Is attendance really down at WDW this or…

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Wow, that's nuts!

I'm going on a Celebrity cruise later this year. Haven't been on a cruise in about a decade but I'm looking forward to the slower pace. I feel like a lot of other people have a similar opinion vs. going on a stressful park trip.
Celebrity is Fan…Tastic.

The RCL and celebrity ships have become nicer by leaps and bounds over that 10 years

Enjoy.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
and a record number of dvc resales on the market. I wonder why
Cause the bobs did this to them?

1688659404415.gif

Disstevefan1

I honestly think its a mixed bag
  • Orlando (as a whole) hitting a price ceiling over the last 2-3 years
  • The parks losing their value with paywalls, reduced hours, inflated waits
  • Onsite resorts (specifically the "value" resorts) lowering their value... why stay at All-Stars for $180 when you can stay offsite for a better room?
  • Lack of investment
  • More competition
Attendance is down at Universal/SeaWorld as well, so definitely agree money is more to blame... but attendance at WDW hasn't fully recovered so partially for them it's the lack of investment. Universal has been able to recover fully simply because of their ridiculous investment over the past few years.

I can definitely see how the family from Denver decided to skip WDW to go to Europe/Cruise/Mexico for a cheaper/better value.
All true. Perhaps the family from Denver will go to EPIC Universe when it opens?😉

hopemax

A not-mentioned contributing factor could be the tightening of the housing situation including the effect of rising interest rates. Young families, one of the groups Len previously mentioned are slipping, are the ones, especially, trying to manage both, and could be forced into a situation of having to focus on their housing situation. Disney undoubtedly misread the 2022 tea leaves and made it worse, but the delta between 2019 and now on stable, long term housing either renting or owning can not be dismissed. Anyone with one of those sweet 3% or less mortgages, are experiencing a different economic reality, and may be enough to keep the general travel trends high, but not going to Disney. Also, from just a quick Google from the US Travel Association, and in general, International arrivals are still down by 26% over pre-pandemic levels. We know International represents 20%ish of WDW guests, so the impact wouldn't be inconsequential.

Royal Purple Pigment

I usually go to the parks once or twice a week and it has been slower over the past few months. I was at several parks on the 3rd including Magic Kingdom and Magic Kingdom on the 4th. I got there on the 4th around 4 PM and it was a bit of a ghost town up front. It was more crowded by the time the fireworks went off but overall not as busy as I expected. I haven't been on the 4th recently but it didn't seem like much was going on as far as decorations, etc. The fireworks were great but I was expecting to see more characters, etc. They had three stage parties but not really any focus on patriotic music or anything like that. Nothing extra in Liberty Square, etc. Mostly they were just going through the motions. It was a bit of a let down overall.
July 4 2023 1.jpg
July 4 2023 2.jpg
July 4 2023 3.jpg
July 4 2023 4.jpg
July 4 2023 5.jpg

Last edited:

Disstevefan1

I usually go to the parks once or twice a week and it has been slower over the past few months. I was at several parks on the 3rd including Magic Kingdom and Magic Kingdom on the 4th. I got there on the 4th around 4 PM and it was a bit of a ghost town up front. It was more crowed by the time the fireworks went off but overall not as busy as I expected. I haven't been on the 4th recently but it didn't seem like much was going on as far as decorations, etc. The fireworks were great but I was expecting to see more characters, etc. They had three stage parties but not really any focus on patriotic music or anything like that. Nothing extra in Liberty Square, etc. Mostly they were just going through the motions. It was a bit of a let down overall.View attachment 728618View attachment 728619View attachment 728620View attachment 728621View attachment 728622
The empty parking lots means they killed the local attendance.

Something they WANTED TO DO!

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED DISNEY.

TWDC are you happy now?

Thepuma

For 6 years (bar 1 for covid) I have visited Orlando 2 or 3 times a year..every time having a 2 week Disney Park Hopper ticket. Over the years it's become less and less enjoyable while getting more and more expensive.

The G+ Guge price increase for less useability is the final straw and our 16 night stay in September will be our last.

From January we are touring the theme parksnof Europe and Asia.

I really.dont think politics comes.into things with 99% of park goers...its all about experiences and cost.

Andrew25

That will depend on how much Universal jacks up their prices.

It'll be interesting to see how Universal plays the pricing game. They can either approach it with a lower cost to ensure the park is filled and later increase prices... or be stupid like Disneyland with SWGE and make it expensive/difficult to attend the park with all APs blacked out for months.

Lilofan

So where are they going?

If attendance is down at all the central florida theme parks, where are the massive crowds that are still coming in?

Are they all just going to the beach? Shouldn't there be some additional evidence that Kennedy Space Center is mobbed with space enthusiasts or that... no wait.... I literally can't think of another thing to do in Florida.
A number of folks have moved to FL over the years. Maybe the ones flying into MCO and other airports are visiting family and friends ?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom