Innoventions West to Close in May?

Imagineerwannabe

Perhaps we're in the middle of the second Future World update program and we don't even know it yet. I mean, think about it. Test Track was updated in 2012, Soarin' is getting another theater and possibly a new film, and InnoWest is closing. None of us know what Disney has planned (if anything), but it's very likely. There's always the possibility of more changes coming in the near future.

I'd love to see large areas of FW and innov areas get a refurb to be more 'relevant'.
Everything here seems to hark back to a future that will never be but one we have already surpassed.
I appreciate the difficulties of trying to keep things fresh, modern and forward thinking, and as good fun as the piggy bank adventure is, I'm sure they 'could' do more with the place. Just not more meet and greets or temporary space for f&w abd f&g festivals...

Imagineerwannabe

I guess I was the only one playing Where's the Fire and the Great Piggy Bank game every trip.

I am sad to see yet another thing close in Epcot. A park that used to get 2 days from me is now down to one with the live performers gone from Epcot, the loss of Maelstrom and now this.

Please, Epcot Gods, not another empty building!

You weren't the only one playing those..where's the fire and great piggy bank adventure are good fun, even as an adult. But taking off the rose tinted glasses, it makes you realise that's it's a way off being what these pavilions 'could' and 'should' be for. Not to downplay how fun they are, but with technology now, the potential should open up far more options...

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
Wasn't there a rumor about Big Hero 6 overtaking the area?
Yes, there was.
And if done right, and done like the science expo, it could be good. It could contain the E3 feel.
Even as an EPCOT purist psychopath, I dont dismiss the idea of characters out of hand. As long as they are done well, present the material (instead of become the material itself like Nemo and Frozen), and uphold the original mission of EPCOT, I don't hate the idea of characters.
Figment was a great character originally, even if he was not existing IP. He presented and enhanced the pavilion, but imagination was still the focal point. Now Figment is the attraction and totally overwhelms the 5 senses or whatever preschool concept they are trying to get across.

ParentsOf4

Is it me, or is there substantially more change going on in the WDW parks than usual? I would love to see their Capital spend for the last 2 years.
I am sure @ParentsOf4 could provide those numbers.
During Bob Iger's first 7 fiscal years as CEO, Disney spent 14.6% of domestic Parks & Resorts revenue on domestic Parks & Resorts capital expenditures.

The following shows spending levels over the last 8 fiscal quarters (i.e. 2 years):

Dosmestic P&R Capex - 2 years.jpg

As you can see domestic capex spending has been considerably below average in recent years.

I suspect what you're seeing is a lot of low cost, high visibility projects.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
During Bob Iger's first 7 fiscal years as CEO, Disney spent 14.6% of domestic Parks & Resorts revenue on domestic Parks & Resorts capital expenditures.

The following shows spending levels over the last 8 fiscal quarters (i.e. 2 years):

View attachment 87322

As you can see domestic capex spending has been considerably below average in recent years.

Does this include cruise ships?

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto

View attachment 87322

Percentage of revenue aside, how do the total capex dollars spent compare?
If they are making more today, and spending a smaller percentage, they could still be spending a ton of money.
I ask because I have no idea what the numbers look like.

PhotoDave219

Special event space - because they don't have enough empty buildings for private/special events. ((She said sarcastically)) ;)

The best possible outcome? We move the festival center for F&W to this location and finally.... finally... finally do something with the WOL pavilion.

I mean if you're going to have a festival center, you really need it in the middle of the park as opposed to way on the edge. This move would serve that need. It would free up much needed real-estate for a new attraction or two.

One can hope..... otherwise Epcot is going to give the Studios a run for their money as "which park is on life support?"

Baloo62

We just came back Saturday from our fourth visit in the past 15 months (22nd visit for me total). As much as it pains me to say it, Epcot is no longer worth two days of our vacation. It's always been my favorite park on property, but because we always arrive before opening, we now struggle to find enough to do to justify staying through dinner. Innoventions is a complete joke now. I couldn't be less impressed if they converted it into a room full of rented birthday party space jumps. Actually, that would be a vast improvement. Back when it first debuted, I loved the "Alec Tronic" AA exhibit. I also much preferred the outdoor signage with the giant lightbulbs...they looked so cool at night. But the problems go way beyond Innoventions. Assuming you do Test Track as soon as the park opens and have a FP for Soarin', you can easily experience every attraction in Future World before lunch and that includes lingering around the post-show areas. And unless you intend to browse through every shelf of every shop of every country, World Showcase is good for an afternoon at best. We've long since abandoned trying to make a full day out of AK or HS....we do DTD on those nights. But to see Epcot become such a wasteland is ridiculous and outrageous. It's funny, but I was just saying during our last trip that from now on our second Epcot day would be spent at IoA, SW or Busch Gardens (sooo worth the drive!!!). It makes me sad that the only park at WDW that is worth a second day of our time anymore is MK. Actually, it makes me angry, but I'm trying to be nice.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
The best possible outcome? We move the festival center for F&W to this location and finally.... finally... finally do something with the WOL pavilion.

I mean if you're going to have a festival center, you really need it in the middle of the park as opposed to way on the edge. This move would serve that need. It would free up much needed real-estate for a new attraction or two.

One can hope..... otherwise Epcot is going to give the Studios a run for their money as "which park is on life support?"
I do agree that the feastival stuff needs to move.
I personally wish they moved the festival stuff out into World Showcase, since that is where the festivals take place. Leave Future World alone to be its own section of the park, sans festival.

GymLeaderPhil

Look. This talk of moving attractions like COP and IASW is, in my honest opinion, stupid. It's a waste of money because it's not adding NEW content/experiences to Epcot. It's in the same vein of adding capacity to Soarin and Mania.

Is it cool to have refreshed attractions - yes. Is it nice to see Disney considering capacity with popular attractions - yes. BUT is Epcot really on the same level of Toyko Disneyland who is moving their IASW show building? No, because we need new experiences and it won't solve Epcot's problem of having two attractions that have a strong demand.

The idea of having sponsor-driven and dictated mini exhibit spaces is short term thinking. The turnover and changes to the space is indicative of the amount of control the Disney has and the amount of quality they aren't putting towards it.

The greatest comparison I can make is actually COP and IASW. Highly creative and endearingly repeatable. There have been sponsors with both, for sure, but it's not a blatant cash grab advertisement for the company that's footing the bill. At some point Disney lost control of what the message was in a desparate attempt to lock money in.

wdwfan4ver

Hmm maybe the moving of the carousel of progress is true?
I really doubt it at this time. My thinking is due to the amount of Money Disney has to spend at Tomorrowland and Future World at the same time in terms of moving, Gutting buildings, and money to create attraction from scratch or update.

I also am factoring in how much money is Disney going to spend on DHS.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom