Interesting Rumor Straight From MiceAge

slappy magoo

I'll agree that the Studios needs something bigger to make it a "day" park. IMHO, since little to no production is getting done there nowadays, they could lose the entire Backlot Studios tour and not feel like anything was missing. Plus, the fact that many of the old props there, like the cars, are showing age and weather, it winds up feeling like a combination junkyard-thrift store-museum store. Not exactly mind-blowing fun. Use that land for a major-league E-ticket ride.

Mightymoc

A Humble Lurker Emerges

I find this thread very interesting and offer the following:

From a marketing perspective, Disney must choose their primary customer demographic to target. They have chosen (wisely, IMHO) the family market, particularly with small children. Good choice here - young children require at least one adult with money to spend. Young children beget memorable occasions that beget loose purse strings. Thus, the money is spent. Going after the teen, "thrill-seeker" market gets you a customer base that is both fickle and largely short of the kind of cash piles that a theme park requires for big success. If you build a big coaster this year, somebody will build a bigger coaster next year. If the thrill is the "hook," then somebody will simply build a better "hook." If the "hook" is the overall experience, the competition will be extremely hard-pressed to overcome that competitive advantage on short notice. Overall experience begets multiple night stays and more money spent. Thrill rides are better left to the day-trip regional parks.

My data to back-up my humble theory:
From Forbes.com, we get data compiled by Economic Research Associates. The World's Top 10 Most-Attended Theme Parks in 2004 were:
1) Magic Kingdom - Walt Disney World, FL (15,170,000)
2) Disneyland - Anaheim, CA (13,360,000)
3) Tokyo Disneyland - Tokyo, Japan (13,200,000)
4) Tokyo Disney Sea - Tokyo, Japan (12,200,000)
5) Disneyland Paris - France (10,200,000)
6) Universal Studios - Osaka, Japan (9,900,000)
7) Epcot - Walt Disney World, FL (9,400,000)
8) Disney-MGM - Walt Disney World, FL (8,260,000)
9) Lotte World - Seoul, South Korea (8,000,000)
10) Disney's Animal Kingdom - Walt Disney World, FL (7,820,000)

So, 4 of the top 10 most attended parks in the world are in the number 1 tourist destination area in the U.S. No surprise there. Those 4 comprise the core attractions at Walt Disney World. No surprise there. Universal parks in Orlando,Fl are not in the top 10. That is a little bit of a surprise to me. That tells me that even a park like DAK (without Everest, mind you) still outdraws either of the Universal parks. Universal is certainly not a new upstart. Those parks have been there long enough to establish their place in the market. From my perspective, Disney's marketing strategy continues to be a success.

Just my opinion, your mileage may vary.

Rob

speck76

AEfx said:
Yes, you mentioned that earlier. I just disagree as it's signifigance.

IOA is not as successful because it really only has two "thrill" rides - two roller coasters. It's other attractions are no more intense than their Disney counterparts. The problem with IOA is that it doesn't inspire repeat visits as it has been stagnant as far as development since it opened, and it does not offer enough pure "thrills" for that to be enough.

People offer up IOA as definitive proof each time this topic comes up; I think it's an example that is valid but not an absolute indicator of anything.

IOA has NEVER had good attendance......it is not about repeat visitation, as not that many people have been there in the first place. In the year 2000, considered the best year ever in Orlando tourism, the park had just over 3million guests....less than seasonal parks like Cedar Point and Kings Island.

When the park was BRAND NEW, people were not interested.

AEfx said:
Because, if done properly by Disney, it could blow those other parks away.

That's one reason I don't like to use the term "thrill", because people just picture generic steel coasters. Quite the contrary, I imagine what could happen if Disney designed more "thrilling" rides with their special brand of magic - and think a whole new audience would appear that would enjoy ALL the Disney parks, if only they gave it a chance. Many people don't come to WDW now because they view it as "kiddie" place - if a park that offered more to them appeared they would have reason to visit.

Again, done by Disney you couldn't visit it near your home. No one thinks Disney should make a SF clone. Your average is just that - a statistical number that is not a constant. It is not evidence of anything but the current market. The whole point I am making is that there is an untapped market out there - I am not debating the current state of Orlando tourism. I am looking at changes that would be made to that state if the proper criteria were put in place.

Disney is clearly going after that market - look at some of the recent additions in the past few years : Test Track. RnR. M:S. Everest. The problem is, they are coming at the expense of the existing parks and aren't enough to convince those people who want real bang in their attractions.

But could Disney create this "Disney Thrilling Experience park" you speak of and actually have it be a success.

The rides you mentioned were all huge investments.....how many of these rides would need to be built in a park to have it not be a half-a$$ed effort? 10, 12? So now, you are looking at (just for the main rides) over a $1Billion investment, not including the park itself, and all of the supporting attractions and infrastructure.....so, Disney builds a $2Billion park for a market that "could" exist.

AEfx said:
You give a lot of figures, but I simply think your analysis is overlooking how things could be versus how things work now. There are tons of people out there that don't have toddlers or elderly people traveling with them; many people are having children later in life and therefore have a larger disposable income for vacations. Many people in this market don't consider Orlando because of the impression it's for kids.

Many people who make the argument that they need to design for "everyone" but don't take into account that by designing for "everyone" they inherently limit the audience. "Everyone" usually means appropriate for the elderly and small toddlers, which excludes many of the features that appeal to other groups.

Doesn't a thrill park have an even narrower target audiance than something non-thrilling? Currently, anyone can ride the majority of rides at WDW, it is up to them if they want to or not. If you build intence attractions, suddenly, it is not a choice. MS is a good example....not everyone can ride that attraction. So the ride is already limited in that way....so then, after that, the decision of "do I want to ride this or not" comes into play......If only 80% of the visitors CAN ride the attraction, and only 90% of those WANT to ride the attraction, the size of your audiance has already been limited.

I am not saying every attraction should be for every person, I do believe in "something" for everyone, not "everything" for everyone.

AEfx said:
It's funny, because I don't think people who argue against a fifth park with more intense rides think through their arguments. We've watched Epcot get eaten away by thrill rides, and it's going to continue. It's clear Disney wants that market, but I would think people would want Disney to do it and do it seperately and not turn our existing parks into the mismash they are becoming (namely Epcot and MGM).

Isn't a more diverse park better.....if one can go to a single place, and enjoy both thrills, and relaxing attractions or shows......doesn't that make a more complete experience?

AEfx said:
So yes Speck, I am sure your figures are accurate. But they are just statistics. To me, when you quote them it is like someone in 1965 telling Disney that they shouldn't build a park in Orlando because tourism is dead there. Why is that not valid? Because Disney was opening something new - and while this may not be of the same scope, it would bring in a whole new type of guest.

It "could".....there is no "would". The country as a whole was on a theme-park building spree in the late 60's and early 70's....Why? The baby boomers were coming of age....late teens, early twenties....a huge amount of people in this "target market". So many parks were opened at the same time as WDW, or within a few years....

A lot of parks have been opened in the last few years in the US.....not so many are doing so hot...Jazzland, Visionland, both went through bankruptcy.....most others have had flat attendance, Six Flags itself is in a hole so deep, I could see them going Chapter 11 if this season is not fantastic.

When WDW opened, it brought something to the east coast that was well known....it brought "Disneyland" to the people of New York (the largest market of travelers to Orlando). By building a thrill park, what are they bringing to the area? What is it that East Coast residents really want, and can't get ANYWHERE on the east coast, that a Disney thrill park would bring to them?

AEfx said:
It's just like when people say, "a fifth park wouldn't work because DAK didn't increase attendance". To me, that's like saying you run a restaurant that has six types of steak and you wonder why if you add a seventh type of steak to the menu more people don't come - and in fact it just cannibalized the sales of the other six types of steak. It's pretty obvious - the restaurant is offering something new, but not different. Therefore, it didn't attract a new clinetele, like adding more variety like chicken or fish to the menu would. DAK offered smiliar entertainment to the existing parks, just with a different theme.

AEfx said:
If Disney offered a new type of experience, I believe new types of people would come. It's that simple.

If only it was that simple

AEfx said:
Do I wish that Disney would build more rides like PotC, Splash, GMR, or the fantasyland dark rides? You bet - but they seem hell bent on putting "thrills" into the parks and competing on that level.

I'd just like to see them seperate that effort, and do it right. It could change the perception of the whole resort, preserve the "toddler and elderly" appropriateness of the existing parks, and give the rest of the families - the majority in the world - who don't have tiny children or 70 year old grandparents on vacation with them a whole new perspective on Disney magic. Disney has limited it's audience and seemd to be trying to correct it - I just wish they'd go all out and do it right. I can't imagine what some really intense rides done by Disney could be like - it would be unbelivable.

AEfx

But why would this make any sense? It would only be 1 park to appeal to this market. Would enough people come to Orlando, with all of the expense involved in a long distance trip, for 1 park, if the other parks are not of their interest? If they are not coming now (which is what you are saying......the guests are not people that would currently visit Orlando due to the current makeup of the attractions) 1 park, that is all it will take, and they will suddenly want to spend a ton of money to visit this city that they were never interested in before....and they would have nothing else to do, as nothing else is of their interest.

It is not like the current parks are being overrun by thrillrides either.....The MK has added SGE, Wishes, Philharmagic, Buzz, Timekeeper, redone the Tiki Room, added the Aladdin Spinner, added (and got rid of) the Lion King show and AE, and redone toontown in the last 10 years, they have not added a single "thrill ride"....the last thing even close was Splash Mt.....which is very gentle.

speck76

Mightymoc said:
I find this thread very interesting and offer the following:

From a marketing perspective, Disney must choose their primary customer demographic to target. They have chosen (wisely, IMHO) the family market, particularly with small children. Good choice here - young children require at least one adult with money to spend. Young children beget memorable occasions that beget loose purse strings. Thus, the money is spent. Going after the teen, "thrill-seeker" market gets you a customer base that is both fickle and largely short of the kind of cash piles that a theme park requires for big success. If you build a big coaster this year, somebody will build a bigger coaster next year. If the thrill is the "hook," then somebody will simply build a better "hook." If the "hook" is the overall experience, the competition will be extremely hard-pressed to overcome that competitive advantage on short notice. Overall experience begets multiple night stays and more money spent. Thrill rides are better left to the day-trip regional parks.

Keeping the attendance figures in the US....

1 Magic Kingdom
- Orlando, Florida 15.2m
(+8%) (added SGE late in year, Wishes and Philharmagic year prior)
2 Disneyland
- Anaheim, California 13.4m
(+5%)
3 Epcot
- Orlando, Florida 9.4m
(+9%) (added NOTHING, but MS opened year prior)
4 Disney-MGM Studios
- Orlando, Florida 8.3m
(+5%) (added NOTHING)
5 Disney's Animal Kingdom
- Orlando, Florida 7.8m
(+7%) (added NOTHING)
6 Universal Studios Florida
- Orlando, Florida 6.7m
(+14%) (added The Mummy, added HHN)
7 Islands of Adventure
- Orlando, Florida 6.3m
(+13%) (split HHN w/ USF)
8 Disney's California Adventure
- Anaheim, California 5.6m
(+6%)
9 Sea World Orlando
- Orlando, Florida 5.6m
(+4%) (added Waterfront shops)
10 Universal Studios Hollywood
- Universal City, California 5.0m
(+8%)
11 Adventuredome
- Las Vegas, Nevada 4.4m
(+2%)
12 Busch Gardens Tampa
- Tampa, Florida 4.1m
(-5%) (added NOTHING)
13 Sea World San Diego
- San Diego, California 4.0m
(0%)
14 Knott's Berry Farm
- Buena Park, California 3.6m
(+3%)
15 Paramount's Kings Island
- Kings Mill, Ohio 3.5m
(+7%)
16 Paramount Canada's Wonderland
- Vaughan, Ontario 3.4m
(+30%)
17 Cedar Point
- Sandusky, Ohio 3.2m
(-4%)
18 Morey's Piers
- Wildwood, New Jersey 3.1m
(-4%)
19 Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk
- Santa Cruz, California 3.0m
(0%)
20 Six Flags Great Adventure
- Jackson, New Jersey 2.8m
(0%)
21 Six Flags Magic Mountain
- Valencia, California 2.7m
(-2%)
22 Camp Snoopy (Mall of America)
- Bloomington, Minnesota 2.6m
(+5%)
23 Hersheypark
- Hershey, Pennsylvania 2.5m
(-2%)
24 Busch Gardens Williamsburg
- Williamsburg, Virginia 2.4m
(0%)
25 Six Flags Great America
- Gurnee, Illinois 2.3m
(0%)
37 Dorney Park
- Allentown, Pennsylvania 1.4m
(+1%)
44 Knoebels
- Elysburg, Pennsylvania 1.3m
(+3%)
Source: Amusement Business

speck76

If you look at the top 5 "thrill parks" on the list (in terms of repuation and thrill ride count) their total attendance is only 14.5million.....not even up to MK levels. Between these parks, they have 69 coasters. Also, the ONLY park that grew attendance last year was Kings Island....and they have been adding attractions geared to what.....THE FAMILY.

- Kings Mill, Ohio 3.5m
(+7%)

17 Cedar Point
- Sandusky, Ohio 3.2m
(-4%)

(0%)

(-2%)

- Gurnee, Illinois 2.3m
(0%)

Chape19714

I heard rumers that six flags was to open in orlando, but i guess not. sorry to open a new can of worms. I have heard that the 5th gate for WDW looks extrememly impresive, although i have not seen them myself. Interesting...we will see.

Mightymoc

Speck,

Thanks for the added statistics.

Keeping the attendance figures in the US....

1 Magic Kingdom
- Orlando, Florida 15.2m
(+8%) (added SGE late in year, Wishes and Philharmagic year prior)
2 Disneyland
- Anaheim, California 13.4m
(+5%)
3 Epcot
- Orlando, Florida 9.4m
(+9%) (added NOTHING, but MS opened year prior)
4 Disney-MGM Studios
- Orlando, Florida 8.3m
(+5%) (added NOTHING)
5 Disney's Animal Kingdom
- Orlando, Florida 7.8m
(+7%) (added NOTHING)
6 Universal Studios Florida
- Orlando, Florida 6.7m
(+14%) (added The Mummy, added HHN)
7 Islands of Adventure
- Orlando, Florida 6.3m
(+13%) (split HHN w/ USF)
8 Disney's California Adventure
- Anaheim, California 5.6m
(+6%)
9 Sea World Orlando
- Orlando, Florida 5.6m
(+4%) (added Waterfront shops)
10 Universal Studios Hollywood
- Universal City, California 5.0m
(+8%)
11 Adventuredome
- Las Vegas, Nevada 4.4m
(+2%)
12 Busch Gardens Tampa
- Tampa, Florida 4.1m
(-5%) (added NOTHING)
13 Sea World San Diego
- San Diego, California 4.0m
(0%)
14 Knott's Berry Farm
- Buena Park, California 3.6m
(+3%)
- Kings Mill, Ohio 3.5m
(+7%)
16 Paramount Canada's Wonderland
- Vaughan, Ontario 3.4m
(+30%)
17 Cedar Point
- Sandusky, Ohio 3.2m
(-4%)
18 Morey's Piers
- Wildwood, New Jersey 3.1m
(-4%)
19 Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk
- Santa Cruz, California 3.0m
(0%)
(0%)
(-2%)
22 Camp Snoopy (Mall of America)
- Bloomington, Minnesota 2.6m
(+5%)
23 Hersheypark
- Hershey, Pennsylvania 2.5m
(-2%)
24 Busch Gardens Williamsburg
- Williamsburg, Virginia 2.4m
(0%)
- Gurnee, Illinois 2.3m
(0%)
37 Dorney Park
- Allentown, Pennsylvania 1.4m
(+1%)
44 Knoebels
- Elysburg, Pennsylvania 1.3m
(+3%)
Source: Amusement Business

It is quite remarkable that even with the high profile additions at USF and IOA, that the least-attended Disney World Park is still more than a million visitors ahead of the top performing Universal Park.

1disneydood

The families already come to WDW. Do you think anoter family park would bring in more families? AFAIK, that is why AK has such high numbers. They don't come for AK then decide to do the others. They come for MK then decide to do the others since it's the same "resort".

Now if you put up a thrilling park, then it would pull in thrillseekers. It may pull in more thrillseekers than another family park would pull in families. The families already come to WDW, they have them hook, line, and sinker. Why does another park have to pull in billions of more tourists? I say they can raise admission by $2, use the extra money to build a thrilling park, thus thinning out the already overcrowded parks.

If someone dosen't want the scary rides then don't go. I know some families avoid AK and EPCOT.

I'm just trying to make a point. I 100% LOVE WDW, and it's rides. Although I certainly wouldn't mind something different, something like crap your pants it's so much fun type of park.

speck76

Chape19714 said:
I heard rumers that six flags was to open in orlando, but i guess not. sorry to open a new can of worms. I have heard that the 5th gate for WDW looks extrememly impresive, although i have not seen them myself. Interesting...we will see.

Six Flags can not even afford their own parks....and since Premier purchased the company, they have been taking over, not building parks.

Six Flags currently currently has twice as much debt as revenue, and has been running a 10% operating margin........10%!!!! Even Cedar Fair runs over 21%....

Also, Six Flags will lose at least $.50 per share this year, probably next year too....with stock at $4...half of what it was this time last year, it is only time when this company is no longer around.

speck76

1disneydood said:
The families already come to WDW. Do you think anoter family park would bring in more families? AFAIK, that is why AK has such high numbers. They don't come for AK then decide to do the others. They come for MK then decide to do the others since it's the same "resort".

Now if you put up a thrilling park, then it would pull in thrillseekers. It may pull in more thrillseekers than another family park would pull in families. The families already come to WDW, they have them hook, line, and sinker. Why does another park have to pull in billions of more tourists? I say they can raise admission by $2, use the extra money to build a thrilling park, thus thinning out the already overcrowded parks.

That is the $2billion question.....Will it work? Will it pull in thrillseekers? Are there enough thrillseekers that would visit Orlando if it had 1 thrilling park. Are the average thrillseekers smart enough to know the difference between a Disney thrill ride and one from Cedar Point? Are thrillseekers wealthy enough to support a park, do they even have enough money to get to Orlando? Will the thill park attract enough people to keep it profitable, and if it does not, how will it hurt the other Disney parks (the money has to come from somewhere)?

brich

I don't really think there is much that could hurt Disney, from a competitor standpoint. Thrill rides traditionally have been week in the theming department. Not many rollercaosters have much in the way of theming. So these thrill ride parks just don't stand up to the total immersion experience one gets at a Disney park. Plus, Disney has so much entertainment medium out there to associate their rides with. I just don't see how a thrill park could match up to a theme park of the Disney magnitude. Compare RnRC to any other coaster out there. Although RnRC does not put the fear of God in most of us like some of these other insane caosters, it has a more mass appeal in it's theming and over all experience. Name another entertainment organization, aside from Universal, that has the entertainment catalog that could compete with a family oriented theme park? :)

darthokeefe

You guys are missing the Boat entirely........Yee said they will be FORCED

STARWARS THEME PARK..........YOU HEARD IT HERE FIRST.

Lands of ENDOR, Courascant (Indoor), Tatooine, Cloud City, and the DEATH STAR

Computer Magic

darthokeefe said:
STARWARS THEME PARK..........YOU HEARD IT HERE FIRST.

Lands of ENDOR, Courascant (Indoor), Tatooine, Cloud City, and the DEATH STAR
This has my vote but it can be done in MGM. In addition Give me the Muppets expansion.

Computer Magic

Connor002 said:
all i can say is that whatever happens, the entertainment market in orlando is getting a little crowded
competition is good for guest. Better attractions and better prices. Companies are fighting for our dollars

Figment1986

Computer Magic said:
competition is good for guest. Better attractions and better prices. Companies are fighting for our dollars

well i wouldn't say better prices... except at BGT....

(i predict raise to pay off new coaster soon..)

but usually once one raises they all raise...

but they are fighting fir us.. (heck there are WDW billbords near BGT.... in Tampa...)

speck76

Computer Magic said:

unfortunately, there is always a loser...

Boardwalk and Baseball....GONE, could not compete

Splendid China....GONE could not compete

look at the hotels that went under during the last downturn.....2 on Hotel Plaza Blvd alone......at least 15 in the city...

Competition will only work to better the product to a point....the point of saturation....and we are there.

Universal has not made money since IOA was built, until last year.....they were purchased by Vivendi (that went bankrupt) and now GE.....a place can only lose money for so long before the investor has to cut its losses.

If competition gets too high, and parks suffer....we suffer....prices go up, staff is cut, capital is cut.......

lilphil6487

speck76 said:
But are there enough people in you position to make it work? And will a park be successful enough if it is used as a daycare center for bratty teens?

If WDW built a thrill based park, it would probably be more successful that IOA, or anyone else's attempt.....but look at the current roster...MGM is the most thrilling park at WDW, and it is #3 in attendance, quickly approaching #4.

Teens do not have the finances to make a park as expensive as a Disney park is successful.

Ok, i just wanna say that this whole thing about teens being bratty and not having the finances is a generalization. First of all, have you ever seen how many teens are at disney, or how many people a little older but still close in age are there. I am 18, i go every year. I love it. Just because one teen didnt like it and acted bratty doesnt mean that all teens are brats. And for the finances thing, this is untrue. I work at a place that sells fried chicken for about 7 sumthin an hour, and i go to school, but i am still able to pay for my week long vacation to disney world this summer with my girlfriend, who also loves disney. And yes we are staying in disney at the pop century. Now i dont mean to start trouble, but i dont like it when people generalize and stereotype, especially, about people my age.

AEfx

speck76 said:
IOA has NEVER had good attendance......it is not about repeat visitation, as not that many people have been there in the first place. In the year 2000, considered the best year ever in Orlando tourism, the park had just over 3million guests....less than seasonal parks like Cedar Point and Kings Island.

When the park was BRAND NEW, people were not interested.

/sigh

Can't you see past IOA, Speck? I never said it did. However, people are satisified with one visit to IOA and don't feel the need to come back year after year. Not all of those people pounced on the park when it opened. Regardless, you are making arguments against things I did not say. IOA is not the be all, end all park. And, as I and others have pointed out, IOA is not a "thrill" park. Two moderately exciting roller coasters don't qualify it as a "thrill" park.

speck76 said:
But could Disney create this "Disney Thrilling Experience park" you speak of and actually have it be a success.

The rides you mentioned were all huge investments.....how many of these rides would need to be built in a park to have it not be a half-a$$ed effort? 10, 12? So now, you are looking at (just for the main rides) over a $1Billion investment, not including the park itself, and all of the supporting attractions and infrastructure.....so, Disney builds a $2Billion park for a market that "could" exist.

Who knows if Disney could have it be a success. Not I and not you. And again, you are spouting useless figures. Disney could have an amazing park with a half-dozen of those rides because a) thrill rides have great re-ride potential, and b) the park would not operate in a vaccum it would simply be a part of the resort.

speck76 said:
Doesn't a thrill park have an even narrower target audiance than something non-thrilling? Currently, anyone can ride the majority of rides at WDW, it is up to them if they want to or not. If you build intence attractions, suddenly, it is not a choice. MS is a good example....not everyone can ride that attraction. So the ride is already limited in that way....so then, after that, the decision of "do I want to ride this or not" comes into play......If only 80% of the visitors CAN ride the attraction, and only 90% of those WANT to ride the attraction, the size of your audiance has already been limited.

This is what you just don't get. By designing for "everyone" they inherently loose the interest of a large group. Again, this definition of "everyone" seems to be toddlers/pre-schoolers and elderly people. That group has VERY little at WDW to do right now, and most would say that NOTHING at WDW qualifies as a true thrill right now.

speck76 said:
I am not saying every attraction should be for every person, I do believe in "something" for everyone, not "everything" for everyone.

Well, right now there isn't "something" for those people. There are a few rides Disney has shoehorned into the parks to appeal to them, but it hasn't been enough.

speck76 said:
Isn't a more diverse park better.....if one can go to a single place, and enjoy both thrills, and relaxing attractions or shows......doesn't that make a more complete experience?

No. It can make for a disjointed one, actually. There are already FOUR parks to serve that purpose. Why make a fifth one that serves EXACTLY the same audience?

Also, there are many young and older people, and everyone in between who loves thrilling rides. And no one says this park can't have shows, etc. - just that the bar would be higher for the inensity of experience provided.

speck76 said:
It "could".....there is no "would". The country as a whole was on a theme-park building spree in the late 60's and early 70's....Why? The baby boomers were coming of age....late teens, early twenties....a huge amount of people in this "target market". So many parks were opened at the same time as WDW, or within a few years....

Thanks for the history lesson, Speck. But again, spouting the mistakes of others is nothing about Disney. Yes, I think a decently done park aimed at a more mature audience COULD do well. I can't garuntee anything - and neither can you. Can you PROVE Disney couldn't do it?

speck76 said:
By building a thrill park, what are they bringing to the area? What is it that East Coast residents really want, and can't get ANYWHERE on the east coast, that a Disney thrill park would bring to them?

A type of experience unavailable elsewhere. A park that would serve as the "weenie" to attract people to the WDW resort and give the other parks chances they wouldn't normally do. Why are you so limited in your thinking?

speck76 said:
AEfx said:
It's just like when people say, "a fifth park wouldn't work because DAK didn't increase attendance". To me, that's like saying you run a restaurant that has six types of steak and you wonder why if you add a seventh type of steak to the menu more people don't come - and in fact it just cannibalized the sales of the other six types of steak. It's pretty obvious - the restaurant is offering something new, but not different. Therefore, it didn't attract a new clinetele, like adding more variety like chicken or fish to the menu would. DAK offered smiliar entertainment to the existing parks, just with a different theme.

If only it was that simple

It is that simple, Speck. DAK offered nothing new in Orlando - it was aimed at the same target audience as the existing parks. It didn't convince anyone that wasn't already a Disney park person to come to Orlando.

That's why it makes no sense when people make the argument that DAK is evidence that WDW couldn't use another park. Anyone that expected DAK to broaden the appeal of WDW hasn't thought it through. Offering more of the same isn't going to bring anyone who wants something different.

speck76 said:
But why would this make any sense? It would only be 1 park to appeal to this market. Would enough people come to Orlando, with all of the expense involved in a long distance trip, for 1 park, if the other parks are not of their interest? If they are not coming now (which is what you are saying......the guests are not people that would currently visit Orlando due to the current makeup of the attractions) 1 park, that is all it will take, and they will suddenly want to spend a ton of money to visit this city that they were never interested in before....and they would have nothing else to do, as nothing else is of their interest.

No, that's not what I said, Speck. I said they had the PERCEPTION that it was a kiddie place. Many of those people do not give WDW the chance right now because they believe everything here is aimed at small children. While the "thrills" at WDW aren't that great right now, there are many attractions people would enjoy if only they gave them a chance. I guess I have more confidence in the parks than you do - they just need a reason to come and give it a chance.

I can give you a great example. I love the GMR - one of the most magical experiences ever created, IMHO. There was a large group of, well, I don't know how to describe them but big, scary, biker dudes in line behind me. I talked to a few of them in line, and they told me they came for RnR and ToT and thought GMR was a "thrill" ride too. I explained to them no, it was slow moving, but a really cool ride and they decided to stay in line. They sat right behind me, and they had so much fun - they loved the gangster scene, and I swear one of them got a tear in their eye in Oz. Here are people that would have never experienced that ride unless they came to MGM for those "thrills" - if someone had told them about the GMR as they were planning their trip and those minor "thrill" rides weren't there to draw them in they would have never come.

The numbers you give for IOA are interesting - but again your statistics fail to take into account practicalities. How many UNIQUE visitors would be a really interesting number to have. For instance, most people who go to WDW spend more than one day at the MK, meaning they are being counted multiple times in that "visitors" number. Many of those people go over to IOA for just a day to do the rides because it's the closest they can get to a more "thrilling" experience. Statistics are usless if you just use them as evidence and don't actually analyze what they mean - and what they don't.

speck76 said:
It is not like the current parks are being overrun by thrillrides either.....The MK has added SGE, Wishes, Philharmagic, Buzz, Timekeeper, redone the Tiki Room, added the Aladdin Spinner, added (and got rid of) the Lion King show and AE, and redone toontown in the last 10 years, they have not added a single "thrill ride"....the last thing even close was Splash Mt.....which is very gentle.

You are talking about the MK, but ignoring all the other parks. MK hasn't had any single, large-scale investments in years.

Look at all the capital investments at the other parks. MGM has built ToT and RnR, most recently adding a "thrilling" stunt show. Epcot has added Test Track, M:S, and Soarin' (which has a broad range of appeal but with the heights and simulation involved can be rather intense). AK is finally making it's first real addition and...it's a roller coaster.

It's very clear that's what Disney's goal is. They want to appeal to the wide range of people who want more intense attractions.

If people don't want to go to this fifth gate they still have four parks to keep them happy. Right now, there is a large market that WDW simply doesn't have enough concntrated attractions for. You seem to disagree as to the value of this market, but I think offering more variety can be nothing but good for WDW. I don't drink, but I don't begrudge Pleasure Island being there. I don't understand why people who don't enjoy more intense rides are so dead set against other people getting something at WDW geared toward them as well.

/shrug

It's clear you don't agree with my opinion, and that's fine. But regurgitating statistics from Google and telling me your perception of the history of theme parks in America isn't going to change my opinion and personal experience that there are a lot of people out there that would enjoy WDW if only they gave it the chance. Travel is picking up everywhere, and WDW could add itself to the destination list for many who ruled it out long ago. You keep saying "it hasn't been done before...it hasn't worked before" well, that's because it wasn't done, and done right. If Walt had listened to people with that attitude, Disneyland would have never been built in the first place.

AEfx

speck76

AEfx said:
I can give you a great example. I love the GMR - one of the most magical experiences ever created, IMHO. There was a large group of, well, I don't know how to describe them but big, scary, biker dudes in line behind me. I talked to a few of them in line, and they told me they came for RnR and ToT and thought GMR was a "thrill" ride too. I explained to them no, it was slow moving, but a really cool ride and they decided to stay in line. They sat right behind me, and they had so much fun - they loved the gangster scene, and I swear one of them got a tear in their eye in Oz. Here are people that would have never experienced that ride unless they came to MGM for those "thrills" - if someone had told them about the GMR as they were planning their trip and those minor "thrill" rides weren't there to draw them in they would have never come.
AEfx

I think you just proved one of my points......

It is better to have more diverse parks, to have both thrill and non-thrill in the same park.

The bikers came to MGM for ToT and RnRC, they also rode (and enjoyed) GMR....

It is pretty easy to ride an attraction when you ahve already paid admission to the park. If these people would have come for a "thrill" park, what is the chance they would have paid additional $$ to visit the non-thrill parks?

So, Disney builds this new park, and attracts these hordes of people you claim are just waiting on the edge of their seats for a thrill park in Orlando....how does that grow the overall resort?

Does Disney want a park that will not help DAK, MGM, Epcot, and MK? They certainly do not want one that will hurt those parks....which could happen. Guests that currently visit the 4 parks could bypass the current "minor" thrills and skip the existing parks altogether, and only visit the new park.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom