In Defense of FLE

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Noone else finds a tavern that doesn't serve alchol a tad bit weird?

Give it a rest. You can't get champagne at Cinderella's Royal Table either. In fact, there's no alcohol served at MK, so no, I'm not finding it a "tad bit weird."

Figment632

Give it a rest. You can't get champagne at Cinderella's Royal Table either. In fact, there's no alcohol served at MK, so no, I'm not finding it a "tad bit weird."

Why would you be able to get champagne at the castle that doesn't really seem like a good comparison.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Why would you be able to get champagne at the castle that doesn't really seem like a good comparison.

It's about as good an argument as pi$$ing and moaning about not getting beer at Gaston's in an entire park that's non-alcoholic........

DisneyNut2007

Since the Fantasyland Expansion was announced, there have been a number of critics of the concept. This is to be expected. You can't please everyone. And the FLE really isn't trying to. But I have to admit I am surprised by just how vehemently the FLE is still being attacked.

After reading through a number of threads about FLE being for girls-only or suggesting that Pixie Hollow should be replaced with <fill-in-the-blank> I've decided to start a thread specifically to address the complaints I have seen about FLE so far.

If you're an FLE critic, please feel free to challenge my points. I'm all for a good debate.

Criticism #1: The Fantasyland Expansion is just for little girls

My first response to this criticism is that it is overly simplistic. There will be boys who want to visit the new Fantasyland. There will also be teens, adults and elders without little girls who will visit the new Fantasyland as well.

Yes, the target demographic of the princess and fairy-themed sections of the new Fantasyland will be little girls. But that ignores the Dumbo-themed section of the expansion. And even the princesses and fairies will have appeal beyond their target demo. Just visit the current princess or fairies M&Gs to see who lines up. It’s not just little girls.

My second response to this criticism is to say “So what if it does appeal primarily to little girls?” Frankly, there is precious little in the parks that appeals primarily to this target demo. If you look at the majority of lands, themes and attractions, you will see that most of them are currently targeted towards what would traditionally be considered male fantasies; pirates, cowboys, astronauts, dinosaurs, etc. Yes, there’s stuff that could be considered gender neutral. But you’d have a hard time arguing that the parks as a whole don’t skew towards little boys currently.

What’s more, there is an obvious un-met demand for more princesses and fairies. Currently, the only offerings for princess fans are expensive (and hard to book) character meals, expensive make-overs (for which reservations are strongly recommended), meet and greets and a dark ride which is generally considered too scary for most of its target demographic. Fairy fans have one meet and greet which typically has hour-long waits shortly after opening.

Princess and fairies are big business for Disney. I did some research on Disney’s franchises and I very quickly found out that Disney Princesses are the number 1 franchise among girls 3-6 and represent a 4-billion-dollar/year business. Disney Fairies is a younger franchise. While it reported only 2-billion dollars in revenue in 2008, it shows growth whereas the princess franchise appears to have leveled off. Disney Fairies is the number 1 franchise among girls 6-9.

Despite immense popularity, these franchises are barely represented in the parks currently. The few offerings that are available are in extremely high demand in spite of the fact that many of them are expensive. Also, these aren’t big attractions. They are extremely low cost for Disney but guests flock to them.

In summary: There is a demand for more attractions aimed at girls; specifically princess and fairy attractions. The FL expansion will help to satisfy this demand.

More to come...

The post of the day. Bravo! :sohappy:

Please post Part 2 ASAP.

_Scar

No beer in MK is good. Let's keep it in Epcot people.

Gaston can't get drunk or he'll never kill that beast!

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
[/B]

Thats why I wouldn't build the Tavern :shrug:

Then don't go. But constantly complaining about the FLE is nothing more than being negative for that purpose alone. And spare me the "expressing my opinion" track; after so much negativity for a project that hasn't even started, the comments are less opinion and simply just trying to shout down those willing to give the new attractions a chance....

Bubb@

Sometimes its all about the kids.

I can't criticize making attractions that get kids (girls and/or boys) excited. Seeing my kids excited and having a good time is one way that I really have a good time.

HMF

Agreed, that was very well written. I can definitely see Disney wanting to capitalize on these franchises, because you see their imprint everywhere.
These "Franchises" are what is going to harm the Disney brand in the long run.

Avenger117

[/B]

Thats why I wouldn't build the Tavern :shrug:

Use your imagination or sneak in a mini bottle. :animwink:

But really I think the Gaston's Tavern is a cool idea. I can't wait to go there! I even had to put on the soundtrack when I read someone's post about putting antler's in all of their decorating.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom