Rumor Inside Out to Replace Journey into Imagination with Figment?

Disstevefan1

Maybe Disney purposely leaked this rumor as a trial balloon to see the public's reaction?

Figment is so tied to EPCOT, so its a shame if figment is indeed going away. If this happens, it will go down in Disney history as another attraction that Disney completely killed by changing it from its original version, like Disneyland's people mover.

Inside out is a great movie, and the moment i saw the Bing Bong character, I thought they should have used figment as this character!!

In my mind that would have been perfect, then fast forward to today, the insertion of inside out into the imagination pavilion would have made sense and we would have not lost figment.

Oh well. EPCOT was never what Walt intended anyway...

trainplane3

Nope. The head Imagineer of version 2 was Tom Fitzgerald. Tom is still with WDI to this day. He was the person responsible
for the Ratatouille attraction in Walt Disney Studios Park. I believe Tom still has the creative direction lead for Epcot from a WDI standpoint.
I couldn't remember who it was but I thought they were still with company.

It was just a joke regardless.

Last edited:

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
And he rightly should have been asking about that money.

Most of the budget to 're-do' the Attraction was spent on removing the entirety of the Original 'Journey'.
What little money was left was used to install the sparse 'replacement' , 'JIYI'.

Disney gutted the Original ride space of absolutely everything....except most of the track and possibly the ride vehicle drive engines in the floor underneath said track.
All of the beautifully designed sets, scenery, figures, and every trace of imaginative elements was removed and in most cases destroyed.
Even the blue ride vehicles were junked..tossed in a dumpster backstage.

It is absolutely CRIMINAL that this was allowed to happen.
Boils my blood ...still to this day.
:mad:

-
But you're admittedly biased...

Figments Friend

But you're admittedly biased...

Who, me...?

-

Last edited:

Bender123

And Your Imagination was built the way it was to perhaps prove to the higher ups that they should continue to move in that direction. Build more “successful” new renovations with IP-integration. Not only to build up his ego to the higher ups, but to shove it in Baxter and the “ creatives’ “ face. Only thing is though, that plan massively backfired and people preferred Baxter’s vision for Journey Into Imagination.
So when word got out to Fitzgerald. I’m sure he was upset and that’s why he made the current incarnation the way it is.

I would argue a much less impressive story...the original remake had no Figment and this caused a drop in sales, due to his merch popularity. The ride was awful and they needed to bring him back in a way that wouldn't require a massive cost and would fit with the narrative.

The new "attitude" Figment is a pure product of his time...The popular thought was that "rude dudes" was the way to make a character. Its the same reason we got Stitch, Max from Goof Troop and other "RADICAL DUDEs". It was a common trope to do this in that time period and Figment just followed the form laid out, to great success, in the movies and animations. Figment suddenly became a marketing version of living ADHD. The thought was "Boys will love it!" The problem is that everybody hated it and found it cringe inducing.

Its pretty mundane, but welcome to late 90s/00s marketing 101...Stories are never quite as exciting as we wish they were...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom