Inside WDW new space mountain 11/10/09

Hummer1676

I cannot stress enough' If anyone has the time or money go to Disneyland to see what we are missing.

Why do we compare the 2 rides at DL and WDW? They are totally different and don't need to be the same. IMHO I think WDW Space is way better then DL. The ride experience is more intense as the dips and drops are much steeper. WDW doesn't have the nice spaceship inside but overall i love the original attraction and hope that through this refurb they darken the inside as it was to bright.

Just my 2 cents.

WDW1974

It amuses me how excited everyone is getting over this modest refurb. I swear sometimes I feel the same way Cartman did in the "Elementary School Musical" episode from South Park: "Well, I'm out guys. If this is what's cool now, I think I'm done. I no longer have any connection to this world. I'm gonna go home and kill myself. Goodbye, friends."

To me you might as well get all excited over a new Lamp post. For #%#$^#$@ sake it's a new queue with video games and a new ceiling for the load area! How is that anywhere near as exciting as Disneyland Paris or Disneyland's Space Mountain? Disneyland's is smooth, has superior effects and also has on-board audio. Our ride is still basically the same piece of bumpy crap it has been for the last 15 years. I say 15 because that is about the time it was due for a real rehab before it became stale and old news.

This is exactly why TDO gets away so few new projects of any worth! People keep praising them for mediocrity.

BINGO!!!

Defenders of Mediocrity. Where have I heard that before?

I am not excited by the fact that Disney removed asbestos, replaced a few sections of track, repainted, enclosed the queue, and generally did a rehab ... not anymore than I am by them paving over a theater for an exec parking lot ... or by a new planter ... or by new urinals ... or by them adding hours back into an operating schedule after they've cut so much.

It really gets old in a hurry.

Space MTN has been due for a total gutting and rebuilding since the mid-late 90s. Something truly worthy of Disney and the whole Space Mountain concept/mythos. And I'm supposed to be excited by ... by ... this?!?!

Sorry, I remember when Space opened and it was considered a WORLD CLASS ride/attraction. Now, it is only based on fanboi nostalgia ...

In the past 13 months, I've ridden versions in Anaheim, Hong Kong and Paris multiple times and they all are much superior. WDW has had a stale joke. Now, we'll have a clean, repainted, darker, asbestos free stale version.

Excuse my lack of fanboi drool.

RobGraves

all the mediocrity praisers are the reason why everything is going downhill...

"awwww well at least they kinda tried, its good enough"

its like giving the special kid working the greeter spot at wal-mart a diploma because he showed up and tried....

Why in the world would WDW gut the inside of a still popular E ticket ride?? It doesn't make any sense. If you have an attraction that still has waits of 45 min or more on most days why would you change it. The General Public is perfectly happy with it.

RSoxNo1

I can understand being dissapointed by not getting audio, but to me its not that big a deal. If audio is so important than why not ride with an ipod with the DL soundtrack or just go to DL. I can understand why you and others would be dissapointed in that. But the way I look at it is they could have done nothing and then people here would have complained, and then they decide to do something and people here still want to complain. Just be a little thankful they did something to it. And as I said somewhere already in this thread and this is imo, the better space mt. just got even better.

In my opinion, Space Mountain in Disneyland is the best themed roller coaster I've ever experienced. This includes both versions of The Mummy, Expedition Everest, Both stateside versions of Big Thunder Mountain, and Rock 'n' Roller Coaster. As coasters, none of these are particularly strong - Six Flags has better coasters. But theming adds to the experience and the thrill. A large component of that is the onboard audio on Space Mountain in Disneyland.

Atomicmickey

Why in the world would WDW gut the inside of a still popular E ticket ride?? It doesn't make any sense. If you have an attraction that still has waits of 45 min or more on most days why would you change it. The General Public is perfectly happy with it.

Bingo.

And furthermore, after this refurb (which no one here even knows the extent of yet, quite humourous, that), well these people are complaining. If they had gutted it and given us a whole new ride, well, then those people would be complaining. There's no way to win. This is why Disney "doesn't listen" to fanboys, because it's a lose-lose situation. Good thing we (myself included) are such an infinitesmally small part of the equation.

Those that are all upset over what could have been never stop to consider--they could have ruined it for you. It could be as simple as, you don't like the song they have playing during the on-board audio. Ding! Bad refurb. JII anyone?

Have we not loved Space Mountain all these years?

In any event, all the arm waving will change to different arm waving once we actually see what they have done in there.

Here all along I thought some people on this board actually knew what was going on, but couldn't share. Now it turns out that no one did. Interesting.

All I know is, I'm here, Space Mountain's there. It's about to re-open, and I wish I could ride it. Everyone here feels the same, I'd wager. Then we can split off into a complain bunch, and a "let's ride it again" bunch.

disneysroyal411

Bingo.

And furthermore, after this refurb (which no one here even knows the extent of yet, quite humourous, that), well these people are complaining. If they had gutted it and given us a whole new ride, well, then those people would be complaining. There's no way to win. This is why Disney "doesn't listen" to fanboys, because it's a lose-lose situation. Good thing we (myself included) are such an infinitesmally small part of the equation.

Those that are all upset over what could have been never stop to consider--they could have ruined it for you. It could be as simple as, you don't like the song they have playing during the on-board audio. Ding! Bad refurb. JII anyone?

In any event, all the arm waving will change to different arm waving once we actually see what they have done in there.

Here all along I thought some people on this board actually knew what was going on, but couldn't share. Now it turns out that no one did. Interesting.

All I know is, I'm here, Space Mountain's there. It's about to re-open, and I wish I could ride it. Everyone here feels the same, I'd wager. Then we can split off into a complain bunch, and a "let's ride it again" bunch.

Tell me if I'm getting this right because I think I know what you mean. WDI has learned not to listen to us because when they do what we want we don't look at the positives but for the negatives. So when they give us a SM refurb like they did are we going to be happy or not because we wanted new track, but if they did that then we might be upset about it or something.

Am I right?

Tell me if I'm getting this right because I think I know what you mean. WDI has learned not to listen to us because when they do what we want we don't look at the positives but for the negatives. So when they give us a SM refurb like they did are we going to be happy or not because we wanted new track, but if they did that then we might be upset about it or something.

Am I right?

They've never listeneed to us in the first place:wave:
We are such a miniority that we would not make or break their ticket sales. Plus your absolutely right most of us would just end up complaining about what could have been.

LOVE THE REFURB SO FAR!!! (why complain)

Atomicmickey, why are you making so much sense to me? (supposed insiders :brick:)

Skyway

This is what I find so insane. SM gets a (much-needed) rehab, and people complain "they could have done more."

And yet, no one ever complains that Big Thunder Mountain Railroad has never had a single significant improvement in its nearly 30-year existence (other than a few fresh coats of paint some queue reconfigurations). No new animatronics. No state-of-the-art special effects. No on-board audio. Certainly no new trains or completely rebuilt track. No major lighting upgrades. No on-ride photos.

Why the double standard?

Some might say "We've seen what Disney has done for other SM in other parks, so we know what they're capable of." Well, that just proves my point. Disney has the skills to make BTMRR the most mindblowing, headline-grabbing coaster in the world. And yet no one is demanding that, or even suggesting it.

The reason, I'm sure, is that people love BTMRR as it is.

And people loved SM at it was (other than the legitimate complaints of a congested entry plaza, unmaintained and under-utilized queue, light intrusion, broken effects, and rough patches of track).

Yes, Disney could have completely gutted SM and replaced it with identical clones from their other parks. But why? Remember, DL was forced to rebuild their SM after experiments with on-board audio basically destroyed their original track (If that engineering mistake had not occurred, I highly doubt DL would have received the extensive make-over it did. Unlike WDW, which has perfectly adequate track and trains, DL had no choice but to rebuild their track, and scrap their defective trains, giving them the opportunity to add modern on-board audio. They would not have gone to that expense without being forced to). Paris and Hong Kong were originally built brand-new with more modern technology, so that's not a fair comparison. That leaves Tokyo--- the poster child for lavish spending to improve guest experience--- and it appears their recent SM rehab was significantly less extensive than WDW's.

This is a classic example of "Dammed if you do. Dammed if you don't."

benji

I'm excited about the new que and the speical effects. And I think that every Space Mountain doesn't have to be the same. I love WDW's Space Moutain. Besides the cool speical effects I think that the roller coaster ride itself is really fun. Not every roller coaster has to be the biggest, the fastest, and the tallest to be the best coaster ride. WDW's Space Mountain is also unique because it has two coaster tracks with slightly different coaster experience. I like to head to the right side when you exit the tunnel que, it has a little bigger drop. When the Haunted Masion opened after it's refurb the changes where small but it made a big difference in the attraction. I also think the small changes in Space Mountain will work out in a big way when we see everything in person. Oh ya, the SM court yard looks really great. It almost looks toy like and almost of what a childs dream of space is. I just love it. WDW's SM has to be my favorite coaster attraction!

Atomicmickey

Atomicmickey, why are you making so much sense to me? (supposed insiders :brick:)

Do I not, usually? :shrug:

I dunno. Most times I can't figure myself out. All I know is, I'd like
to be in WDW with the chance to ride the rickety old poorly refurbed worst Space Mountain in the world that could have been great but at least has clean toilets by it, for a short while, anyway. Oh, and a planter.

raven

I'm excited about the new que and the speical effects. And I think that every Space Mountain doesn't have to be the same. I love WDW's Space Moutain. Besides the cool speical effects I think that the roller coaster ride itself is really fun. Not every roller coaster has to be the biggest, the fastest, and the tallest to be the best coaster ride. WDW's Space Mountain is also unique because it has two coaster tracks with slightly different coaster experience. I like to head to the right side when you exit the tunnel que, it has a little bigger drop. When the Haunted Masion opened after it's refurb the changes where small but it made a big difference in the attraction. I also think the small changes in Space Mountain will work out in a big way when we see everything in person. Oh ya, the SM court yard looks really great. It almost looks toy like and almost of what a childs dream of space is. I just love it. WDW's SM has to be my favorite coaster attraction!

That's just a myth.

UberMouse

Everyone is always going to want more. The thing is, they did make some minor improvements that may or may not be what everyone will like. However, at least they are doing something to bring the ride more up to date. I am still up in the air until Dec. 5th comes around and I can see things for myself. I really just hope more than anything that the Star Tunnel music is still in place. That would be my greatest letdown. Look at it this way, with the direction things have been going they could have replaced the control tower with a giant Buzz Lightyear that directs you to one line or another.

-Jeff

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
I for one am happy we are keeping our SM. It was always great fun, just needed some TLC.

One thing I don't get is why so many are annoyed about it. Why change what is a great ride? Traditions are fun, we do not need a clone of DLs SM. Ours is great.

RSoxNo1

I think that prior to the refurbishment Space Mountain was in a state of disrepair that lowered it's status out of the E-Ticket range. I expect it to be back up to that level after the refurbishment.

Pete C

I will reserve judgment until I ride it, but what I am expecting is the same herky-jerky, rough ride that we have all been experiencing for the last few decades. That is the main problem here...it FEELS old. Now it will just feel old in a darker room. I applaud them for enclosing the queue, something I was highly in favor of becuase I could basically see the entire environment around me during the ending portion of the ride. The ride is a good ride, and I will always love Space Mountain. However, just replacing all the track would have made the ride SO MUCH MORE enjoyable. They were not planning to change the layout regardless. I just hope this refub is a stage 1 of 2. Perhaps the changes made this time were more important, and at some point in a few years they will finally replace the track.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Bingo.

The other part of that is that NONE of us know the actual logistics of replacing the whole track like DL has....I mean the mountain is already built, trying to replace the entire track with a different layout could have been a monumental task, and I wouldn't doubt at all that there would be many delays in re-opening if that had happened.

I would have been happy with the same ride layout, with on-board audio and a few of the same effects that the other SM's have.....so far the only thing we seem to know about is no on-board audio...still I'll wait and see what it's like.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom