Innoventions West to Close in May?

Communicore

Thank you for posting these. My Dad knew he used to get a Mickey shaped pizza from somewhere in Future World. But we knew it wasn't Fountain View, and we knew it wasn't the Electric Umbrella. Despite making 4 trips during the time frame when this was still operating, we both managed to drop this from our memories. Except for the Mickey pizza.
When the kids here in Central FL used to go to EPCOT Center (93), and then Epcot 94 and 95 for the school field trips, Pasta Piazza was the restaurant of choice. The other one was Farmer's Market (current Sunshine Seasons). I was part of two of those field trips.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
I am optimistic about this news if it comes true, there are a lot of things going on in the parks right now that show Disney is willing to spend money to reboot things... Even if right now some of them are not popular I have faith. With Avatar land, the new night time show at AK, and assuming there will be an announcement eventually about HS. I feel the company is starting to once again put a lot of money into the parks. Just look at the referb coming to PotC, it will be down all summer for repairs we have all wanted for a long time. It all gives me hope :)

Honestly, all that is going on (or theoretically supposedly planned to go on, like at DHS) is what has me nervous. I hate to continue to come off like a pessimist here, because I'm actually the opposite of that in 3/4 of the Disney parks, but Disney looks to be dropping lots of money into DHS and DAK at the moment, and just dropped lots of money into MK for the Fantasyland Expansion.
Sure, Epcot may get a big makeover, but how far off is it? They are theoretically going to have massive construction projects at DHS and DAK going on at the same time, IMO there is no way anything close to what Epcot needs will be going on until one or both of those are done.

Monoblanco13

I remember these days

Man I wish I was there during the Innovention Early Years...
SEGA_02.jpg_display.jpg

note2001

If any area of WDW needs a revival from the past, it's the EPCOT innovations area. Communicore used to be the exciting heartbeat of EPCOT. It showcased new technologies, got kids, and adults, to think dynamically and inventively. EPCOT even hosted High school robotics competitions. It seems to me somewhere along the way Disney forgot it is supposed to be about technology and using it to shape, and save, the world. There's still so much that can be done if they'd bring in the right people.

Communicore

Man I wish I was there during the Innovention Early Years...
SEGA_02.jpg_display.jpg
Yea they had games in there which weren't even sold yet. They didn't have consoles to demo at EB and those other places so Innoventions was the place to go to demo these new and up and coming consoles and games! Whenever I am fortunate to get an opening or early shift at Cosmics and I was out by like 6 pm I would head over to Innoventions and play until FW closed lol

BJones82

Honestly, all that is going on (or theoretically supposedly planned to go on, like at DHS) is what has me nervous. I hate to continue to come off like a pessimist here, because I'm actually the opposite of that in 3/4 of the Disney parks, but Disney looks to be dropping lots of money into DHS and DAK at the moment, and just dropped lots of money into MK for the Fantasyland Expansion.
Sure, Epcot may get a big makeover, but how far off is it? They are theoretically going to have massive construction projects at DHS and DAK going on at the same time, IMO there is no way anything close to what Epcot needs will be going on until one or both of those are done.

I agree there will not be a major overhaul of Epcot like we are seeing in AK and most likely will see in DHS, but they needed it bad, they both are considered half day parks by the majority of people. I do not consider then that but that is me and not everyone. One thing we cannot forget is Disney is flush with money right now, anything with Marvel or Pixar's name on it right now is almost a guaranteed blockbuster and as much as many people hate it Frozen brought in over 1.3 billion in revenue not including merchandise and home video sales. They can afford to have multiple huge expansions going on at once. And this doesn't even include Star Wars which is another huge cash cow for them and hopefully they will do it right... But that is for another discussion.

I agree this will not be a huge over haul but I think they are willing to spend the money to redo that part of Epcot because as many others have said, how much special event space do they really need? And I honestly cannot remember the last time I have walked through Inno West, East I try to go through once a trip but West I cannot remember the last time I went in...

ShoalFox

In the Parks
Yes
Perhaps we're in the middle of the second Future World update program and we don't even know it yet. I mean, think about it. Test Track was updated in 2012, Soarin' is getting another theater and possibly a new film, and InnoWest is closing. None of us know what Disney has planned (if anything), but it's very likely. There's always the possibility of more changes coming in the near future.

Bolt

Perhaps we're in the middle of the second Future World update program and we don't even know it yet. I mean, think about it. Test Track was updated in 2012, Soarin' is getting another theater and possibly a new film, and InnoWest is closing. None of us know what Disney has planned (if anything), but it's very likely. There's always the possibility of more changes coming in the near future.
Seems like a good idea

BrerJon

I remember where I first encountered Sega 32X, Sega CD, and maybe Sega Saturn as well, that was Innoventions!

Innoventions as a permanent E3 would work great. I remember the old Innoventions, when it was just that kind fo thing, was where I first tried virtual reality headsets on. It wasn't any great technology of the future - every mall arcade had them - but they were expensive, and my allowance never stretched that far. At Disney, they were free, so thousands got the chance to experience a bit of the latest technology, and that felt very much in the spirit of EPCOT.

They could do that now too - it doesn't have to be super advanced tech from the future, just stuff that most people won't have used or played with. VR, curved 4K TVs, Teslas, mini projectors... there's lots of stuff that would make fun exhibits, that most people won't have in their home for a few years even with today's accelerated pace of progress, and would fit with Future World, but could be rotated regularly by corporate sponsors to keep fresh.

You don't need massive expensive Piggy Bank type exhibits, just a few tables and screens to demonstrate the tech and let people play with it, without them feeling like they're in a store where they're expected to buy something.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
If phase 2 is like phase 1, count me out!

Nemo, Soarin, mission space, tron track, video screen decent in SSE. All fell quite short IMO.

If adding a new theater to Soarin instead of making another attraction to spread out the guest flow, and Frozen overlay in Norway are indicators of what to expect, I don't have high hopes.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
Innoventions as a permanent E3 would work great. I remember the old Innoventions, when it was just that kind fo thing, was where I first tried virtual reality headsets on. It wasn't any great technology of the future - every mall arcade had them - but they were expensive, and my allowance never stretched that far. At Disney, they were free, so thousands got the chance to experience a bit of the latest technology, and that felt very much in the spirit of EPCOT.

They could do that now too - it doesn't have to be super advanced tech from the future, just stuff that most people won't have used or played with. VR, curved 4K TVs, Teslas, mini projectors... there's lots of stuff that would make fun exhibits, that most people won't have in their home for a few years even with today's accelerated pace of progress, and would fit with Future World, but could be rotated regularly by corporate sponsors to keep fresh.

You don't need massive expensive Piggy Bank type exhibits, just a few tables and screens to demonstrate the tech and let people play with it, without them feeling like they're in a store where they're expected to buy something.
And it wouldn't have to be all consumer products (though I could see them focusing more on it). How about an area showing robotic technology? How about showing some advanced medical tech? Show how RFID is enhancing manufacturing!
All of these could be simple setups, limited time, and changed out easily.

BrerJon

And it wouldn't have to be all consumer products (though I could see them focusing more on it). How about an area showing robotic technology? How about showing some advanced medical tech? Show how RFID is enhancing manufacturing!
All of these could be simple setups, limited time, and changed out easily.

Robots would be cool, but would show up Imagineering somewhat. Maybe they should do a battle of the bots - Big Dog vs Arial animatronic, what do ya say?

HauntedMansionFLA

Special event space - because they don't have enough empty buildings for private/special events. ((She said sarcastically)) ;)
Another place for the Food and Wine event - which is a 365 day event now - a - days ( rolling my eyes) I know your a Star Wars fan. Too bad they couldn't put something in there SW related that's educational like you see on The Discovery Channel

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom