In Defense of FLE

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Yeah, because after all the movie version of Tinker Bell has only been around since 1953. That fad is bound to die out any time soon.....

Wilt Dasney

I do have to say, of all the criticisms I've heard and come up with on my own, the lack of alcohol at Gaston's never once occurred to me. :lol:

ABigBrassBand

I do have to say, of all the criticisms I've heard and come up with on my own, the lack of alcohol at Gaston's never once occurred to me. :lol:

Yea, me too, never really realized that until reading this thread :lol:

I would love for them to put alcohol in Gaston's, but it IS Disney. In the movie though they show them drinking etc....idk. I really don't know my standpoint on this issue. I'm just neutral, but I can't see them changing anytime soon. :shrug:

Neverland

Yeah, because after all the movie version of Tinker Bell has only been around since 1953. That fad is bound to die out any time soon.....

The character Tinkerbell is from 1953, but Tinkerbell's friends and everything else Pixie Hollow-related is very recent. I agree with someone on another board who said that they should build Neverland and make Pixie Hollow a small section of it where you can meet the fairies. That way, most of the area will remain relevant, as Peter Pan has, but Disney can still include the lucrative Disney Fairies franchise.

I myself actually like the Disney Fairies, and I love the outdoor Pixie Hollow Disneyland has, but there's no way to know if it will still be popular and known to people 20 years from now. I think the Pixie Hollow section of the FLE is just a little too much space and money dedicated to something that may or may not be relevant in the future.

DisneyNut2007

Sorry, but as I said before, they can't build a Neverland area in the place where Pixie Hollow is going. It would be way too far away from the existing Peter Pan's Flight!

And Lebeau, please post Part 2 of your "Defending the FLE" post already...

Sketch105

I think the Pixie Hollow section of the FLE is just a little too much space and money dedicated to something that may or may not be relevant in the future.

I love how everyone questions the relevance. Not to pick on you, Neverland, but this seems to be the statement a lot of people have made about the Fairies franchise and their incorporation into the parks.

A lot of people state that because the movies premiere on DVD, this makes it low that they gain so much space at a park. We may not be fans of the Fairies, but a lot of little girls are getting exposed to the modest fairy movies the same way many young people today are exposed to the eternal Disney classics- at home on DVD! Disney is focusing on films with niche audiences and making modest budgets for them, because the sure-fire Disney hit that used to rake in "Avatar" dollars in the old days (Beauty and the Beast, The Little Mermaid, Lion King) hasn't been working the same magic for most of the newer films (Princess and the Frog).

I lucked out, and grew up in the 1980s, when Disney films were still re-released into theaters for short times. I remember seeing Peter Pan and Cinderella with my father. Nowadays, they don't do such promotions unless you happen to live near the El Capitan.

I think we should be happy that far worse fads- High School Musical and Jonas Brothers- haven't gained full attractions at Disney. The appeal of those will wear off much quicker than girls that want to sprout wings and fly around.

_Scar

You do realize DHS and DAK serve alcohol as well, right? MK is the only one the doesn't.

Okay, great! :shrug: Epcot is usually the park people go to to drink "around the world", so I just put that one.

It's still good MK doesn't serve beer though :lol:

:lookaroun

A lot of people state that because the movies premiere on DVD, this makes it low that they gain so much space at a park. We may not be fans of the Fairies, but a lot of little girls are getting exposed to the modest fairy movies the same way many young people today are exposed to the eternal Disney classics- at home on DVD! Disney is focusing on films with niche audiences and making modest budgets for them, because the sure-fire Disney hit that used to rake in "Avatar" dollars in the old days (Beauty and the Beast, The Little Mermaid, Lion King) hasn't been working the same magic for most of the newer films (Princess and the Frog).

Animated movies never raked in any where near amounts of Avatar money...

But that doesn't mean they weren't undeniably better than Avatar (it doesn't take much to be better than Avatar, so can you really brag about that? lol)

Anywho, PatF is doing great merch sales and Tiana is now a "princess" which means she will live on. It was Time movie of the year. It got pretty great reviews. It was basically The Little Mermaid of the animation revival... if all goes well that is....

BTW:

Ariel- Worldwide: $211,343,479

Tiana- Worldwide: $266,475,899

So, yea, about that "magic".

Testtrack321

Ariel- Worldwide: $211,343,479

Tiana- Worldwide: $266,475,899

So, yea, about that "magic".

I KNOW MAGIC! IT'S CALLED INFLATION CALCULATIONS*! Lets see how much Ariel made when calculated for 2009 dollars vs 2009 Princess & the Frog shall we?

Average ticket price in 2009 was $7.50 according to BoxOfficeMojo. In 1989, release of The Little Mermaid, it was $3.97. Why stop there though?

Dividing out TLM numbers we see that approx 53,235,133 tickets were sold. Multiply out that number by $7.50 and we get the adjusted numbers (again approx.)

TLM (worldwide adjusted to 2009): $399,263,499
PatF (worldwide): $266,475,899

A difference of $132,787,600. That's a lot of magic!

*Simplistic inflation here, for a real representation you need to compare the difference in the purchasing power of the dollar in 1989 and 2009. Also averages account for overal 2009 ticket price, not winter pricing.

Neverland

I think we should be happy that far worse fads- High School Musical and Jonas Brothers- haven't gained full attractions at Disney. The appeal of those will wear off much quicker than girls that want to sprout wings and fly around.

Oh, believe me, I'm definitely glad that there will never be anything more than a small, portable show representing HSM. Like I said, I like the fairies franchise. I like the characters, I like the art style, I like the books and their art, and I like the movies. I'm just wondering if kids in the future will recognize Tinkerbell's friends. Pixie Hollow seems to be a large meet and greet area and playground. If no one knows or cares who the characters (besides Tink) are, and don't want to meet them because of that, then half of the mini-land has no point. It seems to me that kids nowadays who wait in line for Pixie Hollow don't wait in line for fairies, they wait in line for Tinkerbell's friends. They know their names and have favorite characters.

A difference of $132,787,600. That's a lot of magic!

Mhm. As much as I adore PatF, it was nowhere near the success of movies like TLM, Aladdin, and BatB. :( (That said, Tiana really is making a killing in merch sales.)

Testtrack321

Mhm. As much as I adore PatF, it was nowhere near the success of movies like TLM, Aladdin, and BatB. :( (That said, Tiana really is making a killing in merch sales.)

And TLM, BatB, or others didn't? (besides probably Tarzan and Hunchback)

I loved Princess and the Frog, it was a great movie, but it wasn't the cultural milestone that TLM was.

Krack

I can't praise Disney for making a bad decision (imo) because they didn't make a worse decision.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom