Rumor Inside Out to Replace Journey into Imagination with Figment?

Inspired Figment

The computer looks awesome, would love to see the specs. But I digress as we're going way off-topic. :)

The Imagination pavilion and Figment deserve better than what they currently have, but Inside Out is nowhere close to "better", quite the opposite, IMHO.
Agreed. It’d literally be repeating the exact same mistake as these last two renovations. Putting in a completely unrelated movie IP-based ride that really has nothing to do with creativity or imagination nor bares any resemblance to what it once was. Then putting a band-aid on it to “fix the problem” by carelessly shoehorning the Figment character in with little to no proper integration or understanding of what made the original version of the ride work in the first place.
They missed the bigger picture. It was the entire original experience that we missed and wanted back, not just the character. For instance, if they were to take out something like Peter Pan’s Flight and replaced it with a short-sighted High School Musical attraction and then just shoehorned the Peter Pan character in to “fix it” while also throwing in a cheap “in-joke” story of Peter causing mischief in the school to enforce his place and message on them. It misses the entire point.
It was mainly the timeless theme and message, the execution of special effects and scenery, the journey through what our imagination is capable of doing when expressed in the best outlets and the possible discoveries and choices we can make in life when we use it. Not to mention, the distinct timeless Disney charm it had throughout. The characters and song were only a part of what made the original ride so memorable.

Last edited:

Inspired Figment

Btw... something I thought I’d mention, especially with the topic @Figments Friend brought up about the company’s inner-politics being the main motivator in closing the orignal ride.
Perhaps it’s just me over analyzing things... But I can almost see the ‘02-Current Journey Into Imagination with Figment being a subliminal political commentary of sorts. Not of the government-type obviously. But company politics. I’ll explain... the institute seems to be run by a bunch of typical, close minded, corporate individuals who have a very narrow or limited view of what imagination’s really about. Bring in Dr. Channing, he’s your typical snobby jerk, business man who feels that “Imagination should be something that should be controlled and captured”. Who does this sound a lot like?? Michael Eisner and the board of management at that time.
Figment has always been the childlike, free thinking, creative type... you could almost look at him as a representation of the imagineers like Tony Baxter, Joe Rohde, and the rest of the creative folks at Disney who want the conpany’s imagination and creativity “to be set free” from the restraints that it’s going through right now.
So hear me out... Throughout the ride, Dr. Channing views Figment as a nuisance & a pest, someone who just causes trouble and everything to go wrong for him. But once Dr. Channing gets enough pressure from Figment, the creative thinker. He eventually sucks it up and figures “well... if you can’t beat him.. join him”. And then he finally realizes that ‘true’ creativity should be something that’s encouraged, rather than discouraged...

Odd right?? Now, when you look at this way. It’s almost ironic that the ride has stayed in this state for as long as it has. Could it perhaps be a metaphor or symbol of the inner-turmoil that’s still going on within the company?

If or when it’s finally changed back in some form to what it once represented, perhaps then it’ll finally showcase that Disney is finally returning back to it’s roots in regards to their creativity with their attractions.
Lol! I dunno, call me an absolute madman, but it’s something I’ve definitley thought about and I think it’s a neat theory.

Last edited:

Inspired Figment

Could the real motivator of closing the original Journey Into Imagination actually be that Eisner and the corporate folks didn’t like or appreciate the message that the original attraction and characters represented? Perhaps they were worried that through time, that message would undermine them and get in the way of how they truly wanted to run and control the business. Eh?

Last edited:

SaveDinosaur

Honestly I know you are right about that...It should be used to at least thematically blend with the attractions on that side of the park...I just hate losing Figment completely for something that will most likely be an inferior attraction to the original Dreamfinder ride... I guess there is enough room to build a new Inside Out Pavilion between Living Seas and The Land...and create something spectacular for Imagination.
I don´t think that Disney cares about thematically blending anymore... If Guardians can go in FW and Frozen in a real world country, than Inside Out can definitely go there.

Figments Friend

Could the real motivator of closing the original Journey Into Imagination actually be that Eisner and the corporate folks didn’t like or appreciate the message that the original attraction and characters represented? Perhaps they were worried that through time, that message would undermine them and get in the way of how they truly wanted to run and control the business. Eh?

Eisner absolutely despised the 'replacement' to the Original.
Upon exiting after his first ride through the abysmal 'JIYI' it's been said he ordered a immediate re-do.
He was not happy...at all.

-

Figments Friend

Btw... something I thought I’d mention, especially with the topic @Figments Friend brought up about the company’s inner-politics being the main motivator in closing the orignal ride.
Perhaps it’s just me over analyzing things... But I can almost see the ‘02-Current Journey Into Imagination with Figment being a subliminal political commentary of sorts. Not of the government-type obviously. But company politics. I’ll explain... the institute seems to be run by a bunch of typical, close minded, corporate individuals who have a very narrow or limited view of what imagination’s really about. Bring in Dr. Channing, he’s your typical snobby jerk, business man who feels that “Imagination should be something that should be controlled and captured”. Who does this sound a lot like?? Michael Eisner and the board of management at that time.
Figment has always been the childlike, free thinking, creative type... you could almost look at him as a representation of the imagineers like Tony Baxter, Joe Rohde, and the rest of the creative folks at Disney who want the conpany’s imagination and creativity “to be set free” from the restraints that it’s going through right now.
So hear me out... Throughout the ride, Dr. Channing views Figment as a nuisance & a pest, someone who just causes trouble and everything to go wrong for him. But once Dr. Channing gets enough pressure from Figment, the creative thinker. He eventually sucks it up and figures “well... if you can’t beat him.. join him”. And then he finally realizes that ‘true’ creativity should be something that’s encouraged, rather than discouraged...

Odd right?? Now, when you look at this way. It’s almost ironic that the ride has stayed in this state for as long as it has. Could it perhaps be a metaphor or symbol of the inner-turmoil that’s still going on within the company?

If or when it’s finally changed back in some form to what it once represented, perhaps then it’ll finally showcase that Disney is finally returning back to it’s roots in regards to their creativity with their attractions.
Lol! I dunno, call me an absolute madman, but it’s something I’ve definitley thought about and I think it’s a neat theory.

Yes, this has been talked about in the past.

I remember posting about this a while back, as I had heard elsewhere that
some people at WDI were said to have viewed the 'story' of the current Attraction as a representation of what they were going through at the time of its development.
Surpression of their creative freedom.
So it was a clever, yet sad, metaphor for the two philophisies constantly at war with each other within the organization - the Creatives vs. the Executives.

Channing represented the Execs and upper Managment.
Figment represented the Imagineers.
-

Last edited:

brb1006

I drop the F-Bomb every time I think about that current monstrosity!!
I would drop the F-Bomb knowing Figment went from this
3fmt123234LARGE.jpg

abi849026LARGE-600x400.jpg

To this!
IMG_1856-002.JPG

BisonLion

LOL! Eh.. not quite... you got it in reverse. I was thinking maybe Intel might be a good new sponsor for a properly upgraded Imagination pavilion. The rainbow colored fan reminded me of the original Journey Into Imagination pavilion logo with a bit of a tribute to the old Rainbow Corridor .
Now... I’m not sure how feasible that’d be in this day and age, but I thought it was a good idea atleast.

The tech industry right now is primed for sponsorship in something like this. Many are flush with cash and the story of future world sets up perfectly with their visions. Communicore (Facebook/Twitter/Verizon 5G), Imagination (Google/Intel), Wonders of Life/Healt (company's with new health CRM's such as Saleforce, etc. could team up with an AETNA, BCBS, Kaiser-Permanente to push personlized health), and so on. Some mention that the issue is that technology moves so fast. That is true, but I also believe in this day an age of IP protection, Google doesn't want Apple, Microsoft or Amazon to know what they are thinking 10-15 years down the line. The market is so aggressive, everyone is afraid to show their hands until patents are finished or a product is rolled out (or purchased through acquisition of a smaller commpany) to the point that there is some sort of "first entry" benefit.

Figments Friend

I believe the quote was "What the F--- did you do with my x million dollars?!" Seriously.

And he rightly should have been asking about that money.

Most of the budget to 're-do' the Attraction was spent on removing the entirety of the Original 'Journey'.
What little money was left was used to install the sparse 'replacement' , 'JIYI'.

Disney gutted the Original ride space of absolutely everything....except most of the track and possibly the ride vehicle drive engines in the floor underneath said track.
All of the beautifully designed sets, scenery, figures, and every trace of imaginative elements was removed and in most cases destroyed.
Even the blue ride vehicles were junked..tossed in a dumpster backstage.

It is absolutely CRIMINAL that this was allowed to happen.
Boils my blood ...still to this day.
:mad:

-

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom