Innoventions West to Close in May?

Little Green Men

Just because it's closing doesn't mean it's going to sit empty, I know they have let that happen in the past but I'd rather not jump to conclusions. Maybe it will be replaced by the rumored BH6 exhibit?

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
The thing I'm not 100% in agreement on, especially in the Communicore/Innoventions space, is that I don't feel it's impossible to keep up with technology!
It's impossible maybe in a ride, an attraction, I agree that it is likely impossible (or more likely, financially impractical) to keep up with modern technology.
But in a large open space like Innoventions (or really, like what Communicore used to be)? I don't see why not. I don't see why this can't operate more like a technology expo like E3 (though one with sections built to last months, not days). Something that can be swapped out fairly quickly (a matter of days, less than a week), updated constantly, and give people the feeling that they really are participating in future technology.
It's likely a cost constraint, sure. It would cost more to do that. It would require constant work. Ok. Legal would likely have lots of work on their hands to keep building contracts with new vendors/partners. Check.
But impossible? Nah.
I agree. Innnoventions, when it started, was different than it became. There is no reason it couldn't be redone to serve its original purpose, but done right. The House of the Future area is a good example -- it's been updated several times. More frequent updates would be better, but applying this same strategy to areas focused on mobile technology, communications, 3-d printing (create something on a CAD program and have it printed and mailed to you), etc. The great Piggy Bank Adventure, fun as it was, shows how far off from the original intent of Innoventions Disney got.

draybook

Hmm maybe the moving of the carousel of progress is true? Maybe they will move the carousel to the wonders of life pavilion , then make the innovations west space the special events space leaving the carousel of progress space in the magic kingdom for something new.

The only reason I would welcome that move is to get away from that God awful dance music.

Communicore

Guys...Guys.....I think we all know what needs to make a comeback within that spot....;)

6973584777_02bf036983.jpg

epcot_pasta_piazza_3-3-01.jpg
I love this joint!

culturenthrills

Yeah... no.

1. Let's think about how sponsorship works. Sponsors pay to place and operate the things in Innoventions. They're net money-makers for Disney. Losing sponsors is a bad thing, not a cost cut that leads to savings.

2. You obviously have no idea what "TDO" is or how it operates.

3. Nobody is earning a bonus for cutting a handful of minimum wage heads, even if those heads weren't being paid for by the sponsors.

They having been cutting things for years to meet there budgets to get their bonuses. If you don't think that has been what's going on then you are naive

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
Just because it's closing doesn't mean it's going to sit empty, I know they have let that happen in the past but I'd rather not jump to conclusions. Maybe it will be replaced by the rumored BH6 exhibit?
Normally I'd be on your side. I'd be right there with you.

But this is how Disney has treated Epcot for the past decade or more. Close it down, use it for something completely unrelated (WoL) or not open to the public at all (right ImageWorks?).

At this moment, my glass half empty side just can't be optimistic when it comes to Disney-Frozen-is-Norway Company.

CaptainAmerica

They having been cutting things for years to meet there budgets to get their bonuses. If you don't think that has been what's going on then you are naive
Wow. Okay let's try this with an example.

Sponsor A pays $100 for Exhibit A.
Exhibit A costs $90 to operate.
Disney has a "free" attraction to offer guests and they make an additional $10 from this sponsorship arrangement.

Sponsor A decides to no longer sponsor Exhibit A.
Disney loses $100 in sponsorship fees.
Disney saves $90 in operating expenses.
Disney is $10 worse off than they were before.

Sponsored attractions do not cost Disney anything to operate and, therefore, nobody is "meeting there [sic] budgets" by cutting them.

Little Green Men

Normally I'd be on your side. I'd be right there with you.

But this is how Disney has treated Epcot for the past decade or more. Close it down, use it for something completely unrelated (WoL) or not open to the public at all (right ImageWorks?).

At this moment, my glass half empty side just can't be optimistic when it comes to Disney-Frozen-is-Norway Company.
I completely understand, I guess I just have hope since it was speculated Innoventions West would be replaced with BH6 anyway. I'd hope they have more than enough event space to feel the need to turn another area into one.

Jon81uk

Because TWDC is so strapped for cash that they can't afford to keep Innoventions up-to-date. Maybe if they didn't buyback just one billion or so of stock, they could keep this attraction up-to-date.

That's where you end up with Frozen in Norway. If Disney are to do something to Epcot now they are tying it onto something else. The original Epcot as a worlds fair idea relies on partnerships and sponsorships. If no one else pays up then they use it to link to other parts of the company.

Fortunately this doesn't seem to be a thing at AK where the park is still following it's original theme (other than Avatar).

build_it

It is not a win for Future World if It's a Small World gets located there. It's a Small world actually ruin Future World because of the nature of it's a small world ride. That ride actually has nothing that would fit in Future World from a theme standpoint based what Future World is supposed to showcase. Future World supposed to show energy, Imagination, Seas, Transportation, Space, and communications.

Carousel of Progress makes more sense for Epcot although I question if Disney wants to spend the money for moving, gutting and adding stuff that Tomorrowland spot and the COP spot for Epcot. COP leaving tomorrow land would start a trend of fixing it if they get a rid of SGE also. COP would be fit Epcot better due to fact it show progress in terms of how it affects the lives of people in terms of different eras.

I hate to be gloom and doom, but IMHO for all practical purposes, future world is dead. And given the global economy, and increases in communications, and the interconnectedness of the environment, I would argue, IASW is the future. But I agree to disagree on this one.

I would like to see COP move to Epcot. But I'm also one of the crazies that thinks it needs to be updated if they do. I'm sure that just made some folks cry, but moving the existing ride to an outdated future world, isn't going to do much to evolve it from its current state.

hopemax

Guys...Guys.....I think we all know what needs to make a comeback within that spot....;)

6973584777_02bf036983.jpg

epcot_pasta_piazza_3-3-01.jpg

Thank you for posting these. My Dad knew he used to get a Mickey shaped pizza from somewhere in Future World. But we knew it wasn't Fountain View, and we knew it wasn't the Electric Umbrella. Despite making 4 trips during the time frame when this was still operating, we both managed to drop this from our memories. Except for the Mickey pizza.

BrerJon

Phew, about time, it's been several months since Disney closed something down without announcing a replacement.

I was beginning to feel uneasy at the amount of choice of things to see, so glad they're helping me out on that front. Let's hope a few more things shut down soon! Thanks Tom!

Nubs70

As mentioned in previous replies, why doesn't WDW offer tech companies from SXSW and CES display space to show off new technology? Just need to find a way to monetize it.

WDW could also use the space for a tech version of Art Prize. Google Art Prize to see what it's about.

BJones82

I am optimistic about this news if it comes true, there are a lot of things going on in the parks right now that show Disney is willing to spend money to reboot things... Even if right now some of them are not popular I have faith. With Avatar land, the new night time show at AK, and assuming there will be an announcement eventually about HS. I feel the company is starting to once again put a lot of money into the parks. Just look at the referb coming to PotC, it will be down all summer for repairs we have all wanted for a long time. It all gives me hope :)

Monoblanco13

I would like it if they brought back WoL and had all the conventions for F&G/F&W to take place in Innoventions. I had also read elsewhere that CoP would be moved to the WoL and have progress as its middle name. Its a shame that Epcot is really getting no love other than Frozen ride.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom