Is A Picture Really Worth It?

WDITrent

I was bothered when I saw people taking pictures with flash in PhilharMagic. What is there to take a good picture in there?

Jekyll_Baker

I agree, I find the people who insist on using their flash kinda annoying and disrespectful of others. I turn off the flash and LCD on my camera, even on dark rides (my last couple cameras - both Olympus - take pretty good dark pics). Funnily, last time at WDW I was taking a pic in PotC since it was at almost stop, even back past the burning city - when I looked at one of the pics I took, it was lit by someone else's flash!

But what I find worse than the "idiots" taking flash photos in dark rides, are the "bigger idiots" who insist on talking on their cell phones during shows, like HoP, CBJ, Muppets, etc.

MKCP 1985

:eek:

oops, sorry.

Sometimes in the past, the camera was new to me or I wasn't used to using it in low light settings and I didn't mean for the flash to come on or I didn't know the video lens would be so bright on the video camera as to bother you. I tried to set the setting for no-flash, but accidents happen.

I wasn't trying to ruin your ride experience.

I felt bad that it happened. But yeah, I really did want that picture, and it was worth making the effort to get it. That show may be closing before I ever return, or it may be Grandma's last visit, and I may be pretty desperate to grab that photo before the moment is gone forever.

Is it asking too much of some of us to have a little empathy, or do you really have to insist that your own experience be perfect with no distractions from the other guy?

If you visit a park with 40,000 of your closest friends all at the same time, you aren't likely to have things go your way all the time. Some of the time, you will be inconvenienced due to indifference, but some of the time it will be due to the other person just not knowing better or the occurrence of an accident. :shrug:

the-reason14

This is just a question, I dont know if it would work, but it may help. If you were on a ride or watching a show that was "ruined" by other folk flashing and videoing, couldnt you tell the cm at the exit and ask if you can ride again? They may let you, but it doesnt guarantee a flash free ride, but maybe you will have better luck next time.

I agree that its annoying and inconsiderate, but it doesnt really bother me, that much. I go into most attractions knowing that that is gonna happen. I wouldnt let it ruin my trip though. There are other things that happen that do that for me, lol.

PhotoDave219

Well... you could always not take your camera.

Because lets face it, unless you've actually taken the time to learn how to use your camera, odds are that picture of Jack Sparrow in PotC just isn't going to come out... flash or not.

Me, i try to be respectful of the other guests and their experience when i photograph attractions. I don't use a flash... mainly because i don't like the look and i can get what i want without too much trouble.

So in the end is the photo worth ruining someone's good time? Nope. Not one bit.

daliseurat

oops, sorry.

Sometimes in the past, the camera was new to me or I wasn't used to using it in low light settings and I didn't mean for the flash to come on or I didn't know the video lens would be so bright on the video camera as to bother you. I tried to set the setting for no-flash, but accidents happen.

I wasn't trying to ruin your ride experience.

I felt bad that it happened. But yeah, I really did want that picture, and it was worth making the effort to get it. That show may be closing before I ever return, or it may be Grandma's last visit, and I may be pretty desperate to grab that photo before the moment is gone forever.

Is it asking too much of some of us to have a little empathy, or do you really have to insist that your own experience be perfect with no distractions from the other guy?

If you visit a park with 40,000 of your closest friends all at the same time, you aren't likely to have things go your way all the time. Some of the time, you will be inconvenienced due to indifference, but some of the time it will be due to the other person just not knowing better or the occurrence of an accident. :shrug:

See the problem really isn't those folks who accidentally take a flash photo by mistake. They usually take the one and then stop because they realize their mistake. And there is no RULE per se about the video camera screen. I myself have certainly used it many times where I shouldn't have because I didn't realize it could annoy someone else. Of course this was before everyone was doing it. So I see your point, but as Disney does have a NO FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY rule on many attractions, I am going to be annoyed with anyone who ignores the rule over and over again. Once is a mistake, anymore is simply rude. As for the VIEWSCREENS, I don't use mine anymore, and until Disney decides to put a rule in effect against them, not much we can really do.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
I have seen this happen practically every time I ride POTC it's like a dance party there's so many flashes going off from people taking pictures. Somehow I've avoided this issue on HM so far....

You know what I do if I want pictures of a ride? I go to Google Images!

kubfish

Well... you could always not take your camera.

Because lets face it, unless you've actually taken the time to learn how to use your camera, odds are that picture of Jack Sparrow in PotC just isn't going to come out... flash or not.

exactly... and half the fun of taking pictures in low light is the challenge it presents photographers. Not to mention, even if they did get a shot with the P&S flash, the mood of the picture is gone.

No Flash and turn off the LCD's!!! As many said above, POC is one of the worst rides for flash syndrome.

Oh the entire topic gets under my skin so bad it brought me out of lurking.

I know its a topic that's been debated at length, but I have never been able to grasp how certain people are so inconsiderate of others.

H20Babie

I take some photos in rides or shows, but discreetly and modestly. And I always turn my flash off, and try to get the shots when there is enough light. However, I can understand your peeve as a few times we had people in front, behind or beside us who took photos throughout the whole ride. What's the point in that? You don't get the whole ride experience ... sit back and enjoy the ride. What I found even more of a problem, though, were the amount of cell phones being used during shows and on rides. Eeeeegads! You're on VACATION! Lol ... just my own take :)

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
SSE was awful in July... like a strobe show. The woman behind me - with a nice SLR - was taking flash pic after flash pic. In the end I made sure I leant across her view enough to make her stop, after politely asking to no avail. I guess she didn`t know AAs arn`t designed to be seen in full light; as anyone who has seen them the look awful since the `makeup` is designed for that model in that spot under that exact lighting.

Anyhows, I mentioned this to the unload CM who sadly agreed but said it has become a real problem on SSE but there is nothing more they can do.

Raven66

For the life of me I can't remember what ride I was getting on, but I had my camera around my neck and the CM said "No flash photography". And I said of course not. I would have usually put it away but my DH had the case with him. I didn't even have the lens cap off. :lol:

Eyorefan

I honestly don't know what is more annoying.... flash photography or people screaming into their cell phones.

I really do want to hear the audio of the ride, not all about what the person in front of me had for lunch or what characters they are planing to see at dinner.

Honestly our society has become too ME oriented.

Jasper Dale

Original Poster

i think it is reasonable to expect that when i go on an attraction, my experience should not be ruined by people who are selfish and only care about getting a picture for themselves.

that's why they are called "rides", not "picture taking opportunities".

:rolleyes:

Sassagoula-Rvr

This was terrible at Disneyland on Pirates they came on the loudspeaker twice and said "please no flash photography thank you." during the ride...Finally a college aged kid told these other kids,"Hey! They are talking to you guys! No flash photography..." and that kind of shut them down.

I had the same thing happen to us on Dinosaur last Christmas. My son was trying to record the ride on the camera using the video feature, The CM came across the loud speaker saying "please put the camera away, no video recording please." Very embarrassing for me.

Here is a link to the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zp5P_rlstaY

I am a professional photographer. It seems to amaze me that some people use the flash on their camera from the back row of the theater. Something to consider though, some cameras will not focus properly without the flash activating. The sensor tries to compensate with flash to get proper focus. Another thing is most newer cameras only come with the "live view" feature which you cannot turn off.

When I take pictures to memorialize my Disney experience I do not do it with intentions to ruin someone elses experience or upset someone. I go to Disney for at least 10 days, 2 days in each park, 1 day to ride and enjoy attractions, 1 day for nothing but pictures.

goodtimes5286

I'm going up to MK before SM closes and I'm going to take pics of everything leading up to the ride and videotape the ride with 2 other people (so we take up one rocket), is anyone going to be mad because the attraction is about to leave us all forever?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom