacation like you mean it you can save about 40%. The equation is changing as rentals, parking and offsite hotels escalate to come closer to what used to be moderate offsite pricing but it is still less. If you place an inordinate value on time you might make the case but a value traveler trying to experience WDW can do better staying offsite. Certainly if they maximize their time in Orlando by visiting other attractions.

Miss Bella

Everyone needs to look outside the box on this.

I've been in the parks every day for the last 3 weeks and I can tell you it's very very busy - I come to Orlando 2 or 3 times a year and it's certainly as busy as I've known it (Possibly not quite as busy as the week before Xmas) -people don't have to believe me, but it is what it is.

Disney arent reducing prices because the parks are empty, they are doing it because the parks are FULL. They know full well if the park is full and they can tempt another 1000 people into each park each day...it will most likely end up with more and more people buying G+ and LL+ becaise they are fed up with the long queue times...so it's a win win for Disney.

It will make the park even more busy and miserable for more people, but you must know by now Disney does not give a damn about guest satisfaction, at this point its 100% about the money.
They are probably offering resort discounts because the resorts aren't full. There is really not a big advantage to staying onsite anymore. I could see the parks being full and more people staying offsite.

Thepuma

I was staying at Drury Plaza recently and they provide Buses to and from all Disney parks. HS and Epcot were a 10 minute ride on their bus. AK 12 mins, MK 20 mins. So its free and not that time consuming. Travelling park to park is also free on the Disney transportation.

I've also stayed mega budget in Holiday Inn and Rosen Inn, and they too put buses on free of charge.

When I say people are cutting back on staying on resort, I don't mean they are going from Grand Floridian to Rosen Inn...they can save big money by just going from GF to a 5 star hotel just outside the resort.

But yes, not every cheaper hotel provides buses, that's why you have to do your research.

Thepuma

Disney would like you to think that but if you vacation like you mean it you can save about 40%. The equation is changing as rentals, parking and offsite hotels escalate to come closer to what used to be moderate offsite pricing but it is still less. If you place an inordinate value on time you might make the case but a value traveler trying to experience WDW can do better staying offsite. Certainly if they maximize their time in Orlando by visiting other attractions.
Plus most decent level non-resort hotels include complementary buses now, so that's not even a disadvantage now.

Thepuma

The non resort buses are not free. Take a good look at your ever increasing daily " resort fee ".

I've never paid a resort fee ever in all my times in Orlando...have in Vegas but never Orlando.

Stayed non-resort at Holiday Inn Lake Buena (3x), Rosen Centre, Drury Plaza, Cabana Bay, Surfside/Dockside, Red Lion (horrific!!) Hard Rock, Sapphire Falls, Portofino Bay..and a few more i cant remember off the top of my head.....never once have I paid a resort fee?

The place i stayed for 3 weeks at recent the Drury plaza was cheaper than All Sport Disney amd included Breakfast, food of an evening, 3 alcoholic drinks per night, along with free parking and free buses....no resort fee

Last edited:

Lilofan

I've never paid a resort fee ever in all my times in Orlando...have in Vegas but never Orlando.

Stayed non-resort at Holiday Inn Lake Buena (3x), Rosen Centre, Drury Plaza, Cabana Bay, Surfside/Dockside, Red Lion (horrific!!) Hard Rock, Sapphire Falls, Portofino Bay..and a few more i cant remember off the top of my head.....never once have I paid a resort fee?

The place i stayed for 3 weeks at recent the Drury plaza was cheaper than All Sport Disney amd included Breakfast, food of an evening, 3 alcoholic drinks per night, along with free parking and free buses....no resort fee
You seem to luck out. The beautiful Caribe Royal resort a few miles from WDW charges daily resort fee of $30 which includes transport to parks and Disney Springs.

Drdcm

Down to $87 a night at value resorts with the latest discount offer. Starting to feel like old times…well there anyways. Interesting
I booked a discounted value resort for about $108 a night and they have constantly been trying to get me to upgrade since the day after I booked it. It doesn’t make sense to me why they would push me so hard to choose something else… if they are then discounting the rooms more.

Thepuma

You seem to luck out. The beautiful Caribe Royal resort a few miles from WDW charges daily resort fee of $30 which includes transport to parks and Disney Springs.

That's why I've never stayed there. I just don't agree with Resort Fees....if you can't have the room without it then it should be added to the room rate. Its one of the biggest cons out there.

jpeden

In the Parks
No
I booked a discounted value resort for about $108 a night and they have constantly been trying to get me to upgrade since the day after I booked it. It doesn’t make sense to me why they would push me so hard to choose something else… if they are then discounting the rooms more.

Unless they're trying to get you out of a somewhat empty resort into a more full one. For example, if they can get x number of people out of a value resort, maybe they don't have to use a section/building, which saves money. They can get you to spend a little more by moving to a moderate that is more full. It's a win-win for Disney - you spend more and they save money if they can run fewer buildings at a resort.

LSLS

Free parking for WDW? Because Drury charges $25/night for parking at the hotel.

Thepuma

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230921_151127_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20230921_151127_Samsung Internet.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 60

seabreezept813

Maybe I'm just thinking in New England prices. But a room for 4 people is costing us 290 for one night in New Hampshire for a weekend. Hotels at the Cape in the summer that are hygienic start at like 350. So prices for even your average chains are very high.

LSLS

I never had a car on this visit, it was one of the perks on my booking confirmation....but I never needed a car as they provide buses.
Ah alright. They usually have a parking fee according to their website, but I LOVE Drury hotels in general. Free breakfast, dinner, and some drinks, big comfy rooms. They would definitely be top of my list if I was visiting Disney (and the price was similar to others).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom