Innoventions West to Close in May?

CDavid

They weren't particularly innovative attractions anyway :)

I must admit that I will not miss this if it is indeed scrapped. The whole concept seams so outdated to me. I believe that much of EPCOT's original appeal faded at the hands of "the future is now". It was all started when things within this world really began to progress in a big way, but much of it became unimpressive and outdated within the passing years. We now have computer watches, and the future is indeed now. I have honestly not had a lot of use for the things presented in this section of EPCOT for a long time.

That completely and totally misses the point. The very last thing Future World needs is yet another closed and vacant building (Wonders of life, Odyssey, Imagination upstairs, and now Innoventions West). That's undeniably a lot of space in one area which is closed off to Epcot guests (granted, some areas are used for special events, but were intended as theme-park space).

A refurbishment which puts something new in the space is a different story, but we would all be suspicious Disney would close the space down now and then wait many months or even years before doing anything.

And as already pointed out, the future is not now; It is yet to come, and (obviously) always will be. Attractions and exhibits portraying that upcoming future will by definition always have a place, but you have to keep up as technology changes. You can't build something today - for the future - and then leave it alone for 20 years until it becomes a history exhibit instead. Disney has too much a tendancy to do that.

Who goes in there anyway on either side? They should just tear down the semicircular infrastructure to provide better flow to both sides of FW and rebuild space as needed for Mouse Gear, etc.

Uh, No. Just No.

hpyhnt 1000

Not surprising, especially if the sponsors aren't renewing. Looks like Epcot will be getting yet more "special event" space. Maybe by 2030 they'll get around to installing something new.

Or maybe they will have just decided its only worth operating World Showcase and will just close Future World. Then they will rename it Disney's Food and Wine Adventure and use those moveable hedges to block of FW and let it rot away.

Last edited:

Jon81uk

That completely and totally misses the point. The very last thing Future World needs is yet another closed and vacant building (Wonders of life, Odyssey, Imagination upstairs, and now Innoventions West). That's undeniably a lot of space in one area which is closed off to Epcot guests (granted, some areas are used for special events, but were intended as theme-park space).

A refurbishment which puts something new in the space is a different story, but we would all be suspicious Disney would close the space down now and then wait many months or even years before doing anything).

I agree we don't want empty space sat doing nothing, but as others have said it sounds like the sponsors are pulling out. Without sponsorship Innoventions is either full of out-of-date broken non-innovative things or closed. Epcot was deisigned to be like a worlds fair, to do that it was designed to be run with cash from sponsors. If there are no sponsors, there is no true Epcot and we will see more and more "Disney" with characters etc.

Jwhee

If you google Innoventions West, or just Innoventions, only the page for the East side comes up for the Disney website

P_Radden

Although I hate to see another building at Epcot become vacant, I have to admit Innoventions is out dated. One would think, an attraction like that would be refurbished regularly to feature new and concept technologies...

It's no secret they are investing heavily in DHS over the next few years along with Avatar Land at AK. Can we hope there is a plan/budget in the works for a major refurbish of the entire park of Epcot down the line? Say around 2020?

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
Is it me, or is there substantially more change going on in the WDW parks than usual? I would love to see their Capital spend for the last 2 years.

Ulysses McGill

Although I hate to see another building at Epcot become vacant, I have to admit Innoventions is out dated. One would think, an attraction like that would be refurbished regularly to feature new and concept technologies...

It's no secret they are investing heavily in DHS over the next few years along with Avatar Land at AK. Can we hope there is a plan/budget in the works for a major refurbish of the entire park of Epcot down the line? Say around 2020?

Well, if they hope to continue to qualify Epcot as a "theme park," with the growing amount of vacant space there, then one has to believe they have a bigger picture plan in mind.

Seabasealpha1

I dunno...I enjoy the side with Sum of All Thrills...but even for a guy with a kid, the kiddie playground that is this building seems out of place and annoying...feels like wasted space...it's good to teach kids about piggy banks and fire safety...but honestly...just no... I feel like I'm walking through a badly done 90's Nickelodeon game show set...

I'd hope it wouldn't be event space...as if there isn't enough...and...well...wouldn't that kinda mean that we'd have to walk around and through crap that has nothing to do with "Epcot" the concept?

My vote goes to everyone who thinks a return of Communicore is in order!

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
And as already pointed out, the future is not now; It is yet to come, and (obviously) always will be. Attractions and exhibits portraying that upcoming future will by definition always have a place, but you have to keep up as technology changes. You can't build something today - for the future - and then leave it alone for 20 years until it becomes a history exhibit instead. Disney has too much a tendancy to do that.

This.

Plus, EPCOT Center's Future World was not about "Here's the future, come look at it". Not really. Sure, there were attractions that presented the future (RIP Horizons), but Future World was about inspiring people to help build the future.

Yes, by the mid-90s much of Future World was outdated, and it's hard to remain on the bleeding edge of technology that is moving at such a rapid pace. But that was never the point! Update/remove/replace, it doesn't matter, but what Disney has done is remove what made the original place so special to people, and that is the feeling that we're all in this together, and that it's part of our mission, every one of us, to build the future. It wasn't "Hey, look at what the smart people at <insert corporation> are doing to build the future for you."

"If we can dream it, we can do it."

"Tomorrow's Child -- charting a brand new new way, for the future world is born today."

"For we welcome you now to take the first steps into that future. We welcome you to The Living Seas. We welcome you to Sea Base Alpha."

"We all have sparks, imaginations.
That's how our minds, create creations.
For they can make, our wildest dreams come true.
Those magic sparks, in me and you."

"Ladies and gentlemen, General Motors now invites you to share the challenge of the future. We need you to help us shape tomorrow's mobility."

I could go on and on (believe me).

Innoventions mostly failed at what it's purpose should have been. Hands on, learning, changing exhibits that allowed children and grown-ups to see/touch/participate in things that might just inspire them to go on to do big things. Sure, Communicore needed to be updated, but this area needs to be constantly updated.

I am not sad that Innoventions is closing, aside from the fact that I am sad that one more part of the ghost town that was once the best theme park in the world is closing it's doors. That makes me sad. Actually, it makes me more angry than sad. It makes me angry that the folks that put so much into this park in the late 70's, who really believed that they were building something special, their ideals were discarded either because it was "too hard" or "too expensive" to update attractions while holding to the clear mission of the original park.

WDWVolFan

Last time I was at WDW we went into Innoventions West and it was BORING.
Video games, Fire Truck, etc.
Is that all that's there on Inno West?

What it's inside Inno East?

NMBC1993

Last time I was at WDW we went into Innoventions West and it was BORING.
Video games, Fire Truck, etc.
Is that all that's there on Inno West?

Come now, how could you forget the extremely popular FP+ center they jerry-rigged out of the old storm exhibit? Consisting of three CMs standing in a very open area holding Ipads. The peek of excitement in Innoventions!

SMRT-1Michael

CommuniCore sponsored by Apple? If only...

Also, quite frankly, as long as the old CommuniCore hallway remains open, I could care less if Innoventions closes. Just a tacky reproduction of something that was once great.'

If you ask me, that entire building needs to have the window coverings removed and let the sun shine in those buildings again. That one hallway behind Club Cool is the only spot the really reminds me of the old days... The upstairs portions, the properly painted exterior, the Fountain of Information, I could go on..

Last edited:

PhotoDave219

Take this information with a pinch of salt, but CM friends of mine at Innoventions have apparently been told that West is set to close in May. No word on exact date, what will be replacing it, or whether any of the exhibits will be transferred or restored elsewhere. The Visa Card member character photo op is popular and will probably need to find relocation somewhere else, which would leave Where's the Fire, The Great Piggy Bank Adventure, the empty space from the old Segway tours, and the impressive "play video game consoles you can find at your local Best Buy" exhibit still in the building since IBM already closed. Any speculation as to what the space will be used for, if anything, and if any of the exhibits could be transferred to fill the space in East that UL just vacated?

Well.... Now they're just killing this park.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom