Is attendance really down at WDW this or…

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Unless this recession is atypical... people are still sending money BUT certain segments of the economy - especially travel and entertainment - are seeing their own secular recessions. Cable TV viewing has gotten so bad that studios are refusing to release their viewership numbers. That's never happened before.
Very fair point. If you listen to the daily financial coverage…it becomes evident they don’t know what the hell they’re looking at?

Still…it’s very unusual for wdw/central Florida to lag behind the travel market.

Even in strange days…that should not be a thing

CaptainAmerica

Unless this recession is atypical... people are still sending money BUT certain segments of the economy - especially travel and entertainment - are seeing their own secular recessions. Cable TV viewing has gotten so bad that studios are refusing to release their viewership numbers. That's never happened before.
The cruise business is through the roof. Air travel is through the roof. Hotel bookings are through the roof.

There is no secular recession in travel.

Disney is unique in their implosion.

Disstevefan1

Fresh Baked released their 4th of July Disneyland trip report this evening and he spends half the video talking about how slow the park is and speculating on the affects of the reservations and crowd control schemes, he also mentions the magic key calendar was sold out.

The “why” is a mystery but it looks like the 4th was very slow on both coasts.
Disneyland is a local park. Before the reservation system, the park was packed with 75 percent locals using APs to get in.

Today they block the locals with APs BY DESIGN.

Foks should enjoy it while it lasts.

Lilofan

The cruise business is through the roof. Air travel is through the roof. Hotel bookings are through the roof.

There is no secular recession in travel.

Disney is unique in their implosion.
Airline travel through the roof is misleading. Airlines are dealing with shortages of staff , less frequency of flights , so the idea of some is airlines are ....

monothingie

Too bad, sugar puff. We could have been something.
Premium Member
That is definitely what the business seems to suggest. Could be temporary? But not if it’s price. Big problem.
Just because there is high demand doesn't mean that people will simply throw money at what is perceived to be a bad value.

Of course everyone's perception of value is different, but Disney seems to be doing a good job of associating themselves with "bad value".

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Just because there is high demand doesn't mean that people will simply throw money at what is perceived to be a bad value.

Of course everyone's perception of value is different, but Disney seems to be doing a good job of associating themselves with "bad value".
I’m told near everyday here that value is determined by personal truth.

Which means there’s no such thing as value…the concept doesn’t exist without recognition of reasonable consensus.

Last edited:

monothingie

Too bad, sugar puff. We could have been something.
Premium Member

Which means there’s no such thing as value…the concept doesn’t exist with recognition of reasonable consensus.
My personal truth is that if you derive value from a paying $30 on top of a $180 Ticket to have a less miserable experience, you're doing it wrong.

Disstevefan1

We have talked for decades on these boards about a breaking point; prices getting too high for everything at WDW. Maybe they are starting to feel this?

Another reason could be folks are holding off their visit to central FL until EPIC Universe is open?

Last edited by a moderator:

Andrew25

IF, attendance is allegedly down at WDW it’s not about politics or folks not feeling safe in FL.

IF it is true, it’s probably about MONEY.

We have talked for decades on these boards about a breaking point; prices getting too high for everything at WDW. Maybe they are starting to feel this?

Another reason could be folks are holding off their visit to central FL until EPIC Universe is open?

I honestly think its a mixed bag
  • Orlando (as a whole) hitting a price ceiling over the last 2-3 years
  • The parks losing their value with paywalls, reduced hours, inflated waits
  • Onsite resorts (specifically the "value" resorts) lowering their value... why stay at All-Stars for $180 when you can stay offsite for a better room?
  • Lack of investment
  • More competition
Attendance is down at Universal/SeaWorld as well, so definitely agree money is more to blame... but attendance at WDW hasn't fully recovered so partially for them it's the lack of investment. Universal has been able to recover fully simply because of their ridiculous investment over the past few years.

I can definitely see how the family from Denver decided to skip WDW to go to Europe/Cruise/Mexico for a cheaper/better value.

Chi84

Premium Member

Which means there’s no such thing as value…the concept doesn’t exist without recognition of reasonable consensus.
This is true. Value is subjective; a thing is worth only what someone is willing to give for it. There is a such as objective value and "reasonable consensus" is as good a way as any to define it. For example, food has objective value because it is needed by all.

I know what you're getting at, but value isn't the same as truth.

el_super

I’ve never believed they wanted “limited attendance” to provide a better guest experience. They want those hotels filled. They want the parks filled.

If they wanted the parks full, they could drop the price tomorrow. That's not what they want.

It's not about having the parks be full... it's about maximizing the amount they get from each guest.

It seems like ancient history now, but these comments were coming at a time that they were ripping out trees and planters and widening walkways at Disneyland, in order to make room for the suspected 200k+ onslaught of guests coming for Star Wars Galaxy's Edge. Guests that were, paying the bare minimum to get in via annual passes. Guests that were causing the lines to swell and become unbearable and lower the satisfaction rating of the people who were paying the most.

Doing what you can to make the people willing to pay the most, happier, is capitalism at work.

CaptainAmerica

I know of several people who cancelled their Disney vacations because of Florida being... Florida. lol

Ironically, they're all going to Pigeon Forge/Dollywood instead... But I guess Pigeon Forge isn't under a microscope right now.

Nobody in any great number is cancelling travel to Florida.

Lilofan

I know of several people who cancelled their Disney vacations because of Florida being... Florida. lol

Ironically, they're all going to Pigeon Forge/Dollywood instead... But I guess Pigeon Forge isn't under a microscope right now.
Ask some in my gym and they don't even know what state there are even located at. Back to some leg presses...

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
If they wanted the parks full, they could drop the price tomorrow. That's not what they want.

It's not about having the parks be full... it's about maximizing the amount they get from each guest.

It seems like ancient history now, but these comments were coming at a time that they were ripping out trees and planters and widening walkways at Disneyland, in order to make room for the suspected 200k+ onslaught of guests coming for Star Wars Galaxy's Edge. Guests that were, paying the bare minimum to get in via annual passes. Guests that were causing the lines to swell and become unbearable and lower the satisfaction rating of the people who were paying the most.

Doing what you can to make the people willing to pay the most, happier, is capitalism at work.
A place trying to “limit attendance” doesn’t release a steady string of discounts and bring back programs that incentivize more frequent visits

That’s exactly what they’ve done in Orlando…completely unsuccessfully to this point.

…Let your capitalists know…

Last edited:

Disstevefan1

Nobody in any great number is cancelling travel to Florida.
@CaptainAmerica to the RESCUE! Thanks Captain.

This time we agree. But please don't believe us. Then WDW will become MOBBED again. ;)

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
This is true. Value is subjective; a thing is worth only what someone is willing to give for it. There is a such as objective value and "reasonable consensus" is as good a way as any to define it. For example, food has objective value because it is needed by all.

I know what you're getting at, but value isn't the same as truth.
Consumers must set their guidelines and that is always what we wrestle with when it comes to Disney.

I mean…they are manipulating people…so we must manipulate back.

Kinda laisse faire

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom