Inside WDW new space mountain 11/10/09

djkidkaz

Why change the track? That is part of the rides nostalgia and charm! Alot of people like SM because it reminds them of coasters from their childhood. If you replace the whole track, you take away that "old coaster feel" element that so many love. Theres not many places left in the world where you can even ride one of those old coasters. Most of them had to come down due to parts not being available anymore and the high maintenance costs.

If the complaint is that it should be more current/ futuristic like todays space travel, then what about a ride like Jungle Cruise? If I leave tomorrow for a REAL Jungle Cruise in South America, there not going to be playing Big Band music on the way to the jungle, it would be something current. So I guess that the Jungle Cruise queue music should change as well to match current music. :shrug: If Jungle Cruise can keep its nostalgia of the past, then why not Space Mountain?

Space Mountain is a ride COMPLETELY in the dark and now with the enclosed queue its going to be pitch black in there. We've already had numerous reports that the projections are now HD quality and I can confirm this myself as I've seen it from the TTA. So I guess as long as they've done something to the launch and re-entry tunnels then every part of Space Mountain that guests can actually SEE has had some upgrades, yet its kept its nostalgic charm by keeping the track that most people love.

Looks like another win in my book.

Been there, seen it. Not nearly as impressive as you're making it out to be.

Have to agree with you. When I went this spring I was very disappointed. The only thing better in Disneyland I felt was Indy and Pirates. Space Mountain was alright, but I couldnt help but think even though theming was nice it was just lacking?

Pete C

Why change the track? That is part of the rides nostalgia and charm! Alot of people like SM because it reminds them of coasters from their childhood. If you replace the whole track, you take away that "old coaster feel" element that so many love. Theres not many places left in the world where you can even ride one of those old coasters. Most of them had to come down due to parts not being available anymore and the high maintenance costs.

Totally disagree. This is what wooden coasters are for...not steel coasters. Space Mountain's track and trains, originally created for the Matterhorn, were invented to provide a smooth ride that was to be the future of rollercoasters. This design was literally THE first steel coaster design in history. Never was it intended to feel rough or "old school". I am usually not a "what Walt would have wanted" guy, because none of us can speak for him, but that is what he originally wanted with these rides to begin with. So, it would only hold true that he would want the same today for these rides...a smooth ride experience. We are not even talking about plussing here...just bringing the ride to a state in which it was originally intended with modern technology.

Pete C

Have to agree with you. When I went this spring I was very disappointed. The only thing better in Disneyland I felt was Indy and Pirates. Space Mountain was alright, but I couldnt help but think even though theming was nice it was just lacking?

I guess that's why we all have opinions. I think Disneyland's SM makes ours look and feel completely and totally outdated. I would take theirs in a heartbeat over ours. Now, a totally replaced track with our layout plus audio? I'd take that over any of them.

I guess that's why we all have opinions. I think Disneyland's SM makes ours look and feel completely and totally outdated. I would take theirs in a heartbeat over ours. Now, a totally replaced track with our layout plus audio? I'd take that over any of them.

Outdated now? I was speaking with the idea of this refurb in mind. The two cant be compared they are two different experiences. And I would agree with you with the state it was in just before this refurb.

Buried20KLeague

It amuses me how excited everyone is getting over this modest refurb. I swear sometimes I feel the same way Cartman did in the "Elementary School Musical" episode from South Park: "Well, I'm out guys. If this is what's cool now, I think I'm done. I no longer have any connection to this world. I'm gonna go home and kill myself. Goodbye, friends."

To me you might as well get all excited over a new Lamp post. For #%#$^#$@ sake it's a new queue with video games and a new ceiling for the load area! How is that anywhere near as exciting as Disneyland Paris or Disneyland's Space Mountain? Disneyland's is smooth, has superior effects and also has on-board audio. Our ride is still basically the same piece of bumpy crap it has been for the last 15 years. I say 15 because that is about the time it was due for a real rehab before it became stale and old news.

This is exactly why TDO gets away so few new projects of any worth! People keep praising them for mediocrity.

:sohappy::sohappy::sohappy:

YES, YES, YES!!!!!!!!!! A THOUSAND TIMES YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DEAD ON ACCURATE.

:sohappy::sohappy::sohappy::sohappy::sohappy::sohappy:

MadHatterJr

a few years ago when i went to DL for the first time, i thought that their space mountain was simply amazing (not better than the one in Paris, but still great). The excitement of being in that park for the first time, the great queue and load area and the on-board audio! it was divine. Me and my friends i went on the trip with went on it several times. a few months later i went back to DL with my boyfriend so he could experience the park for the first time too. At that point they had the "Rockin' Space Mountian" layover with the new lighting and red hot chili peppers audio. Let me say, it totally changed my oppinion of the ride. What i first thought was an amazing experience turned out quite lame the second trip around. Their track lay out is very very dull, with barely a dip, and mostly sharp turns. As great as having onboard audio was for that ride, it didn't make up for the lack of intrest in the track.... especially when the music is less that stellar. I am interested in seeing what is to come when i make my way back on the mountain, and i'm sure i will love it as i had before.

Jason the first time poster:wave:

Kuhio

I can understand being dissapointed by not getting audio, but to me its not that big a deal. If audio is so important than why not ride with an ipod with the DL soundtrack or just go to DL. I can understand why you and others would be dissapointed in that. But the way I look at it is they could have done nothing and then people here would have complained, and then they decide to do something and people here still want to complain. Just be a little thankful they did something to it. And as I said somewhere already in this thread and this is imo, the better space mt. just got even better.

Why do we compare the 2 rides at DL and WDW? They are totally different and don't need to be the same. IMHO I think WDW Space is way better then DL. The ride experience is more intense as the dips and drops are much steeper. WDW doesn't have the nice spaceship inside but overall i love the original attraction and hope that through this refurb they darken the inside as it was to bright.

Count me as another person who thinks WDW's SM was far superior to the "DL" versions even prior to the refurb, and who is happy not to have gotten onboard audio. (And I've been on every version of SM, including the ones at WDW, DL, HKDL, and TDL within the last two years.)

Not all attractions can or should be judged by the same criteria. SM is, first and foremost, a roller coaster. Although it takes place in the dark, it is not a dark ride. The degree to which it succeeds as an attraction must therefore rest more heavily on the effectiveness of the roller-coaster aspect of its execution. Although theming and effects are important and, of course, desired, SM isn't the equivalent of IASW or HM. If either of the latter had no theming or effects whatsoever -- and was just a boat or Omnimover ride through empty rooms -- they would be complete failures, and would have no place at a Disney park. On the other hand, if SM was nothing more than a roller coaster in the dark with no effects whatsoever, it would still be effective and fun, albeit below its true potential.

If WDW's SM were just a regular, unenclosed and unthemed roller coaster at Six Flags, I'd still love it. If any of the DL-configuration SMs were a regular, unenclosed and unthemed roller coaster at Six Flags, I'd never ride it. Even pre-refurb, WDW's SM was one of my favorite, must-do attractions on the property; even with onboard audio and "up-to-date" special effects, I'm happy skipping the DL mountains entirely if that means I can get an additional ride on the Matterhorn, or Pooh's Hunny Hunt, or whatever. The DL track layout is boring and unimaginative; the onboard audio was necessary, in a sense, because the roller-coaster aspect of the attraction was itself seriously lacking.

I honestly don't get people who label our SM a failure solely or largely because it lacks onboard audio. Complaining that WDW's SM is inferior to DL's because it lacks onboard audio is like complaining that Millennium Force or The Voyage are inferior to California Screamin' because they lack onboard audio. The vast majority of roller coasters in the world -- including the very best ones -- do not have onboard audio. In some instances, like RnRC, the audio is part and parcel of the theming and a natural aspect of the attraction -- i.e., a plus. In other cases, like the DL-style SMs and California Screamin', the audio is not an organic part of the theme, but enhances the overall attraction because the coaster itself is inherently weak and needs all the help it can get. When a coaster is intrinsically fun and exciting, the lack of audio is not in any sense an indictment of its quality. (And let's not get started on the "add a loop" arguments -- having inversions is neither necessary nor sufficient to make a roller coaster good. Some of the best roller coasters do not have inversions, and many, many coasters with inversions are horrible.)

On a more general note, it's frankly baffling how much WDW's SM seems to get singled out for criticism -- it's like a veritable lightning rod. I'm not disputing that it needs to be clean, safe, and have special effects that are functional -- and these are things that the refurb largely seems to have provided it, as far as we can tell for now. But I don't really get people who point out every single thing that DL has that we don't (such as the fact that we didn't -- and won't -- have a spaceship hanging over our queue). Why don't DL locals complain that they don't have a spaceship hanging over their lifthill? Or two mission control booths in their lifthill? Or a unique, themed post-show?

And even if some aspects of WDW's SM could be better when compared to their counterparts elsewhere, it's odd that so many people seem to advocate a wholesale re-working of the attraction, rather than just tweaks to make it more effective. You don't hear, after all, DL loyalists arguing that their HM should be completely torn down and rebuilt to add the unique scenes that exist in WDW's version, or anyone complaining that DL's or WDW's BTMRR should be rebuilt on an island simply because DLP's is on one. (For that matter, you also don't hear people complaining that BTMRR or the Matterhorn don't have onboard audio.)

Anyway, I'm excited with what I've seen so far. If they've added enhanced effects inside the mountain (e.g., re-entry tunnel), I'll be even happier. It would be great to have outside lighting, but I'm hopeful that'll come in time. I'm just looking forward to getting back to WDW soon and getting the chance to ride through space as it was meant to be -- silent, but for the ambient sounds of rockets racing around and the screams of excited riders.

EPCOT Explorer

BINGO!!!

Defenders of Mediocrity. Where have I heard that before?

I am not excited by the fact that Disney removed asbestos, replaced a few sections of track, repainted, enclosed the queue, and generally did a rehab ... not anymore than I am by them paving over a theater for an exec parking lot ... or by a new planter ... or by new urinals ... or by them adding hours back into an operating schedule after they've cut so much.

It really gets old in a hurry.

Space MTN has been due for a total gutting and rebuilding since the mid-late 90s. Something truly worthy of Disney and the whole Space Mountain concept/mythos. And I'm supposed to be excited by ... by ... this?!?!

Sorry, I remember when Space opened and it was considered a WORLD CLASS ride/attraction. Now, it is only based on fanboi nostalgia ...

In the past 13 months, I've ridden versions in Anaheim, Hong Kong and Paris multiple times and they all are much superior. WDW has had a stale joke. Now, we'll have a clean, repainted, darker, asbestos free stale version.

Excuse my lack of fanboi drool.

It amuses me how excited everyone is getting over this modest refurb. I swear sometimes I feel the same way Cartman did in the "Elementary School Musical" episode from South Park: "Well, I'm out guys. If this is what's cool now, I think I'm done. I no longer have any connection to this world. I'm gonna go home and kill myself. Goodbye, friends."

To me you might as well get all excited over a new Lamp post. For #%#$^#$@ sake it's a new queue with video games and a new ceiling for the load area! How is that anywhere near as exciting as Disneyland Paris or Disneyland's Space Mountain? Disneyland's is smooth, has superior effects and also has on-board audio. Our ride is still basically the same piece of bumpy crap it has been for the last 15 years. I say 15 because that is about the time it was due for a real rehab before it became stale and old news.

This is exactly why TDO gets away so few new projects of any worth! People keep praising them for mediocrity.
I have to agree with the both of you....

However: The queue enhancements are nice and a vast improvement in aesthetics over the old ones. That is worthy of praise, yes. But the whole refurb?! No. Never. :lol: Unless it's turning out VASTLY different from what we were told...or not told, than this is not a good thing.

Small things, however, are good things, but not the GREAT things.

Buried20KLeague

Well to me and some other folk its not mediocrity. Its a difference of opinions. You claim DL's Space is smooth and cool or whatnot, and I say its crap and I say its boring. Just a difference of opinions. To sit here and say that they couldnt have done better is ignorant on all our parts, but its also ignorant to sit here and say that they havent done anything.

If MK's space mt. is so lackluster and stale, as well as all the other things WDW has to offer and WDW as a whole, than go to DL where things are just so much better. And didnt they add new tracks?? And has anyone from the public been allowed to ride it yet?? So how would you know its the same "bumpy crap" from the past 15 years. Another difference of opinion, because when I think of bumpy crap I think of Rockin coaster not Space mt.

So wait... You're throwing rocks from your glass house then?

You're attacking people for saying the refurb isn't great, because they haven't been on it.... When you're saying it IS great, and you haven't been on it either.

:rolleyes:

DisneyParksFan1

I have to agree with the both of you....

However: The queue enhancements are nice and a vast improvement in aesthetics over the old ones. That is worthy of praise, yes. But the whole refurb?! No. Never. :lol: Unless it's turning out VASTLY different from what we were told...or not told, than this is not a good thing.

Small things, however, are good things, but not the GREAT things.

Agreed, nothing bad about praising the small improvements that were made, but the whole refurb is definitley not worthy of praise. The new queue, the new powerwash, the color scheme, post show, the pavement, it's all worthy of praise. Now, the whole refurb not at all, they said they would replace the track, never happened(unless we get it by surprise...), on-board audio, never happened(unless some surprise occurs), exterior lighting, could happen, most likely not. So let's focus on the small things, the things that should be praised. We at least got something. I'd rather they do this then keep this attraction as stale as it was for years. Let's be happy about this, and let's hope Disney is on their way on not only fixing up Space Mountain, but also all of Tomorrowland.

EPCOT Explorer

Agreed, nothing bad about praising the small improvements that were made, but the whole refurb is definitley not worthy of praise. The new queue, the new powerwash, the color scheme, post show, the pavement, it's all worthy of praise. Now, the whole refurb not at all, they said they would replace the track, never happened(unless we get it by surprise...), on-board audio, never happened(unless some surprise occurs), exterior lighting, could happen, most likely not. So let's focus on the small things, the things that should be praised. We at least got something. I'd rather they do this then keep this attraction as stale as it was for years. Let's be happy about this, and let's hope Disney is on their way on not only fixing up Space Mountain, but also all of Tomorrowland.
Exactly. Acknowledge the good parts...but hold them to a high standard and demand better.
:)

Biff215

I honestly don't get people who label our SM a failure solely or largely because it lacks onboard audio. Complaining that WDW's SM is inferior to DL's because it lacks onboard audio is like complaining that Millennium Force or The Voyage are inferior to California Screamin' because they lack onboard audio. The vast majority of roller coasters in the world -- including the very best ones -- do not have onboard audio. In some instances, like RnRC, the audio is part and parcel of the theming and a natural aspect of the attraction -- i.e., a plus. In other cases, like the DL-style SMs and California Screamin', the audio is not an organic part of the theme, but enhances the overall attraction because the coaster itself is inherently weak and needs all the help it can get. When a coaster is intrinsically fun and exciting, the lack of audio is not in any sense an indictment of its quality. (And let's not get started on the "add a loop" arguments -- having inversions is neither necessary nor sufficient to make a roller coaster good. Some of the best roller coasters do not have inversions, and many, many coasters with inversions are horrible.)

I have to agree that on-board audio is not always a good thing. On RnRC, it makes the ride what it is. But just adding audio does not always improve the experience.

If any of you have been to SF Great Adventure this past season, you know exactly what I'm talking about. They took a pretty decent B&M floorless coaster (Medusa), added audio, fire, and some lame flat scenery to make it Bizarro. I had high hopes for it, but it failed miserably. A great coaster that I had ridden for years actually became worse without even touching the track! The on-board audio had to be the worst part as it didn't seem to tie in at all.

Now I understand that I'm talking about SF, and this is Disney. They should be able to do it right. But I'll take the screams and the otherwise quiet of space any day.

Buried20KLeague

Because outside of all the cool effects it fails as a roller coaster. Space mt. is a roller coaster, and as a coaster it is boring as hell. Horrible layout, nothing but left and right turns and small dips and it is not thrilling as what a roller coaster should be. Id say its a great ride though, but as a coaster it fails.

I can understand being dissapointed by not getting audio, but to me its not that big a deal. If audio is so important than why not ride with an ipod with the DL soundtrack or just go to DL. I can understand why you and others would be dissapointed in that. But the way I look at it is they could have done nothing and then people here would have complained, and then they decide to do something and people here still want to complain. Just be a little thankful they did something to it. And as I said somewhere already in this thread and this is imo, the better space mt. just got even better.

ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!?!?!?!?!??!???!?!?!?

You DO realize that the section I bolded is an exact description of WDW's SM, right??? :rolleyes: I actually thought you were talking about WDW's, and didn't understand you even meant DL's!

DL's track layout, I will agree, isn't that much fun. But... EVERYTHING ELSE ABOUT IT IS. The effects, on board audio, tunnels... All more than make up for it.

You're a perfect example of why WDW gets away with what they get away with. In Paris, Tokyo, or Anaheim it wouldn't fly.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom