Is attendance really down at WDW this or…

Splash4eva

Replying to everyone who has responded to my comments about people there and wait times…. As far as im concerned and im sure most if not all would agree. Noone really cares how crowded it is or isnt. If i have to wait 45 minutes for a ride i have to wait 45 minutes. No matter the reason whether because its because its crowded or because Disney choose to load slower…. Im still waiting so in the end thats all we care about when we enter a queue. The rest of these debates imo are irrelevant in regards to wait times.

Thepuma

Replying to everyone who has responded to my comments about people there and wait times…. As far as im concerned and im sure most if not all would agree. Noone really cares how crowded it is or isnt. If i have to wait 45 minutes for a ride i have to wait 45 minutes. No matter the reason whether because its because its crowded or because Disney choose to load slower…. Im still waiting so in the end thats all we care about when we enter a queue. The rest of these debates imo are irrelevant in regards to wait times.

And going by the crowds, there an many like you who will pay more and more to wait in longer and longer queues.

You are lucky that wait times for you are irrelevant.

But, for a good section of people, there is always a breaking point. Be it a queue time of 60+ minutes...or a Genie price of $25...or the difficulty actually getting one ride VQ.

And its this percentage of people that Disney may well lose out on if things continue as they are.

Splash4eva

And going by the crowds, there an many like you who will pay more and more to wait in longer and longer queues.

You are lucky that wait times for you are irrelevant.

But, for a good section of people, there is always a breaking point. Be it a queue time of 60+ minutes...or a Genie price of $25...or the difficulty actually getting one ride VQ.

And its this percentage of people that Disney may well lose out on if things continue as they are.
Why are wait times irrelevant to me?
Because i have DAS? I still purchase Genie bc to me its needed and higher wait times adversely effect DAS usage….

Disney is not cheap neither are other vacations like it. Its that simple unfortunately. Has Disney lost any value it once had 100%. Have they overpriced a decent portion out most likely? The nickel and diming is what to me is annoying plenty of people.

el_super

b) WDW is attempting to recalibrate the cost of park tickets for locals to better align with a decreased value of the WDW park experience

Or it could be the opposite, as I suspect is happening at DLR. Availability of Annual Passes went down and prices went up. They are offering locals discounts to recapture some of that lost AP market. While the overall discount is significant compared to the retail cost of a one-day ticket, the overall revenue is still higher than it would have been if those people were coming in on significantly discounted AP admissions. So in the end people pay more.

$59 dollars per day, may still be more than they would get with an AP admission, but less of a commitment to the consumer, so it's a win-win for everyone.

This would be true if the hotel rooms themselves were the only driving factor.

This is true if people were only spending their prebooked money on the hotel.

Hotel prices aren't the only prices that have increased... no?

Splash4eva

No, not because you have DAS (how would i even know that?), but because you said and I quote

"Noone really cares how crowded it is or isnt. If i have to wait 45 minutes for a ride i have to wait 45 minutes"
Yes meaning 45 minute wait is a 45 minute wait no matter the reason. Personally i have not waited nor can i wait longer than roughly 30 minutes for anything luckily ive been able to manage that between FP/Genie/DAS but last couple trips have seen some downtimes between rides

Lilofan

We spoke to quite a lot of Americans in the parks and was amazed how many come for just a day or two..even those coming hundreds of miles.

Many couldn't quite believe we were doing 3 weeks 😂😂...we are crazy and quite hard-core park goers... but, contrary to what you may think (going by my constant rants on here), I do actually enjoy Orlando and its parks. Its just for me it's become harder and harder and more and more expensive to have the same fun we had 4 or 5 years ago.

I think the only reason we may return in future is when Epic Universe is open...and of course,if we are coming all that way we will still visit Disney Parks. By then who knows, we may be back to free FP+ 😂😂
Some possibly perhaps more don't have the opportunity to be granted 3 weeks vacation from work much less go away for 3 weeks to WDW. One thing we learned in parts of Europe is a number of people take the entire month of August off . For unsuspecting travelers - think 2x about a trip to France in August. Seems like residents of some businesses close up for a month and go away on vacation.

hopemax

I will be visiting my Dad starting this weekend, and be able to file a report. 🫡🗒️

For the record, the things I look for to help determine how crowded things are. Shops: less crowded, it's way easier to look at the merchandise without needing to wait for people to move out of the way first. QS restaurants: how many people are you dancing around at the drink machines or the napkin / cutlery dispensers. Bathrooms, especially the smaller to medium size ones: are you having to wait in line for a stall, at the sink, to get in and out of the door. Around the park: when you stop to take a photo, can you wait for a gap and get a great vista shot with few people vs even when you are trying to take a tighter shot, you run the risk of someone's head getting in the way, and waiting for people to move doesn't help. How easy is it to find a place to eat your snack. Just general, "If you aren't in a queue how much are you dodging people and rolling your eyes because of the myriad of ways other people are getting in your way." There are big differences between the crowded and less crowded times. I reckon people notice when the attraction queues and cashier queues are long but they aren't usually evaluating these types of things in their reasoning.

Smugpugmug

I will be visiting my Dad starting this weekend, and be able to file a report. 🫡🗒️

For the record, the things I look for to help determine how crowded things are. Shops: less crowded, it's way easier to look at the merchandise without needing to wait for people to move out of the way first. QS restaurants: how many people are you dancing around at the drink machines or the napkin / cutlery dispensers. Bathrooms, especially the smaller to medium size ones: are you having to wait in line for a stall, at the sink, to get in and out of the door. Around the park: when you stop to take a photo, can you wait for a gap and get a great vista shot with few people vs even when you are trying to take a tighter shot, you run the risk of someone's head getting in the way, and waiting for people to move doesn't help. How easy is it to find a place to eat your snack. Just general, "If you aren't in a queue how much are you dodging people and rolling your eyes because of the myriad of ways other people are getting in your way." There are big differences between the crowded and less crowded times. I reckon people notice when the attraction queues and cashier queues are long but they aren't usually evaluating these types of things in their reasoning.
I noticed a lot of this when I was at AK on sunday. The quick service restaurants, walkways and bathrooms were quite crowded. I had to circle around Satuli Canteen a few times to find a table (and this is with the CMs not letting you in until your mobile order is ready). Every bathroom I went in had a line and there were lines for the sinks.

Safari and FOP were the only rides with more than an hour wait though. At FOP I literally watched the CMs let in one standby party and then cleared out the ILL line.

Dranth

Yes meaning 45 minute wait is a 45 minute wait no matter the reason. Personally i have not waited nor can i wait longer than roughly 30 minutes for anything luckily ive been able to manage that between FP/Genie/DAS but last couple trips have seen some downtimes between rides
From a strictly ride wait time point of view you are right, there is absolutely no difference. Still, I will take a low crowd day with equal weight times to a high crowd day because of the other benefits. Having less people in the way so there is more room to comfortably stroll through the parks, shop, use restrooms, etc. is nice.

Also, I am in that same 30-minute boat. I'll take G+ every time because no wait is better than any wait.

Splash4eva

From a strictly ride wait time point of view you are right, there is absolutely no difference. Still, I will take a low crowd day with equal weight times to a high crowd day because of the other benefits. Having less people in the way so there is more room to comfortably stroll through the parks, shop, use restrooms, etc. is nice.

Also, I am in that same 30-minute boat. I'll take G+ every time because no wait is better than any wait.
Totally agree regarding crowds as you said & yes no wait is better than any wait hence why ill bite the bullet & pay for the inferior product called Genie

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
IMO, there could be two possible reasons for such a massive discount being offered to Florida residents:

a) WDW sees a significant lack of attendance, especially from locals (note that this is not necessarily immediately a loss of revenue). So they offer the discount to at least drive up attendance from locals at the parks, even if that won't greatly impact the lack of resort bookings in the short term.

or (far less likely):

b) WDW is attempting to recalibrate the cost of park tickets for locals to better align with a decreased value of the WDW park experience

Given the amount of money and effort Disney has spent in creating the diminished park experience, it's hard to imagine they'd admit their colossal mistakes, even tacitly. So I'm going with a) as the most likely explanation, aided by years of watching discounts rise or fall depending on park attendance or resort bookings.
Locals are a typically small percentage of the daily visitors

They turn to locals when they can’t get the others

Which translates to: Trouble in burbank

Thepuma

But equally it could be a false indicator.

I mean, if you don't have the funds to go full Disney...are you going to say to the kids "we just can't afford to go kids"....or are you going to say "kids, we are still going to do Disney, but you won't be able to get that Disney toy from the shop inside MK, AK,Hs and EPC...and we won't be staying in Resort, nor eating every day in the parks"

The LAST thing that people are going to give up is the experience INSIDE the park.

This is why the parks are as busy as ever, but Resort hotels, Disney Restaurants and Shops are quieter than ever. People are giving up all the peripherals to ensure they can still come to Disney amd experience the magic.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
This is why the parks are as busy as ever, but Resort hotels, Disney Restaurants and Shops are quieter than ever. People are giving up all the peripherals to ensure they can still come to Disney amd experience the magic.

It’s obvious you got this one baked in…so I won’t argue it…

But one nugget to consider is that the most packed place consistently this year has actually been Disney Springs…especially on weekends.
Lb for lb.

Vegas Disney Fan

I think that’s true of anyone, we’ll all take a crowd level 3 day over a level 10 day… it’s much less noticeable when we’re comparing a level 7 day to a level 8 day though, which is likely whats happening with the “reduced attendance” at WDW right now.

Thepuma

But one nugget to consider is that the most packed place consistently this year has actually been Disney Springs…especially on weekends.
Lb for lb.
The key to that is money. It costs nothing to walk around Disney springs, looking in the shops, taking in the atmosphere. And even if you do stop by for a drink, it won't cost the earth. So its a cheaper afternoon out to experience 'Disney'

The quote you've quoted....I am saying the parks are BUSY, I've witnessed that first hand over the last 3 weeks. It is OTHERS that have said the Restaurants,Resort Rooms and Shops are quiet...so I made the assumption that people are cutting back by missing out on the luxuries, to still be able to afford to do the very thing they come to Disney for...the parks.

I cannot comment on Restaurants and Shops and Resort hotels, as I've only done them sporadically - but if people who do them regularly are saying they are quiet then I take their word for it.

The same with me...ive done Disney Parks well over 100 times, possibly closer to 200, so I would hope in my mind I have a good gauge if things are busier or quieter than the same park was the same time last year.

Trust me, I would love to have landed in Orlando and experienced quiet parks, with minimal waits and a much easier time...id have come on here saying.. "told ya so...Disney has p1ssed everyone off so much they aren't coming anymore"...id have loved that. But it wasn't what ive experienced these past 3 weeks.

Thepuma

Lb for lb.
Not only that, I like to speak to locals, or should I say Americans in the parks as its great to get other peoples feelings on things and how they hit the parks. And I'll say this, I've had many many people say they used to stay on property but this year decided to stay just outside as the cost is just getting out of hand. Even people that can easily afford to stay at the Grand Floridian, but don't see the value in it anymore with the reduced perks, so stay in an off site 5 star hotel for less money and have a blowout with their kids in the parks.

hopemax

But equally it could be a false indicator.

I mean, if you don't have the funds to go full Disney...are you going to say to the kids "we just can't afford to go kids"....or are you going to say "kids, we are still going to do Disney, but you won't be able to get that Disney toy from the shop inside MK, AK,Hs and EPC...and we won't be staying in Resort, nor eating every day in the parks"

The LAST thing that people are going to give up is the experience INSIDE the park.

People don't stop peeing, need to hydrate and refilling their drink bottles at the accessible drink stations, taking photos, resting or walking through places to get from A to B because they are cutting back on expenses.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom