Interesting Rumor Straight From MiceAge

speck76

imagineer boy said:
Money or ability? Look at Patrick, he goes to WDW once a week. They can always get a season pass, and if they can't travel there without transportation, their parents can drive them.

I too have an AP...

Ask Patrick how often he spends the entire day in the park, and eats 3 meals on property...probably not too often.

Also, parents drive....WDW does not get that $8 parking charge from you.

ssidiouss@mac.c

STAR WARS PARK!!

I am so there...

A big death star the size of spaceship earth in the middle?! Holy hell!!!

Lands themed after planets in the star wars universe?!

Jedis.. storm troopers... darth vader parade?!!!!!

and the RIDES.. ohhHHHHH MAMMA!!!

KevinYee

Just popping in here briefly to note that my article presents the information about the four land purchases, and the resulting speculation that Disney might well decide to build a fifth park anyway if a certain company jumps into this, as if they were quotes from a source. That wasn't just some reporter's artiface -- they really WERE quotes. Those aren't my words; the speculation that Disney might be "forced" to build a fifth park came from the source.

I did see Disney's recent announcement that they wouldn't be building any more parks for a while, and for the record, I'd ALSO rather see them focus on improving existing parks than adding new ones. Even if it means not seeing the 5th park and its neat theme ever come to light.

Sorry, I can't address specifics about either the rumored park theme or the company supposedly buying land and considering its own theme park. Just wanted to clear up that it wasn't MY speculation about Disney's hand being forced.

Woody13

KevinYee said:
Sorry, I can't address specifics about either the rumored park theme or the company supposedly buying land and considering its own theme park. Just wanted to clear up that it wasn't MY speculation about Disney's hand being forced.
We fully understand that quoting wild speculations from anonymous sources is the foundation of your reports.

KevinYee

I would not characterize the speculations as "wild," especially since this source knows whereof he speaks. Nor would I say that the speculations form the "foundation" of my reports. (In general, my columns are not news or gossip columns, they are perspective and commentary columns.)

That you use such words to describe my articles implies a tone of hostility. I understand completely. These aren't my boards, and I recognize my voice is not welcome here.

Chape19714

speck76 said:
I too have an AP...

Ask Patrick how often he spends the entire day in the park, and eats 3 meals on property...probably not too often.

Also, parents drive....WDW does not get that $8 parking charge from you.
No...but Disney still gets the $8 for parking, so why does it matter to them WHO it comes from. The Teens are the ones who are going to the park, so why does it matter to Disney WHO is paying for the trip, the whole trip is because of the teens!

And...I live locally, am a teen, and go to Disney a Minimum of 4 times a year with friends, eat 2-3 meals in the parks, and spend most of the other money I have on Gifts, Snacks, etc. I also go into the parks alone probally 10+ times a year, and eat 3 meals per day in the parks, get gifts for friends, etc.

Disney makes thier money on Passholders, if they didn't, they would not offer the pass...even to teens.

Also...Disney Magic Music Days attracts many teens to stay in the parks due to the free admission. It is a great experance, and because teens get an extra day after they preform for free...they are going to spend thier money on food, souvineers, etc.

And Grad Nites! Some Schools coming in from out of town stay on property due to grad nites, and as a result, spend extra days in the DISNEY parks because they are on property.

speck76

Overall it is not a large enough part of the visiting public.......it is still just a small segment...and they still spend less per capita than the average family or couple.

netenyahoo

I would love a Star Wars park or at least a huge chunk of MGM devoted to Star Wars. A Star Wars park would be a paradise for fans. Disney would have to be careful to make sure there is enough to interest females too. Shopping probably wouldn't be enough to draw them in.

Rosso11

speck76 said:
Overall it is not a large enough part of the visiting public.......it is still just a small segment...and they still spend less per capita than the average family or couple.

I really can't see how teens are not a large enough part of the visiting public. I worked in the parks, they are always crawling with teenagers especially on the weekends and at MGM and they do spend a lot of money. They are not nearly as cautious about thier spending habits. When I worked at the MK I would always have adults complaining and arguing about prices. This never happened with teenagers. They would always pay Disney's prices without a peep. Ever since Michael Eisner joined Disney he has been trying to attract teenagers, going back to his own teenage son complaining about how the parks were to kiddy and greenlighting Splash Mountain because of his teenage sons advise. Just look at all of the e-ticket rides that have opened since then that are geared towards teenagers. Lets also not forget in many families it is the teenagers that are the most vocal about family decisions. It might be the parents final say but growing up in house with teenagers has made me realize in many families its the teenagers that will voice their opinion and they make sure everyone knows it. If a teenager is very much apposed to going on a Disney vacation because he sees it as to kiddy there is a good chance the family will choose another location. Disney knows this and this is another big reason they are trying so hard to appeal to the teens.

speck76

Rosso11 said:
I really can't see how teens are not a large enough part of the visiting public. I worked in the parks, they are always crawling with teenagers especially on the weekends and at MGM and they do spend a lot of money. They are not nearly as cautious about thier spending habits. When I worked at the MK I would always have adults complaining and arguing about prices. This never happened with teenagers. They would always pay Disney's prices without a peep. Ever since Michael Eisner joined Disney he has been trying to attract teenagers, going back to his own teenage son complaining about how the parks were to kiddy and greenlighting Splash Mountain because of his teenage sons advise. Just look at all of the e-ticket rides that have opened since then that are geared towards teenagers. Lets also not forget in many families it is the teenagers that are the most vocal about family decisions. It might be the parents final say but growing up in house with teenagers has made me realize in many families its the teenagers that will voice their opinion and they make sure everyone knows it. If a teenager is very much apposed to going on a Disney vacation because he sees it as to kiddy there is a good chance the family will choose another location. Disney knows this and this is another big reason they are trying so hard to appeal to the teens.

Appealing to teens is one thing......

The vast majority of teens do not have access to the park unless with their family.....

Woody13

KevinYee said:
I would not characterize the speculations as "wild," especially since this source knows whereof he speaks. Nor would I say that the speculations form the "foundation" of my reports. (In general, my columns are not news or gossip columns, they are perspective and commentary columns.)

That you use such words to describe my articles implies a tone of hostility. I understand completely. These aren't my boards, and I recognize my voice is not welcome here.
Well, let's see. You quoted an anonymous source that said, "There are actually four big parcels of land that have been bought recently."

In reference to the last big land parcel you quoted your anonymous source as stating, "And there's the last one... which would completely upset the entertainment balance around here. I still think [THIS MYSTERY COMPANY] is going to get cold feet. But if THEY do go forward and build, Disney be FORCED to have their own "fifth gate" open within 4-6 years."

So, to review, we have an anonymous source talking about a mystery company that will get cold feet. Yet if they go ahead with their plan (not even discussed) this anonymous source wildly speculates that Disney will be forced to open a fifth gate within 4 to 6 years.

Well Kevin, based upon that information I must defer to what SpokkerJones said over at MiceChat:
Kevin Yee is the Al Lutz of Walt Disney World:

SpokkerJones said:
Now all you need to do is start posting pictures of trash cans in need of paint and you'll be all set.

It's a joke you see.

Chape19714

Rosso11 said:

I couldn't have said it better myself!

THANKS!

Think about it, go to the Rock n' Roller Coaster at MGM, and see how many teens there are!! That seems to be the biggest area of them, ToT is also in the running. California Screamin' is another ride where the Teens seem to outnumber. There is a huge group of them! And, parents feel comfortable (well, sometimes) letting teens go into the parks without them. While they are back at the pool, Teens are on the Rides, or sometimes at the pool with them. Either way, teens do spend a good amount of money. If a local family goes with a teen and her friend to camp at Fort Wilderness, and the teen and friend go into the park while the parents are back at the campground, the teens are spending more money because of meals, while the parents are making PB&J. It is a good crowd to aim for. Take Mission:Space, many of the people on the commercial are TEENS. Same Goes with "Top 7 things to see and do at Walt Disney World" hosted by A young lady who is probally in her teens! (if not a teen, she can't be any older than 20 something) So disney is trying to reach out to teens! Splash Mountain is another example. And when Disney opened EPCOT, someone said "I don't want to learn, i want RIDES!" and, before long, there were rides! So the teen market is out there. Thanks Rosso11!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom