Is attendance really down at WDW this or…

JD80

Following up, there is the effect of Splash being closed and rides going down more often (according to @lentesta) that increases wait times artificially across the park because of a funneling effect. That variable of increasing wait times at the park due to down time of attractions (lets call that delta W) has to be worse now than it was 4 years ago. But that's just a guess, I wonder if you can prove it out.

LSLS

Things look like the lower end of the spectrum of 2014-2017 crowds.

View attachment 734478
To go along with that, the only other Monday for the 31st is 2016 (which this is tracking right along with). I wish there was a way to select the nearest date for the day of week, that would be interesting to include as well (along with a chart of number of rides in operation throughout the day). Sorry to go on the tangent, I'm a data guy. I really like these charts and really want to expand on them.

Smugpugmug

I was at Epcot on saturday and sunday for Food and Wine and it wasn't "dead" but it was definitely less busy than this same time last year. The busiest area of the park was the Land pavillion. SO many people were taking naps on the booths at Sunshine Seasons or using them as a break spot from the heat. I did too because it was insanely hot.

None of the food booths other than France and China had a line.

Vegas Disney Fan

Following up, there is the effect of Splash being closed and rides going down more often (according to @lentesta) that increases wait times artificially across the park because of a funneling effect. That variable of increasing wait times at the park due to down time of attractions (lets call that delta W) has to be worse now than it was 4 years ago. But that's just a guess, I wonder if you can prove it out.
Genie+/ILL is also a huge factor, when we were at DL a few months ago the standby line was so short it wasn’t even visible outside the building but Space Mtn still had a 70 minute wait time, the G+ line looked like it had more people in it than the standby line.

We are trying to use an established metric (wait times) to determine how busy the parks are but due to a lot of changes we’re kind of comparing apples to oranges.

wannabeBelle

To go along with that, the only other Monday for the 31st is 2016 (which this is tracking right along with). I wish there was a way to select the nearest date for the day of week, that would be interesting to include as well (along with a chart of number of rides in operation throughout the day). Sorry to go on the tangent, I'm a data guy. I really like these charts and really want to expand on them.
Also to make this as equal as possible we would have to track how many attractions were down for an extended period of time. As others have mentioned quite a few are down today, potentially increasing the wait at other rides that may not have had a longer wait otherwise. Marie

TheMaxRebo

I don't know -- looks like Jungle Cruise, Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, and Seven Dwarfs Mine Train are all closed right now (and Splash Mountain, obviously). Makes it hard to judge other wait times.

Flight of Passage is only at 80 minutes too (Na'vi River Journey is at 95, bizarrely -- even though I personally think NRJ is excellent for what it is and I probably have more fun riding it than FoP, it's not designed to have that kind of wait and certainly not longer than FoP).

Kiliminjaro Safari is only 10 minutes; I would be riding that on repeat.

Safari seems to have a big dip after 2pm ... think everyone that goes early to then hop later does that earlier so then after the 2pm hoping the line seems to die down (also, higher probability of less active animals in afternoon)

but 80 mins for FoP isn't terrible

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Here we go, comparing the average of the last weeks of July...

1690830419208.png

So, in the morning up until noon, the wait times are less than the prepandemic years. And become much more noticeably less midday. But then converges closer in the evening.

It's almost like... something... is driving down attendance in the hazardous heat of the midday!!!

But we can only speculate.

Disstevefan1

I was at Epcot on saturday and sunday for Food and Wine and it wasn't "dead" but it was definitely less busy than this same time last year. The busiest area of the park was the Land pavillion. SO many people were taking naps on the booths at Sunshine Seasons or using them as a break spot from the heat. I did too because it was insanely hot.

None of the food booths other than France and China had a line.
Heat aside. How would you rate your guest experience?

JD80

If you're comparing specific days, the fact that some of those days may have been weekends would throw off the stats.

Perhaps compare the last Tuesday of July, or, compare weekly averages, as a suggestion.
Sure, but all I did was click a button and take a screenshot.

jannerUK

They just need more efficiency. Especially load and unload processes. It was so painful a few months ago when we went there.

They also need more indoor attractions. When a storm pops up the entire park shuts down basically
What happens in terms of your ticket purchase/price if the rides go down fir the vast majority of day. Do they recompense or a case of it is what it is at Seaworld?

Smugpugmug

Heat aside. How would you rate your guest experience?
I thought the crowds were pretty manageable. I liked that it wasn't shoulder to shoulder in World Showcase. Some festival food sucked but others were pretty decent.

Also wait times are so inflated. Remy was posted 40 minutes but the line wasn't outside. I got on line and didn't stop walking until I got to the room where you get the 3D glasses. It was like a 5 minute wait until the ride stopped for 10 minutes when I saw someone's hat fly off the ride.

Disstevefan1

I thought the crowds were pretty manageable. I liked that it wasn't shoulder to shoulder in World Showcase. Some festival food sucked but others were pretty decent.

Also wait times are so inflated. Remy was posted 40 minutes but the line wasn't outside. I got on line and didn't stop walking until I got to the room where you get the 3D glasses. It was like a 5 minute wait until the ride stopped for 10 minutes when I saw someone's hat fly off the ride.
Some of the food always sucked, so that is normal. Good to hear the crowds were manageable. Also, good to know they are inflating the wait times, I know they always did this, in the old days it was to make customers happy when their waits were shorter than expected.

Today it seems to me that they are intentionally inflating the wait times to influence folks to buy Genie+ because the posted wait times today are nowhere near reality.

SamusAranX

Crowds were the same way in April and may when I started going again with an AP.

They’re definitely down from pre-2020 I just don’t know by how much.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Today it seems to me that they are intentionally inflating the wait times to influence folks to buy Genie+ because the posted wait times today are nowhere near reality.
Yet when someone credible and independent actually studies the data… they conclude that isn’t happening… and share those findings here… and yet people continue to post purely speculative stuff like yours ignoring the available information.

It’s almost as if the conclusion isn’t based in facts…

UNCgolf

Yet when someone credible and independent actually studies the data… they conclude that isn’t happening… and share those findings here… and yet people continue to post purely speculative stuff like yours ignoring the available information.

It’s almost as if the conclusion isn’t based in facts…

It also ignores that the wait times were often way off well before Genie+ existed. There are guest satisfaction reasons to inflate wait times to an extent regardless of any financial incentive, but it's also not really an exact science. If the wait is posted as 30 minutes, and suddenly 750 people join the queue in the next 5 minutes, it'll be a while before the wait time updates to reflect that -- and the reverse can happen as well.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom